Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-03-2008, 05:22 AM   #1
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:
Give me some snack ideas mamas :)

A friend of mine was telling me in one of the Dr. Sears book she read that he had an idea to have a "nibbler" tray for a toddler/young child. Basically you take an ice cube tray or something similar and in each cubby hole put in snacks that your child can nibble on throughout the day.

Now of course I want these to be healthy or at least close to it. But am having problems coming up with more ideas.

So help out wise mamas!!

He loves the Annie's brand organic bunny grahams and cheddar bunnies [but they shouldn't be his only staple KWIM?

I noticed now that the Gerber Graduates [I think that's the brand] sales a whole wheat vegetable cracker. We did end up trying those and he liked them...

But what else mamas?? [something that can sit out for a good amount of time too, nothing that will spoil.

Advertisement

Old 05-03-2008, 06:22 AM   #2
joshuas_mum
Registered Users

Re: Give me some snack ideas mamas :)

how about some dried fruit?? raisans, sultanas, the bags of mixed fruit.
cheerios. theres not really much you can just leave out all day without it spoiling or drying out.

joshuas_mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 08:41 AM   #3
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuas_mum View Post
how about some dried fruit?? raisans, sultanas, the bags of mixed fruit.
cheerios. theres not really much you can just leave out all day without it spoiling or drying out.
I know...now I'm curious to know what Dr. Sears recommended to put in the tray [in the book]...I'm going to have find out which book she was talking about!

But yeah, the raisins are good and he loves those....love the dried fruit idea!!!

Okay, I'm a dork...what are sultanas?
Old 05-04-2008, 10:13 AM   #4
ambear20
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We do this and it works wonderfully. My 2 year old actually goes to the drawer and pulls out the ice tray when he wants a snack. We also have a 4 yo that loves this too. I often fill one with dry items (mostly things that have been mentioned) that can stay out and I put steamed carrots, broccoli, etc and apple slices, strawberries, grapes, blueberries, etc in another one. That way I can leave the perishable items out for a shorter time and put back in fridge if I need to.

Our kids really like the dried fruits and veggies from a company called "just tomatoes". I think their site is justtomatoes.com. We stock up on them when we visit family near Charlotte. Lots of health food stores (Whole Foods, Fresh Market, etc.) carry them, but I believe you can order direct from website. Another mom on diaperswappers does a co-op on with them, which is a great way to get a lot of it discounted.

I'll think about what other things we have used and post back...
Old 05-04-2008, 10:41 AM   #5
benjaminsmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

Puff wheat/rice, ww crackers, goldfish crakers, mini muffins? The dried fruit/rasins is a good idea ben loves it.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:59 AM   #6
Kraysmommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

We use frozen peas, corn, and grapes. Even if it defrosts, it can still sit out for a while because it's cold. We also use cheese cubes of any type and peanut butter stuffed pretzels (Trader Joe's).

Spending my days babywearing, cloth diapering, breastfeeding and co-sleeping
Kraysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote