Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-04-2008, 11:34 PM   #1
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question for parents of toddlers who are or were in speech therapy

My dd is 20 months right now and qualified for speech therapy through EI when she was 17 months but we are still waiting on services. I was wondering what to expect and if you children who was behind in expresive language caught up. How behind were they and how long did it take to see progress? Did therapy help your child? Do you think it was helpful and worth it?

My dd can understand just about anything we say. She plays with her dolls imaginatively and feeds them and tries to put diapers on them. She can walk up and down the stairs and has always been good at climbing and can run and throw a ball. She laughs at jokes, does things to get us to laugh understands everything and can do some two step commands. She knows a lot of her body parts. She seems to learn new things every day. She just isn't talking. At her evaluation at 17 months they rated her at 11 months for expresive language but age level in receptive language, cognitive and social development. She was a little behind in her fine motor skill too. She has gotten a few more words since her evaluation but she still doesn't even have ten words. She had more words at 13 months than she does now and doesn't seem to be picking any up or replacing ones she lost.

I'm a little worried and wondering what to expect.

Advertisement

Last edited by nohollyhomaker; 05-04-2008 at 11:37 PM.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 12:34 AM   #2
kaylabelle05
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Question for parents of toddlers who are or were in speech therapy

My DD is in Speech now. She has been since November, a month after she turned 2. I honestly cannot tell you how much the Speech has helped because she refuses to speak while there. BUT she does say things at home or in the car that are said there. Her first word outside of "Dott, Mellow, Mommy, Daddy, hi, yeah" was "bubbles" which was what her SP had been working with her on. Her expressive lang is VERY low though her understood language is quite high. I wish I could get her to speak, but her extreme shyness is prohibiting that.

I know it helps because it helps my son. He has been in ST since Jan 2006. Without it, I doubt he would be able to speak like he does now.

DD may not be at a 2 yo level yet for Speech but she is getting there. My son is 9 and he is speaking at an 7-8yo level. But he lost his hearing/speech when he was 3 and has been working hard since 4 to regain it. Not bad for starting at age "0" when his got his cochlear implant in Dec 2002.
kaylabelle05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 06:51 AM   #3
Wendylady
Registered Users

My oldest is no longer a toddler but he was in speech therapy through ECI for about a year, then had speech therapy through the school district for the next two years. He's completely caught up now.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:18 AM   #4
proudmommaof4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Good question. My DS#2 is 20 months old and barely speaks at all. He only says mama and ugh. That's it. He was seen a few months ago and they are giving him till he turns 2 before seeing him again. My DD also was behind but didn't qualify for anything because she wasn't far enough behind, they have to be a minimum of 9 mos. behind here and most of the time they do not get help unless they are 12-14 months behind.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:04 PM   #5
Happygrl6
Registered Users
seller

My daughter was tested at 21 months. She tested at 9 months for expressive & 13 months for receptive. She started EI at 25 months. When she was tested at 36 months, she tested at 37 months for expressive and 48+ (the therapist stopped at that point) for receptive! So, yes, it really helped us!!

She will still need more therapy in about six months. She has apraxia and doesn't complete her words (bae instead of baby, etc.) and she'll need more to help her learn to complete words. But she can say SOOOO many more words now.

ISO Boyish Side-snapping AI2s in Mediums, especially Grasshoppers diapers
Happygrl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 02:51 PM   #6
HowBoutThat
Banned

My Mood:

Hi mama! My son is in ST. He started when he was 22 months old and at that point he was at 3-6 month level for both receptive and expressive language. At the same time, the ENT diagnosed him with significant hearing loss and inserted tubes. He did the same thing that your is doing. He would say words (tho not many) until he was 18 months and then it just stopped. Now he is 28 months and they just retested him. He is at a 18-24 month for expressive language but still only at 9-12 for receptive. But still, in 6 months, it is amazing the amount of words he learns and uses. ST helped a toooonnn! And if she does enroll in speech, and they test low still (as in my ds's receptive language) don't worry too much about it. He can do a lot of things, but because he can't do every single thing that they want a child his age to do, they can only put him in the highest range until he can successfully do every single thing in the age range (sorry if that doesn't make sense). He still doesn't understand the concept of in/out/under/over, which would have put him much higher than a 9-12 month old had he known them.
HowBoutThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 10:15 AM   #7
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

My DD is in ST but we're only 3 weeks into it, so I can't tell you if it's helping yet or not. She has gotten a few more words just since starting, but I don't know if it's b/c of the therapy or if it's me talking to her more or if she's just getting older or if it's b/c of her "reading" videos or what. So many variables.
I'm also a Younique presenter. Click here for naturally-based beauty care!
Harmony96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 01:56 PM   #8
wren76
Registered Users

My Mood:

My middle son has been in ST since October, and he has made tremendous progress. He's now transitioning out of Birth to Three services and into the school district, where he will continue to receive ST. He tested at age level with receptive skills but at 6-9 months with expressive skills when we started. He was also diagnosed with a short frenulum and recently had a frenectomy. Good luck!
wren76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 01:58 PM   #9
Masonsmommy06
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DS has just started this..he's 2 and only says 4 words and no sentances yet he understands commands wonderfully. They have only come out once but he now can tell us up.
Ashley~Wife to Martin~Mom to~Mason Karl 2/23/06 & Grace Nevaeh 7/26/07. Furmom to Peri 5-2-10 & Angel 04 & Aunt to Elisabeth Astrid 12/12/06, Stephen Lee 12/18/08, John Drake 12/22/10, Rayne Lyn 5/6/12, Connor Maxwell 7/11/12, Sarah Renee 3-7-13, & Rabecca May 4-20-13
Masonsmommy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 02:31 PM   #10
Maddie&Jake'sMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Maddie'sMom
seller

My Mood:

My 22 month old just qualified for speech therapy through EI as well. She didn't qualify at 17 months, but does now. She starts 5/20. She also graded extremely high in receptive speech and everything else (26-31 months), but its just expressive speech.

We;re anxious to get started.
Maddie&Jake'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote