Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-03-2008, 02:10 PM   #1
jensenlife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
PL(ers)Is dd ready? HELP?

BACKGROUND:my dd is 18 months old and we have had a potty for 6 months, just around, she plays w/ it and when we first started she would go on it sometimes but then she just started not being too interested and i put it away until about a few weeks ago when i took it out again. this time i put it on the real toilet not just the small chair.
THE STORY:well today after lunch, before nap, i put her on it (she hasnt gone pee on the big potty yet) and i really wanted her to go so we sat in there talking and reading for like 25 minutes. she never asked to get down so i was just hoping that she would go since she had just drunk like 10oz of milk at lunch, anyways she didnt go and so we washed her hands and she ran to the front room naked. i walked into her room to get a diaper and as i am leaving her room she is standing in the hall way, she then crowches down and starts to pee a little, she then says no, no (the same way i do when i tell her no!) I said, Ella, no! pee pee on the potty! and i picked her up and put her on the toilet again, i told her pee pee goes in the potty! and we sat there another 10 minutes and she didnt go any more
PLEASE HELP:so....what i am wondering is if she realizes what she needs to do yet or does she not. but i feel because she knew it was wrong to go on the floor, she told herself no, no!, that she does know what she is doing. so this is where i am at. what is the next step? please help! give me some tips and pointers please! TIA!

Advertisement

Old 05-04-2008, 07:36 PM   #2
queenbee
Registered Users

Re: PL(ers)Is dd ready? HELP?

Hey mama,
I am new to this board but want to offer up some thoughts to you -
My dd is also 18 months old, though we've been ec-ing since birth. One great piece of advice I got is that instead of offering a "no" for a pee that is, well, out of place, let her know that it's okay - acknowledge it (maybe even make your cue sound!). That will reduce the potential for anxiety around pee and let her know that it is okay to go (even in the hall!). She's just not associating the toilet with peeing. What she really needs is some positive associations with your cue sounds and with peeing so there should only be positives in it. How about this - spend some long naked mornings outside. When she pees, smile, be chill, and make the pee sound. Then clean her up. Then as time progresses, pick her up and hold her in a peeing position while she pees, and make the sound. If she's peeing in a diaper and you notice, make the sound. She just needs some good associations with peeing, then move to the peeing in toilet business. BTW, first thing after nap is the easiest pee to catch.

HTH. Good luck to you both!
queenbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 10:22 PM   #3
jensenlife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thanks mama! yea those are great tips! ill really try them! GL to you and your LO too!
Old 05-05-2008, 10:45 PM   #4
jensenlife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

anyone else have experience w/ this?
Old 05-06-2008, 02:37 PM   #5
jensenlife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Old 05-07-2008, 02:13 PM   #6
Beanie's Mom
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm in the same boat as you...we'll read on the potty FOREVER...and then he'll get up and pee on the floor...lol. I haven't tried any cueing yet, so I'm going to give that a go.

Good luck!!
Old 05-11-2008, 09:12 PM   #7
Indianamom*2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I didnt read the first response but DD is 14mo and we have been working with her for 2 months now, right after her first bday we started PLing and she did the peeing in the floor thing, still does actually, and she will say no no or uh uh and stand up and look to see if anyone is watching her.
If I catch her in time I tell her that we pee in the potty and set her on it and if she hasnt finishe in the floor then she will usually finish in the potty then clap and get a Kandoo out and wipe.

She knows that she isnt supposed to go in the floor but sometimes she just doesnt realize its coming and it hits her really fast and she just goes where she is at.

Just continue setting her on the potty when you catch her even if she has finished on the floor already and she will learn. I also learned that if I take the potty chair into the room that we are in, it helps a lot because I can get her there faster or she will go to it and lift the lid up that way I know she needs to go.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:32 AM   #8
jensenlife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianamom*2 View Post
I didnt read the first response but DD is 14mo and we have been working with her for 2 months now, right after her first bday we started PLing and she did the peeing in the floor thing, still does actually, and she will say no no or uh uh and stand up and look to see if anyone is watching her.
If I catch her in time I tell her that we pee in the potty and set her on it and if she hasnt finishe in the floor then she will usually finish in the potty then clap and get a Kandoo out and wipe.

She knows that she isnt supposed to go in the floor but sometimes she just doesnt realize its coming and it hits her really fast and she just goes where she is at.

Just continue setting her on the potty when you catch her even if she has finished on the floor already and she will learn. I also learned that if I take the potty chair into the room that we are in, it helps a lot because I can get her there faster or she will go to it and lift the lid up that way I know she needs to go.

my only problem w/ this is that she compleetly takes the chair apart, there are 3 different pieces the squishy seat, the rim and the frame, then when she goes its not ready maybe i should keep that one on the big potty and get a baby beorjn one any suggestions?
Old 05-12-2008, 10:43 AM   #9
cravnp99
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't have any personal experience to share, but will lead you to a link that you might find interesting:
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=418297
Praying for #2 - either by birth or adoption
Paula - Wife to youth pastor & Mamma to Alli born 01/03/07 & brought home on 01/05/07
cravnp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:34 PM   #10
jensenlife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

k ill check it out thanks!