View Poll Results: What BC method do you use while BF'ing?
IUD (Mirena, Copper) 18 42.86%
The Shot 1 2.38%
Condom, Spermicide, or the Like 16 38.10%
Other (Please Post!) 7 16.67%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-01-2008, 08:49 PM   #1
duck411
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Question Went against the IUD, took Mini Pill Scrip! :)

PLEASE HELP! I am in a dilemma...... I can't make up my mind. My doctor told me my only options for bc while bf'ing is the shot or the mirena - I DO NOT WANT THE SHOT! But I'm not so sure about the mirena... the way she explained it to me - you basically have sex - fertilize an egg - but then the egg doesn't implant and your life goes on - - - - eek! that seemed disturbing to me..... I'm also leary of it's side effects, the pain w/ insertion, etc... Has anyone ever had it b4? Are there any more options out there that she's not telling me about? (Other than like condoms, spermicides, and the like)? I have to call tomorrow to let them know that I want it if i do, so they can order it and I can have it inserted next week.............................. ugh...... cuz i know if hubby and i wait around for bc much longer - we'll have a major slip up w/ a BFP to go with it.........as a matter of fact im still waiting to see if AF comes this weekend - cuz we had a couple slip ups this past month.... of course, AF isn't dependable while BF'ing.... okay.... again... HELP!?

Advertisement

Celia -Wife to Garrett. WAHM to Reese (5) & Brooke (3). EDD for #3 11-17-2013.

Last edited by duck411; 05-02-2008 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Decided on BC
duck411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 09:55 PM   #2
aboutachild
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is the Mirena IUD the way to go while BF'ing?

Q. How does Mirena work?

A. There is no single explanation of how Mirena works.
Mirena may:

* Block sperm from reaching or fertilizing your egg
* Make the lining of your uterus thin (this may also result in benefits like less menstrual bleeding over time)
* Stop the release of your egg from your ovary (but this may not be the way it works in most cases)

It is believed that all 3 of these actions may work together to prevent pregnancy.

I just got this info from the Mirena web site. I don't think you got exactly the right info. Take a few minutes to look at the site they have a pretty extensive FAQ section.

Also, I just had mine done on Tuesday. It was uncomfortable and hurt a little, but NOTHING compared to the pain of labor. It really wasn't that bad, it only took like 10 min for the whole thing and only like 3 of those minutes was I uncomfortable. Then after I was done I went home made dinner and then went to a meeting.

If you have anyother ?s PM me I'd be glad to talk to you!
Robyn
ISO: Girly ToddlerHawk, Any kind of yarn, A yarn swift, Advocacy Ts in 3T for DD or L/XL for me (BF or CD), PP
aboutachild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 10:42 PM   #3
MySillySpawn
Registered Users

I had my mirena insterted Feb 13th.

I had spotting for 4 weeks straight.

I've now had it for 2 months and LOVE it.

i just went for my check, and everything looks fine.

insertion was sooo easy. NOTHING compared to labor.

I like it, i can't remember to take pills for the life of me.

Good luck!
MySillySpawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 12:02 AM   #4
pmills4
Registered Users

I had Mirena put in at my 6 week check up and love it. I had spotting for a few weeks but hey, I have not had my period since. It was a little uncomfortable having it put in but a couple of seconds of discomfort is much better than getting pregnant again. The only side effect that I had from it is that it decreased my milk supply a little bit. Nothing major though. I went on fenugreek and a natural supplement that I get from native remedies and am doing great now.(this is not a common side effect though). It works great and you don't have to worry about taking a pill everyday. I got the depo shot after I had my now 10 year old and had my period for 8 months straight and my mild dried up at 8 weeks ppd. IMO Mirena is a blessing.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:09 AM   #5
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

I got my mirena dec 20th, i bled heavy for a month then it stopped.
i spotted in january for like a day i think it was, and then again in feb i spotted for just 1 day, very lightish spotting. march/april nothing at all. yesterday i sort of spotted, nothing really and i think the mirena is pretty good if this is the kind of af i will be having..lol
the thig that scares me with it is, it has moved on mamas and can go through the uterus or something, it doesnt happen to everyone but nobody know if they ARE the one it will happen to.
some mamas have had their milk dry up, doesn't happen to everyone i think it is hit and miss. so far my supply is fine.
i wouldn't ever get the depo, it cause weight gain and i know mamas who now can not even get pg because of it. there are some actual message boards for mamas recovering from using the depo, i would stay far away.
I used to use the nuvaring, after i had ds1 and dd and i breastfed them both no problems. I was going to get on the ring again this time but then decided to just get the mirena and try it out. goodluck on whatever you decide.
if you search mirena users alot of links will come up here on diaperswappers that can help you decide, i read them all and have a few of my own
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 12:10 AM   #6
ocean_o_curls
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we just use condoms. You could do the mini pill you just have to take it every day
Old 05-02-2008, 12:40 AM   #7
slamont
Registered Users
seller

I use paragard, the non-hormonal iud. I really like it. I'm not sure why she mentioned those as being the only safe methods while bfing, they both still have hormones.
If you aren't comfortable with how the iud works then it probably isn't for you.
Old 05-02-2008, 02:01 AM   #8
duck411
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Ugh - I am so frustrated right now. If I get the Mirena - I'll have to likely wait a month, because my doc has to order the Mirena! I wasn't due to get AF til Tuesday and yesterday I went to pee and the blood literally just poured out - hadn't had any spotting prior to or anything........grrr........Cuz if i got it i was scheduled to get it next thursday. after that = i said i am so just gonna go get the shot today - but i see so many claims that its damaging to fertility in the long term.... the non-hormonal IUD was not recommended because of the heavy & painful periods i've always had . She didn't even tell me about the ring.... I thought about the Norplant thing - but looks like it'd hurt like H. IM STILL LOST, UNDECIDED, and TOTALLY FRUSTRATED!!
Celia -Wife to Garrett. WAHM to Reese (5) & Brooke (3). EDD for #3 11-17-2013.
duck411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 05:38 AM   #9
Calliope
Registered Users

Hmm....have you thought about the minipill? This is what my Dr. recommended as I have a moral issue with an IUD (for the reasons you mentioned...I DO NOT have any moral issue with a mama who chooses to use one, though). The minipill has a higher "oopsy" rate, but is still pretty effective for most women.

I know it is frustrating, I'm in the same boat right now. I seems like none of the options have drawbacks that I'm not willing to live with.

Good luck!
Calliope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 05:50 AM   #10
booty hunter
Queen of Funny Auotcorrects
seller
seller

My Mood:

We have always used natural family planning. It doesn't effect your milk and there are no side effects.Please feel free to pm if I can answer any questions.