Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-04-2008, 11:16 AM   #1
nickelmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Advice of BF'ing laying down and latching

My youngest DS is now officially one week old. This is my first child that I have successfully breastfed with. The other 2 I pumped. We aren't great at it yet but doing pretty good. I am healing from an emergency c-section so I have lots of time to relax and work with DS on nursing.

I have large breasts (40I) and doing the C hold to get him to latch on but sometimes it seems like a challenge to get him to latch on right away and can take anywhere from 30 seconds up to 5 minutes to get him latched on correctly. So with this being said at night when he wakes for a feeding I have been trying to do it laying down with no success of him latching on. Any advice?

Advertisement

Old 05-04-2008, 01:13 PM   #2
kezoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Advice of BF'ing laying down and latching

I always feed my kids laying down at night (I'm way too lazy to get up LOL!). One thing that might help - don't put your arm under your LO - let him lay right down on your bed and tuck your arm up under your pillow (so if you fall asleep, you physically cannot roll over onto your LO, as your arm won't bend that way!!). Snuggle your LO right up against your body, and flex his head back a bit, so he can breathe (otherwise his nose will be smashed against your breast), and then go ahead & tickle his lip w/ your nipple until he opens up wide and then with your free hand, push him up against your breast to latch on. Once he's on, make sure his bottom lip is flipped out (KWIM?). Hope that helps a bit - I *don't* have large breasts, so hopefully what I do translates for you!
kezoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 02:40 PM   #3
lydiamom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

PP has good advice. I have slightly large breasts and in order to latch dd on I lay down, prop myself up with my elbow, hold my breast with that hand and her head with my other hand, and sort of latch her on propped up and then lay myself down as soon as she is well latched. I wanted to mention though that it may not work until your lo has gotten good at latching--I am never able to nurse side-lying at first. Also I think its a little harder for large-breasted women. With dd1 it was a few months before we could do it, with dd2 it was about 3 weeks. We had to get good at regular breastfeeding first before doing the side-lying. Some other moms may have had more success more quickly, but I wanted to encourage you that if you can't do it right away, you could wait a few weeks and try again. Good luck mama!

Baltic Creations co-op now open
lydiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 05:15 PM   #4
duck411
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I could never nurse lying down til DD was about 2-3 months old. We do it alot now! She's 3 month 1 week and a few days. hehe. My boobs were just too big for her - 36F. But now it's pretty easy. Give it some time!
Celia -Wife to Garrett. WAHM to Reese (5) & Brooke (3). EDD for #3 11-17-2013.
duck411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 05:21 PM   #5
Manna00
Pinchin' pennies 'til they scream
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I think you have some great advice. DS and I seriously only nursed laying down after my c-section--and we still only nurse laying down now that he's almost 22 months old. You're doing great!
Manna00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 05:23 PM   #6
MRL2611
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I lay Dakota down flat on the bed/couch and put my arm under my pillow and I do have to help her latch on my nipple due to big tatas,lol. But we just started lying down and nursing. It took us almost 3 months to get here!
Old 05-04-2008, 08:04 PM   #7
thepinkdragon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Good luck! I was only able to successfully do this once this morning and I don't even remember exactly how I did it I just know I had my hand behind my head at first leaning on my elbow when latching. I have been experimenting with lying down positions so I can rest and also doing australian hold (lying on my back, a huge challenge I might add for a baby with no head control yet as he just flops around while trying to latch) so we can fight gravity because of my overactive letdown. I have 40J's and I have to push down part of my breast so he doesn't suffocate so there won't be any real sleeping while nursing in bed for me. If you find something that works well let me know!

thepinkdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 08:18 PM   #8
Sammymac'smamma
Registered Users

My Mood:

I always had trouble side laying, too. Sammy is 9 wks now, and I discovered a way to do it the other night that works REALLY well for us. I have size E's, too so hopefully this will help: I lay on my back with just my outside hip propped up with a pillow. She lays between my arm and side, with her head on my bicep (middle of my arm), and her bum in my hand (she is on her side). I like this because I don't have to hold her head with my hand, I just use my arm to move it on to my breast. I then tickle her lip until she latches on, and check the bottom lip to make sure it's good. I find that I can sleep very well this way, and bc I'm on my back, I don't roll over at all. Also, that annoying habit my boobs have of stuffing themselves into my armpits when I lay down actually helps here!!
Old 05-04-2008, 09:34 PM   #9
nickelmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for all the great advice mama's! I am going to take it slow and hopefully at some point me and little man will be able to BF laying down. I am just so grateful we are latching on and breastfeeding correctly.