Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-03-2008, 06:16 AM   #1
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:
Sick kids...and a question about a symptom

Ds1 woke up from his nap yesterday with a very sore, swollen throat. Took him to the ped and they suspected strep, but turned out to be a virus that is similar to strep that is running rampant in the area right now. Anyway, ds1 isn't really concerning me at this point...his throat seems to be getting better and he's got a big of a fever, but nothing like it was yesterday. Ds2 is really clingy though and VERY pale. I work 3rd shift and pretty much JUST got home and he told me he puked in his room on the floor. Sure enough, there was "puke," but it was just mucous and saliva...so I'm thinking he was probably just coughing and that came up...not actual vomiting. He acts like he's not feeling very well, but pretty much his only symptom is being extremely pale (his lips are a pink/gray instead of the vibrant pink/red they normally are..)

I've never dealt with that being the primary or only symptom. What does it mean?

Advertisement

Last edited by jls~Kain~Drake; 05-03-2008 at 06:18 AM.
jls~Kain~Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 06:18 AM   #2
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Sick kids...

Additionally, he is a major milkaholic and he's wanting milk...but I'm almost afraid that he's going to start a day of vomiting any minute. Should I go ahead with the milk or wait and see?
Old 05-03-2008, 06:25 AM   #3
joshuas_mum
Registered Users

Re: Sick kids...and a question about a symptom

it sounds like he could be dehydrated especially as you say he's pale with grey lips. how are his eyes?? are they bright and alert or a little sunken??
i wouldnt give him milk, just clear fluids for now and little sips every 10mins or so not big gulps. do you have any pedilyte?? (im not sure what its called in america, im in australia)

joshuas_mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 06:36 AM   #4
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

No pedialyte, but he did just throw up...still just mucous. I think I would almost say that his eyes do look a little sunken in...he's got dark circles that kind of dip in. I've got him some water, but I'll probably leave here in just a minute and go get some pedialyte.
Old 05-03-2008, 06:46 AM   #5
joshuas_mum
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by jls~Kain~Drake View Post
No pedialyte, but he did just throw up...still just mucous. I think I would almost say that his eyes do look a little sunken in...he's got dark circles that kind of dip in. I've got him some water, but I'll probably leave here in just a minute and go get some pedialyte.

is he wheezing??? my ds has lung problems and asthma and he throws up mucus when he has bronchilitus. (not trying to worry you just a thought) it does sound like dehydration.
hospitals usually give 20mls of pedialyte every 20mins. so i would do that. and keep an eye on him, children can go downhill fast with dehydration.

i hope he gets better

Old 05-03-2008, 06:48 AM   #6
Katherine
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

No idea on the illness - dd just had hand foot and mouth, which gives them blisters in the mouth (and hands, feet....) but the blisters and fever at the beginning are the only symptoms, besides being in pain, grumpiness, etc.

As far as the milk - I wouldn't. I've had to clean up milk puke too many times - it comes out all curdled and stinky - I am still traumatized from one particularly memorable milk puke in her carseat in the parking lot at target. Whenever dd gets sick like that we switch to just water and juice until it passes.

eta - if he doesn't manage to keep liquids down and seems to get more dehydrated, I'd call the dr - my dd had to go to the hospital to get IV fluids once when she had rotavirus, and it was NOT a fun experience. Have you tried Popsicles? DD will take those when she won't take any other form of liquid.

Last edited by Katherine; 05-03-2008 at 06:50 AM.
Katherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 06:53 AM   #7
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

He's been hospitalized once for dehydration (rotavirus-like sickness and he was in the hospital for a week) and has been admitted for fluids (b/c of dehydration) twice (not recently). Each time, he went downhill FAST (like within just a few hours) and I didn't have to assess symptoms like sunken eyes, it was extremely obvious. Yesterday was the first time I'd ever dealt with a sore throat (with the kids) and now today having dehydration BEFORE bouts of vomiting and diarrhea is a new one too.

Thank you so much for your insight. I wouldn't have considered dehydration. Off to get pedialyte and take care of my little one. (He's puked again now, just mucous)

And regarding asthma, he gets seasonal asthma and has an inhaler...but as far as asthma symptoms ALL the time...not something we've dealt with. He doesn't have a cough and I haven't noticed any wheezing...but I'll listen more closely.

Thank you again
Old 05-03-2008, 06:59 AM   #8
joshuas_mum
Registered Users

i'd still give him his inhaler, it will help to break up and bring up more mucus. assuming he has ventolin or one similer. just to be on the safe side, it wont harm him. and i agree with the pp call your dr if he gets even slightly worse.

Old 05-03-2008, 07:18 AM   #9
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

When i first posted...

just now...
Old 05-03-2008, 07:24 AM   #10
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

Dang it....I had a reply typed out and browswer crashed. One handed typing, sorry.

There are pictures for an opinion on appearance of dehydration.

He just started puking again and his eyes were only partially open and they were rolling back. The puke was dark dark brown mucous....and smells like dog. I apologize for the details, but i'm concerned.