Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-01-2008, 01:21 PM   #11
*SweetPea83*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: My friends reaction

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelouriaMom View Post
I've never thought of potty training as a developmental milestone. I mean, it's a milestone but I don't think it has much to do with development. Whatever makes you sis happy, I guess.

I hate that bad vibes that ECers get - that we are pushing their kids to PL too early or that the babies train us. Anyone who actually tries EC knows that you can't push a baby to do it. As for the notion of babies training moms, I heard a great argument "yes she trains me to take her to the potty just like she trained me to feed her when she's hungry." Hunger and elimination are both basic human needs and it seems strange that most people pay so much attention to one but ignore the other. OK rant over!
AGREED!!~

Advertisement

Old 05-01-2008, 03:37 PM   #12
Pavlov
Registered Users

DEVELOPMENT: the act or process of developing; growth; progress

So.. from what I understand above, not pissing on yourself does not relate to progress or growth. I'm not sure I understand. You also say you can't force your kid into "a potty training prodigy" yet your ideas are not anywhere near new.

Ivan Pavlov trained his dog to salivate at the sound of a bell during his research in the late 1800s to early 1900s. I'm taking my kid one step further. I've decided to train it like a real dog. run around with no clothes on and when it poops or pees in the floor, i rub its nose in it and leave them on the toilet for a couple hours. I don't see why it won't work... if only the kid could learn to cook and clean too. I'm tired of having to actually pay attention to the kid and check diapers and heaven knows i don't want to have to leave it "sitting in poo and pee every day"
Pavlov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 04:24 PM   #13
ky~momma
Registered Users

My Mood:

I agree, Pavlov. The only way a kid would be "sitting in pee and poo all day" is if the parent didn't change the diaper.
ky~momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 05:11 PM   #14
joy7s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

not sure where the two pp are going with their comments but.. I don't ec would like to but with three little ones running around, working part time and dh in school I just don't have the time...

that being said I admire people who ec!!!! lol about your friend who thinks pt is a milestone she obviously had it easy the first time. My DD took almost a year to potty learn and for a while would hide and poop in her panties!!! If I had the time/energy to put the effort into it I'd so do it!!
Spring Joy Jesus following,cding, extended bfing,tandem nursing (again!) , homeschooling, mama milk donating, semi crunchy and green mama. Unemployed ped RN married to my one and only n asl Terp since 2/16/00
my three princesses: a (6/26/04) s (9/15/06) and Z (8/5/08)
and little man Z (11/12/10)
joy7s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 08:36 PM   #15
ky~momma
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonah&bellasmom View Post
not only do I have this problem with friends, but family mostly. My sister insists that this is JUST NOT NORMAL, and that i'm the one that's being trained. Why doesn't she just sit in her own pee and poo everyday...... it's not too comfortable, i'd imagine!! Maybe they're just jealous that we (ECers) actually kinda have a thing going for us... and we are listening to our babies!! I don't think of it as her training me, but rather me listening to her!

I was stating that you don't have to EC to keep your kid from "sitting in pee and poo everyday".... Just change the diaper!
ky~momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 10:20 PM   #16
leighi123
Banned
seller

My Mood:

Its too bad that some people think that way - everyone Ive told thinks its interesting or a good idea and is impressed when I tell them that I never ever wash poop dipes anymore. My family thinks its pretty cool to sence we lived in asia for 14yrs where its a lot more common than here. I think EC is great!
leighi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 12:42 PM   #17
*SweetPea83*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ky~momma View Post
I was stating that you don't have to EC to keep your kid from "sitting in pee and poo everyday".... Just change the diaper!
I was talking about my sister....... or just in general. Some parents don't change diapers often. And also..... why train a child in such a way that you're going to have to completely retrain later?? Why not just start on the "training" from the beginning, making it the norm. I have a 3 1/2 yr old that is no were near being trained right now. I think that if I would've EC'd from the beginning, the potty would be normal to him, not the diaper. Were as with my 1 yr old... the potty is normal, and diapers are second choice. Just clarifying. Mind you.... my sister is only ALMOST 16, and doesn't have the slightest idea of being a parent.......
Old 05-03-2008, 03:39 PM   #18
*SweetPea83*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlov View Post
DEVELOPMENT: the act or process of developing; growth; progress

So.. from what I understand above, not pissing on yourself does not relate to progress or growth. I'm not sure I understand. You also say you can't force your kid into "a potty training prodigy" yet your ideas are not anywhere near new.

Ivan Pavlov trained his dog to salivate at the sound of a bell during his research in the late 1800s to early 1900s. I'm taking my kid one step further. I've decided to train it like a real dog. run around with no clothes on and when it poops or pees in the floor, i rub its nose in it and leave them on the toilet for a couple hours. I don't see why it won't work... if only the kid could learn to cook and clean too. I'm tired of having to actually pay attention to the kid and check diapers and heaven knows i don't want to have to leave it "sitting in poo and pee every day"
wow...... you're completely way off base with the concept of EC. I personally don't rub my childs nose in their mess... and I don't leave them on the toilet for hours. What you are describing is not EC. I think that if you aren't interested in EC, then you shouldn't be in this forum anyway, just my honest opinion.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:14 AM   #19
MadeInChina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgl View Post
Thankfully my family is pretty supportive. They think it is cool that dd goes on the potty. I know that part of my friend's comments are because of what an easy time she had with her son. He potty trained himself at 20 months. He had actually been asking her to take him potty when he had to go for several months and she would tell him no to go in his diaper. I keep thinking she may be in for a rude awakening with her dd. Whatever makes her happy. The few of my other friends who know about it find it interesting. One has a sil and bil who live in China, so it wasn't a new concept for them, they just didn't know you could start from birth. Her sil is coming back for the summer, so I am looking forward to talking to her about how they do it in China.
I live in China and see it everyday! Of course, they do it a little differently...sometimes right in the middle of the grocery store aisles! But, there's definitely something to be said for a 6 month old baby that can communicate they need to pee and be able to hold it! We haven't done it yet (I know...we're here where we can learn from the best!) because we're about to make a huge transition back to the states. But we're on the opposite end of the spectrum. We're surrounded by ECers and they think we're weird for doing diapers (CDing full time). Just this evening our friend asked us..."Isn't that bad for a child to sit in her pee for 12 hours at night?" It's nice to be surrounded by such EC support! We're in for a huge shock to our system though when we return to America and will be around people who use diapers! (granted they use sposies...but that's still a step closer than exposed split-pants bums!)
Old 05-10-2008, 03:37 AM   #20
TaivensMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

the whole word potty training urks me when it comes to ECing...I went to a friends BBQ and a gal who was floored by Skye using the potty the last time she saw her (and had a baby of her own) said to me "so how is potty training going" I was not in the mood to respond to her as I should have, like um yah we are not potty training her, I really just read her cues to when she needs to go and I am in no rush to have her fully trained...but instead I said oh well she goes when she needs to, but it's not like we are in undies all day yet or anything...she sort of hmmphed like thinking it was a waste of time so invest all that effort if she isn't even "potty trained" by her first birthday...but again thats just the vibe I got, not her actual words...but that is not what we ECers are after...we arn't even claiming it will make "potty training" happen earlier or anything...we are mearly communicating with our babies right?! but agian we are thought to be pushing our babies or trying to get attentions ourselves by doing this with outr babies...