View Poll Results: What BC method do you use while BF'ing?
IUD (Mirena, Copper) 18 42.86%
The Shot 1 2.38%
Condom, Spermicide, or the Like 16 38.10%
Other (Please Post!) 7 16.67%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-02-2008, 06:01 AM   #11
mom22girls
Registered Users
Formerly: jenmarie
seller

Re: Is the Mirena IUD the way to go while BF'ing?

Mini- pill here. You do have to take it at close to the exact time every day, though. I took it about 4 hours late and had bleeding the very next day when I wasn't scheduled to. So far (3 months in) no problems or side effects. And it hasn't affected my supply.

Advertisement

mom22girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 06:46 AM   #12
duck411
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

See, my doc never once mentioned the mini pill... I know it'd be a hassle to take it everyday & wat knot.... but I'm not morally or physically comfortable enough for the IUD or the shot...I'll be calling her as soon as they open @ 9. I'm praying that I can get em today -since I apparently AF has come to visit..... again...grrrr.... - never thot i'd be hoping DD would waking up every 2-3 hours in the night again.......
Celia -Wife to Garrett. WAHM to Reese (5) & Brooke (3). EDD for #3 11-17-2013.
duck411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 06:49 AM   #13
duck411
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdhutier View Post
We have always used natural family planning. It doesn't effect your milk and there are no side effects.Please feel free to pm if I can answer any questions.
We did that @ first - because I'd never taken any kind of bcps and wat knot... but i ended up pregnant, although I did miscarry. My doctor blamed my irregular cycles for it - and really gave me down the road for even attempting it....... oh well.......I wish hubby would just wear a condom and we could get over this fence, but he won't....... i feel like hormonal bc really messes with me, mood wise and physically...... ive taken ortho-cept, yasmin, alesse -sp?, and some other, but i don't remember what........
Old 05-02-2008, 07:36 AM   #14
edens_mom
Registered Users
seller

Yasmin really messed with my hormones too! I took it to regulate my cycles before DH and I got married. I have moral issues with both the pill (for BC) and IUDs so condoms it is for us. Do NOT go with something you are not comfortable with! Don't ever let your doctor tell you xyz are your only options, or ridicule you for choosing the way you did. The fertility awareness method works great for a lot of women, just not so well with irregular cycles. Don't be rushed into a decision that could impact lives
edens_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 07:49 AM   #15
SubliminalDarkness
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I know this isn't what you're asking about, but I really think you need to change doctors. Yours is giving you incorrect and in other cases partial information. That is NOT ok.

As for your actual question.... I have the Mirena. The reality is that the Mirena works in the same way a hormonal birth control pill does for most women. If you'd morally be ok with the pill, I think the Mirena falls under the same category. The Paraguard is slightly different, so I would evaluate that one under a separate umbrella.
I would avoid the shot for sure. Besides all the standard, common side effects(mood swings, loss of sex drive, etc.), if you react badly to it, there's nothing you can do about it until it wears off. Same thing with supply... It could destroy your supply, and it's not like you could just remove it or stop taking it. You'd be stuck with it.
The Mini-Pill is a good option for some people. But because it's so sensitive(like if you take it late, you could ovulate. If you're sick and vomit the pill, you could ovulate. etc.), I didn't feel comfortable relying on it.
SubliminalDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 08:03 AM   #16
duck411
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for all your advice and sharing your experiences everyone. I've went with the mini pill - She called me in a script for it - and I'm to start them Sunday... WISH ME , well US (me & hubby) LUCK! lol. THanks again!
Old 05-02-2008, 08:11 AM   #17
mom22girls
Registered Users
Formerly: jenmarie
seller

Pick a time of day that you always do something else and put your pills next to that spot. I always brush my teeth between 10:30-11:00 pm, so my pills are right there so I don't forget. Good luck. I hope it works out for you!
mom22girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 10:45 AM   #18
duck411
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'll prolly take em @ 8 pm, cuz that's when P-Jip always gets her bath.... so - on the back of the toilet w/ her bathtime bear they'll go! lol.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:51 AM   #19
topazdodge
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Went against the IUD, took Mini Pill Scrip! :)

I could never remember to take those mini pills at the same time every day, and that is super important to make them work properly. Dh & I use this single-use spermicide stuff from Walmart (also at other stores too), it comes in a box w/10 applicators like tampons and has gel in it. Works great, we are super fertile without it!

Free Crochet Longies Instructions Here
topazdodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 10:53 AM   #20
ClothDiaperMePlease
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Went against the IUD, took Mini Pill Scrip! :)

diaphragm or condoms work great mama. Just remember to use them

Combined with NPF these are best IMO.
ClothDiaperMePlease is offline   Reply With Quote