Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 05-02-2008, 08:15 AM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
What to ask a potential babysitter

I signed up for an online babysitting service to find a sitter during the days when I have doctor appointments. The only people that have every babysat have been family and one or 2 friends. A 20 year old girl emailed me about babysitting and we've been emailing but have decided to meet to chat some more. I'm wondering what to ask her. We've gone over the basics like experience, first aid/cpr training things like that but I know there other things to ask about. Suggestions?

Knitting mama behind North Star Knits
mama2logan&evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 12:26 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: What to ask a potential babysitter

My concern would be her availability, seeing as how she's 20 and may have college/work demands. I'd ask how much heads-up she would need so that she wouldn't be busy with other plans when you call for her services. I'd ask her ideologies in terms of discipline, childcare, etc. Does she seem to be on a AP wavelength, or at least on the same page as you about the things that are most important to you? I know that caregivers always say they'll treat your child the way you ask them to...but in times of crisis or chaos, their first reaction is often what they know, or agree with...which may be spanking, or hitting a child's hand when throwing a toy. JMO, but I think it's easy to say you'd use gentle discipline but if all you know is time outs and punishment, then when the kid is acting out like crazy, you're more likely to jump to *your* discipline technique b/c it's easy and more familiar to you than what your clients' do, which may not be, at least to you.

I'm rambling, sorry. Leaving DD in someone else's care besides family stresses me out...I'm afraid of the world and a mighty paranoid mama. I pity the poor person who will have to deal with me someday . I'm sure your kiddo will be fine though. I think it's important to see if your LO and the sitter 'click' too so I'd set up a few playdates with you so LO can get comfy with her while you're around. GL!
Whitney, wife to DH since 3/5/06 and proud homeschooling mama to Savannah (9/14/06) and River (11/5/08)
waa510 is offline   Reply With Quote