Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-03-2008, 10:18 AM   #1
mommyofnoah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
nursing lying down??

I just can't seem to get the positioning right for nursing lying down. are there any sites with good pics, etc. to help me get this? I'm exhausted from sitting up on the couch at night. thanks!

Advertisement

Old 05-03-2008, 11:16 AM   #2
doberbrat
Registered Users
seller

Re: nursing lying down??

check out the lll website - I know I've seen some good pics online somewhere but, I couldnt get the hang of it until dd was 6/7mo old. she had to grow to reach the breast and even then, it was bottom side only for a bit till she grew more

it does get better.
Mamma to the best dd 10/05 and Expecting #2 edd 11/29/09 and 2 furkids!
doberbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 01:06 PM   #3
Cyann
Registered Users
seller

I had to start by sort of sitting up for a long time. I couldn't get my son latched on if we were both lying down. It's sort of hard to explain, but say I wanted to nurse off my left side. I would lie down with my son on his side facing me, his head in about the right position to nurse. Then I would slip my right arm under him so that he was supported along my arm, with my right hand stabilizing his head and shoulders. Then I would get myself up on my left elbow while lifting the baby so that his body was more or less parallel to mine, cup my breast with my left hand, and latch him on with my right. This worked great for us for months; it sounds more complicated than it is.
Cyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 01:36 PM   #4
lydiamom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyann View Post
I had to start by sort of sitting up for a long time. I couldn't get my son latched on if we were both lying down. It's sort of hard to explain, but say I wanted to nurse off my left side. I would lie down with my son on his side facing me, his head in about the right position to nurse. Then I would slip my right arm under him so that he was supported along my arm, with my right hand stabilizing his head and shoulders. Then I would get myself up on my left elbow while lifting the baby so that his body was more or less parallel to mine, cup my breast with my left hand, and latch him on with my right. This worked great for us for months; it sounds more complicated than it is.
I sort of do this too--latch her on while up on my elbow holding my breast and her head, then once she's latched I lay myself down. With dd1 it was months before I could get the hang of it but I've been able to do it better with dd2. It also helps to have a pillow behind my back supporting me.

Baltic Creations co-op now open
lydiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 03:57 PM   #5
peeko621
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've just recently gotten the hang of this. When I want Liam to nurse on the right side, I lay him next to my right boob. Then with my left hand I pick his head up to help me position him better. With my right hand I grab my boob to aim better . Once he is latched on, I slide my right hand and arm under his head in a sort of cradle position, and lay down. Not sure if I'm explaining this right or not. It did take a lot of practice for me to get it right, but I just couldn't go one more night of sitting up. Here is a great link that has another explanation of how to do it: http://www.mother-2-mother.com/tut-layingdown.htm
Old 05-03-2008, 05:49 PM   #6
*Alabamamom*
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I just lay down on my side, with him facing me on his side too while nursing.. my arm I put under my pillow..
Granna to two amazing grandsons!! <3
*Alabamamom* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 07:15 PM   #7
joand2girls
Registered Users

This is my second baby and I could never do this with DD1 but I seem to be doing it ok with this one. I have large boobs so they just fall on the bed and I position baby on her side right next to me and done. It is by far my favorite position when I am tired on when I know she needs a nap.
joand2girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 07:27 PM   #8
mybabylove99
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We struggled with this a bit at first but now my boy is a pro. I had to get a lactation consultant to show me....2 times! I have it now where I can feed him from either breast laying on one side. I just turn my body and his to adjust. Wish I had a site with some good pics. Just keep trying...don't give up cause it's so easy once you get the hang of it.
Old 05-03-2008, 07:32 PM   #9
daisiesandmore
Registered Users
seller

I laid my little one's body across my chest for months when he was little (he is 18 mos. now). That really seemed to help us both be more comfortable.
daisiesandmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 08:28 PM   #10
mommy_have_it
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I lay on my side too, my daughters head is right at my chest level so that she kinda has to have her chin up higher, and I tuck her in tight to me so she is nice and snug. Also I put my arm under my pillow so I am less likely to move to much~good luck :0)
mommy_have_it is offline   Reply With Quote