Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-05-2008, 07:06 AM   #11
slingmama4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What does your 2 yr old say? Any 2-3+ word sentences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Alabamamom* View Post
I feel like my guy is behind in comparision.. I think all the darn ear infections really had an impact because he couldn't hear clearly.. hopefully he'll catch up and bypass where he should be.. he sure does try and gets in the notion some days to repeat whatever I ask him to (he tries to anyways! LOL!) Some days he'll go to the gate at the bottom of the stairs and just holler loudly at the older kids to come down, and he'll jabber a whole mouth full like he's yelling at them and commanding them to get down here. He frowns his little eyebrows and puts his little hand in a fist.. it's is SOOO cute!
I meant to tell you that I keep a 2 1/2 yo little girl (b-day was Oct) and she is about on the same level as Layla. I think your DS is where HE SHOULD BE. Comparing will drive you bonkers. as long as he is developing and growing and you see his speech improving, then be confident that he's exactly where he should be. Every child is different and each develops at their own readiness.

My oldest DS didn't even try to say mommy until he was 16mo and now I can't get him to hush. Layla has a very outgoing personality too and wants to talk to everyone. I think personality has a lot to do with it too. If your LO is more laid back and has a quieter disposition, he may not try or want to speak a lot of words. I garuntee that he knows and understands so much more than what you think thouh. Give it time and he'll be talking up a storm.

Advertisement

Old 05-05-2008, 07:14 AM   #12
starrsmomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a very verbal dd that turned 2 in late January. Here is a video on you tube of her saying the pledge, we never worked in it, she just picked it up by going to the library at story time every week.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-pQETNfU_U

Last edited by starrsmomma; 05-05-2008 at 07:16 AM.
starrsmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 07:20 AM   #13
starrsmomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh an additional note, I have a friend whose son turned 2 last november and he isn't saying really ANYTHING (just Ma and Ba). He has been tested, parents are concerned and there are no hearing or comprehension problems, he just doesn't talk... they think he will soon. So, don't worry... it happens when the LO is ready.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:22 AM   #14
~Sherry~
Registered Users
seller

DD is almost 2. She says tons of one word things (last I counted was 75 at 17 months). She still uses one word answers until I ask another question:

B-
Momma- What would you like?
B- Halp!
Momma- Help with what?
B- Pull!
Momma Pull what?
B- Tair! (chair)
Momma- Where you you want your chair?
B- *points to where*

Somedays she'll just say whatever "Dirls? Pay? YEAH!" (Girls? Play? Yeah! She plays with the neighbors kids)

But 3/4 of the time it's repeating what I say like I, I, Love, Ove!, You, Ew.

And she's learns a word and moves on, she doesn't want to perfect it. Die, Die, Per, Per, Diaper, Buh-der!
~Sherry~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 07:41 AM   #15
doberbrat
Registered Users
seller

DD is 2.5 and is speaking in full sentences. At 12mo, dc did an evaluation noting her as being behind verbally. I was unconcerned. At 15mo, same thing. I spoke to the pedi who said not to worry, work on naming things and encouraging her to speak. At 18mo, she’d gained a couple of words. Pedi was happy said not to worry, a language explosion was coming. Then IT happened. The language explosion.

The dam burst and she HAS NOT STOPPED TALKING. Seriously. The instant her eyes open to the instant they fall shut. It’s a constant stream of talking.

Sometimes, we have to tell her too much talking not enough eating b/c meals are taking more htan 1hr b/c she’s talking so much. So, now, she’ll say Excuse me mommy, excuse me daddy, too much talking. She sings, tells stories.

For the most part we understand every word. Her teachers understand her fairly well too. Strangers don’t always get it.

So, its quite possible that his speech is a little delayed due to the ear infections but keep encouraging him to use his words, keep naming items as you see them and it’ll happen.

Mamma to the best dd 10/05 and Expecting #2 edd 11/29/09 and 2 furkids!
doberbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 09:16 AM   #16
*Alabamamom*
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Mine also babbles what sounds like big ole long sentences and paragraphs at times.. but I have NO CLUE what he is talking about.. lol.. sometimes I wonder if I am totally missing what he's saying because I'm not in tune enough... He even says things in a tone as if he's asking a question..
Granna to two amazing grandsons!! <3
*Alabamamom* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 09:39 AM   #17
Mom2CoopnBelle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son turned two in December. He says complete sentences, but that has just started recently. Before, he would repeat sentences that we would say, but I think he thought they were all one word... kwim? He wouldn't put them together himself.

Now he'll say...

is that baby sad?
She needs a nap.
My Dada's at work.
Want to go play with the kids.
This is Cooper's toy.
Can we do a puzzle?
Chocolate milk is my favorite.
Can we have burgers for lunch?
That is a big truck.

He does pretty well. He was always behind (at least I thought so) on speech, but it seems like he's doing well now.

All in time!
Old 05-05-2008, 11:06 AM   #18
tiffanyamanda
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DS is 28 months and he talks a lot. He's been talking for a long time and talks in huge sentences. More like a preschooler/kindergartener. He's advanced quite a bit since he turned 2. He was talking in roughly 5 or so word sentences around then. I don't think your DS is behind considering circumstances and all children are different. As long as he is doing his best to talk and communicate as much as he is then I would say he is doing great.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:51 AM   #19
lydiamom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My dd is 22 months and had a verbal explosion a couple months ago. She says mostly 3-4 word phrases, as well as some crazy words! She also always refers to herself in the third person, and gets her pronouns mixed up. She asks me to "hold you" or "feed you"

Just a few days ago she surprised us by counting to 10 without any help, and without us even asking! We never specifically taught her this, we think it is a result of many games of hide-and-seek!

Baltic Creations co-op now open
lydiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 03:36 PM   #20
ShayneLeMaster
no caption needed
seller

My Mood:

Gage will be 2 in June and has been saying for a month or so now...

"there is it"
where is it?
"lets go"
i wanna eat
more please "T" ( T= thanks)
and others like

wanna go outside
wanna play

new ones are coming daily, mixed in with some babbling

DH said he usually sounds like BOO on monsters INC