Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-07-2006, 10:04 AM   #1
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:
Clogged Duct?

My left boob is KILLING me. It is SO so so so sensitive when it's touched in one place. Like right next to the nipple? I dont know how to explain it. DD can still nurse from that side and it hurts.
Ive never had this before and I dont know what to do? A heating pad? Heat seems like it would good, or should it be cold? I dont want to dry up. She still nurses 2-4 times in 24 hours.
HELP ME!!!!!

Advertisement

Old 05-07-2006, 10:26 AM   #2
For The Love Of Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: tmolly
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Clogged Duct?

Yes, heat! heating pad, rice packs, even a sposie wet and heated in the microwave. Thermacare packs tucked in your bra are great for when you have to leave the house or overnight.

Next step is massage that lump, esp when nursing. Encourage nursing. Double check the latching on to make sure it's just right. If you BF with baby's chin pointing toward the lump that can help drain it. I find applying lansinoh helps to keep the nipple less tender. Check to see if there's a blister or scab on your nipple. Drink more fluids. You can take Lecithin capsules to help. Check out breastfeeding.com. http://www.breastfeeding.com/all_abo...nfections.html There's some good articles there! or kellymom.

I've been having the same trouble for the last few months since ds has turned one year old. I don't know why exactly and am wondering if it is due to hormonal changes in me. I still don't have AF so ? I think that ds takes lots of solids one day, then nurses hard the next and that contributes.

Let me know what helps you! It might help me, too!

Tabitha
For The Love Of Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 10:45 AM   #3
MamaJenn
Banned

My Mood:

hot shower and massage it...from body to tip....slowly of course. And try to use warm moist compresses in between showers.
ALSO take tylenol or something to help the pain! Motrin is ok
MamaJenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 11:54 AM   #4
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

THANK YOU!!!! I'll let you know what happens.
Old 05-07-2006, 12:54 PM   #5
Knittress
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hand expressing some milk while in the shower can help. Keep an eye on it. If the skin around it becomes red and hot to touch, get to a doctor.

I had similar symptoms a few months back. I was in severe pain every time he nursed. I figured we were about to have another bout of mastitis (not fun!), but after one particularly painful nursing session, I went to the bathroom and looked in the mirror. On the underside of my boob there was a place about the size of a dime that when I touched it, it popped and green pus came out. It was a clogged pore. He had scratched the skin, it became infected, and yeow!

Good luck!
Knittress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 01:08 PM   #6
MammaGehl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

also - keep an eye on your temperature. last week I had the same symptoms and took my temp -- 102.5! That's when you call the doctor... I hope it gets better, i know that HURTS
Old 05-07-2006, 06:17 PM   #7
iKim
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaJenn
hot shower and massage it...from body to tip....slowly of course. And try to use warm moist compresses in between showers.
ALSO take tylenol or something to help the pain! Motrin is ok
Yes, moist heat is the way to go, Take it from a Momma that has had mastitis 4 times , (3 times w/ my current babe...) and he is only 4months old. Be sure to take your temp and if you start to feel run down/achey...give your Dr. a call.

Kim
Old 05-07-2006, 07:22 PM   #8
Kele
Registered Users

My Mood:

GARLIC!!!! It got me through a plugged duct and mastitis w/o a dr (I have no insurance, so I thought I'd try). Just cut up a few raw pieces into swallow-able chunks and down 'em with tons of water. You'll be belching garlic, but it really helps!
And echinacea can help and I second taking lechtin.
Also you can check out lalecheleague.org and they have a forum where you can find out even more tricks and get questions answered.
Best wishes!
Old 05-07-2006, 07:28 PM   #9
deejahd
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes do everything the other mama's told you to do! I also had great success using my avent isis hand pump after DS nursed to remove my cloggs. Also nursing with the football hold with DC chin pointing toward the knot worked with us. Hope this resolves itself soon!
deejahd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 09:50 PM   #10
OneFabMama
Cause Thats How I Roll
seller

My Mood:

Well, I've been doing heat on it. I was getting dressed to go out to eat and I did notice redness where it hurts on the side of my nipple. I thought maybe it was from having the heat pack on it. I do have a headache, had one ALL day! I just took some Motrin. I've been DROWING in water as well. The redness went out. I dont a have a temp, nor do I feel achey. DD just nursed from that side and I think I'm pretty dry on that side but it doesnt really hurt that much when she does nurse from that side.
I'm keeping a close eye - we'll see about tomorrow, but Im gonna go put some more heat on it now!
Thanks mamas