Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-07-2006, 05:59 PM   #11
rowynne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Purging the closets. What do you do?

I donate everything to the local thrift shops

Advertisement

rowynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 06:07 PM   #12
jjaelovesenglish
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracylhl
Wow, Carrie! You really helped out! Along the lines of what you said about the thrift store and career clothes, I remembered that we have a place not far away that helps people struggling w/ addictions and abuse to get homes and careers started again. I bet that they could really use some career kind of clothing! I would feel good about giving them this stuff. As with most of us SAHM's (and parents in general) I would like to get a little extra money out of this stuff when I know we spent a lot on it to start, but donating it directly to someone that can really benefit from it would be just as rewarding!

Keep the ideas coming, Girls. But I definately think that this is what I'll do with at least DH's suits and dress shirts that he's ummm.... not squeezing into so comfortably these days!
Call them up. They might even send a truck out to pick it all up, if there is a lot of clothes and stuff. That is what we did (an alcohol, drug and womens shleter), and they came and got it and were very greatful to have it.

In the end though, up to a week before the baby was born, we took stuff by the car load over to the goodwill and salvation army. (Goodwill was open from 9-9 to drop things off.
jjaelovesenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 12:27 AM   #13
jessicad
Registered Users

I donate everything. I have a huge problem parting with things too, but finally I just convinced myself that these clothes would be helping somebody and that made me feel a lot better about it. You can also deduct clothing donations on you taxes.
jessicad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 06:03 AM   #14
sunshineandlove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You've gotten good tips!
Keep in mind that with a baby it will probably help you out to itemize your taxes next year. Save all your medical receipts, etc. and you might be able to deduct them if your co-pays for your maternity visits or labs or hosptial stays end up being enough to deduct. I mention that because if you itemize you can also deduct non-cash donations up to $500. You can actually deduct more than $500 in non-cash if you keep good records.
That way you don't have to think about it as getting rid of things that cost you money, you can think of helping someone else and getting a tax deduction too!

Happily cloth diapered 2 babies!
sunshineandlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 11:14 AM   #15
offlikeapromdress
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

www.freecycle.org and then just select your city. We put a lot of stuff on there and that way people who need it get good use out of it.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:48 AM   #16
4kidzmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

I take all of mine to a thrift store. The money they make goes to help a local children's home.
4kidzmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 11:59 AM   #17
Watercolor Ponies
Professional, Proficient, PeeWell Procurer (or anything else you want me to stalk!)
seller

My Mood:

Does AmVets come to your area? They will take anything (and I do mean ANYTHING!) and they clean it up and auction it off to raise $ for Veterans, or they use the goods directly to give to Vets.
Watercolor Ponies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 12:25 PM   #18
Proverbs169
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

we do thrift stores as well. I have gotten rid of so much that way! You could also check around for drop boxes. The thrift store nearest to us is 20 minutes away but there are drop boxes at gas stations and a Stop and Shop nearby. That way I don't have to make a big trip just to donate.

I know that the Salvation Army here picks stuff up if you have a lot. You could call your local hospital and ask about a shelter- they won't tell you where it is but they might lyk where to drop things off.
Proverbs169 is offline   Reply With Quote