Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-02-2008, 11:06 PM   #1
bubblesteach
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My 2 year old won't stay in her bed to sleep. Help me!

I'm so frustrated. I can't get my 2yr old to stay in her bed. She sleeps in her bed but when it's time for bedtime she wants out of her room. I have a gate on her door but she's getting to big for it and she's pushing it down. I don't want to bolt one into the wall b/c I feel that she needs to "learn" to stay in her bed when it's bed time. As I'm writing this she's talking and tugging on the gate trying to get out and it's 9:00 (2 hours past her bed time) Usually she will go right to sleep so 7 is a good bedtime for her but if she wakes up early like 4 am it's hard to keep her in her bed (even though she's tired) I want her to learn that when it's bedtime you stay in the bed. Please offer suggestions if you have them. Thanks

Advertisement

Old 05-02-2008, 11:10 PM   #2
amybabya
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: My 2 year old won't stay in her bed to sleep. Help me!

sit in her room with her until she goes to sleep. Every time she gets up, quietly and calmly put her back in bed. this will suck for a few days but it will work.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:24 PM   #3
bubblesteach
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have tried that and she laughs and giggles and talks. Even when I don't talk to her she still laughs and giggles and will eventually get out of the bed so that I have to tell her to get back in. I've also tried puting her back in bed w/out saying anything. I haven't found much success in this either. She still laughs and smiles and I feel like an idiot that's been ran over by a 2 year old. It's been 20min since I posted this thread and now she's crying and yelling mama, dada over and over and screaming off and on. I'm going to go insaine if she knocks the gate down again. It can't help either that up here in Alaska the sun sets at about midnight. She has blinds on her window but her blackout curtains are packed and I haven't unpacked them yet. I may just have to bite the bullet and buy more. They are just super expensive.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:35 PM   #4
amybabya
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

How long did you try it?

When I did this for DD, I was in her room for several hours for the first few times. It took well over a week too. Honestly, you just have to do it over and over and over again. The point is to show her that no matter how many times she does the behavior you are trying to avoid (getting up/laughing/whatever) you will correct it. You are basically proving to her that although she is stubborn, you will be more so.

BTW, DD sleeps in our room but I still had to do this for naps.
Old 05-03-2008, 01:04 AM   #5
leighi123
Banned
seller

My Mood:

My mom put blackout curtians in my room when I was little and it worked for me.
leighi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 02:06 AM   #6
tessa1002
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ugh, mama I know what you're going through! We tried to sit in there with DS, but it did NOT work for us. The only reason he was getting up to begin with was because he wanted the attention, so it just ended up becoming a hard to break, 2hr routine.

What I've been trying to impress upon him lately is that naptime/bedtime is time that we spend in our room. I told him that the light stays off, but he can play in there if he wants, read to himself, talk to himself, etc. If he feels tired he can sleep, but he doesn't have to. That way he feels like he has control of the situation. We have lost a couple naps because of this, but for the most part it has worked. He will play by himself for 15 minutes, and if he needs something he will open his door to let us know, but won't leave his room. For a while there he was opening the door an awful lot because he heard "giggling ducks", monsters, a ringing noise, etc, but we recently got a hamster to keep him company and its been working pretty well. We are down to 2, maybe 3 door openings a night, which isn't bad considering we tell him to let us know when he needs tucked in.

I read in "Parents" magazine once that a mama made her daughter 3 passes, and every pass was good for a nighttime visit from her mom. When she ran out of passes she had to stay in her room. Supposedly the little girl rarely even used them after a while, because she wanted to keep them in case she needed them. I think she was 3 though, it seems like it might not work for a 2yr old.

I do think that digging those blackout curtains out would definitely be worth it. The darkness really helps them wind down. I don't know what we would do without ours!
tessa1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 05:25 AM   #7
mama2logan&evan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Can you close the door with a babyproof knob cover on the inside? Logan can't open doors yet so we just close the door at bedtime. He doesn't always stay in his bed, he sometimes gets up to play with his animals or wake his brother up but as long as he's in his room I don't care.
Old 05-03-2008, 05:26 AM   #8
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessa1002 View Post
Ugh, mama I know what you're going through! We tried to sit in there with DS, but it did NOT work for us. The only reason he was getting up to begin with was because he wanted the attention, so it just ended up becoming a hard to break, 2hr routine.

What I've been trying to impress upon him lately is that naptime/bedtime is time that we spend in our room. I told him that the light stays off, but he can play in there if he wants, read to himself, talk to himself, etc. If he feels tired he can sleep, but he doesn't have to. That way he feels like he has control of the situation. We have lost a couple naps because of this, but for the most part it has worked. He will play by himself for 15 minutes, and if he needs something he will open his door to let us know, but won't leave his room. For a while there he was opening the door an awful lot because he heard "giggling ducks", monsters, a ringing noise, etc, but we recently got a hamster to keep him company and its been working pretty well. We are down to 2, maybe 3 door openings a night, which isn't bad considering we tell him to let us know when he needs tucked in.

I read in "Parents" magazine once that a mama made her daughter 3 passes, and every pass was good for a nighttime visit from her mom. When she ran out of passes she had to stay in her room. Supposedly the little girl rarely even used them after a while, because she wanted to keep them in case she needed them. I think she was 3 though, it seems like it might not work for a 2yr old.

I do think that digging those blackout curtains out would definitely be worth it. The darkness really helps them wind down. I don't know what we would do without ours!
First to the OP mama! The joys of parenting!

At first I was going to suggest what one poster said about being consistent and putting them back in bed and such. I know in Super Nanny she suggests this and the parents do and it can take quite some time too [Although personally I'm not a fan of super nanny at all, she's just not my style]...

However, what I've quoted from this mama has some awesome ideas!!!! I'm going to have to remember those for DS when we transition him [and his soon to be little brother]...but that will be another 2 years or so...we prefer to co-sleep until they reach around 3 years of age

But do try what Tessa suggested....what great input!!
Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 01:49 PM   #9
baby1577
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblesteach View Post
She has blinds on her window but her blackout curtains are packed and I haven't unpacked them yet. I may just have to bite the bullet and buy more. They are just super expensive.

I just wanted to mention, that we got the black out shades (the kind that unroll on a rod) at walmart for $7 each. They also have some that stick to the window, that were even less, I believe.

Good luck mama!
I am living the dream selling Plexus! Message me for info about a line of products that can help your family achieve overall wellness. Free shipping for all my DS mamas! Join my team today and find financial freedom! I have! http://shea7.myplexusproducts.com
baby1577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 06:31 PM   #10
bubblesteach
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you so much.