Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-14-2006, 04:29 PM   #11
supermomelisa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: for mamas who take their babies to well child appointments.

We also go to regular checkups, as recommended by the ped. and vax.
My mother had polio as a child, and suffered with the after effects for the rest of her life, my child will NEVER have to go through that...

Advertisement

Old 09-14-2006, 04:44 PM   #12
ewebabymama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn5388
You know, my mother was told I was going to go blind within a couple years if i didn't have mine fixed, I was a small child then.. My mother didn't have the surgery.. and I have perfect Eyesight.

I'd be researching anything they might suggest for treatment.

I've never had problems telling when someone has lazy eye or not. Mine is Very slight, and i've had people ask me if I knew I had it. LOL
Miranda has a slight case herself, although it's never been Diagnosed. Well, besides anyone but myself. lol

The doctor told me if she gets a lazy eye we will do lazy eye drops or a patch, he never said surgery at all.

As far as always being able to tell if someone has a lazy eye, you may need to do some research about the differences between amblyopia, or lazy eye, and strabismus, or crossed eye. Having a crossed or turned eye does not deem you to have lazy eye. Also, you can have lazy eye without having a turned eye, which makes it very very important to me to make sure my daughter is watched closely. Having a turned eye does not always mean you have less than perfect vision. Lazy eye is caused by a variety of things, one of which is having different vision in each eye where as strabismus is caused when the brain doesn't develop in the appropriate way or from muscles keeping the eyes from turning in the same direction.
ewebabymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 04:47 PM   #13
EasterBun
Yarn Snob
seller

My Mood:

<sorry, duplicate post - my browser locked up on me!>

Last edited by EasterBun; 09-14-2006 at 04:48 PM.
EasterBun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 06:15 PM   #14
Lasciate
Registered Users

My Mood:

We go on time (3 weeks, 6 weeks, 3 months, 6 months, 12 months, 18 months, and next is 2 years) but our visits aren't tied to vaccinations - those are separate appointments. I like to have them done on time because then it's taken care of - we go in, weigh, measure, doc asks if she's been sick at all, I say no, he says she's doing great, come back in 6 months.
Lasciate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 06:30 PM   #15
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We go to our well baby visits on time for the most part. If they forget to schedule me and I call in and have to wait a couple weeks but not besides that. We also vax on time, besides the occasions my old dr's office was out of certain ones. All my kids have never had any major reactions. Fussiness, fever and sleepy. My 4yo son was actually short 1 dtap and his hep b series. So he got 2 shots to catch him up and will get his 2nd hep b before he goes to Kindergarten next yr. So spring time I guess.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:08 PM   #16
tessa1002
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We go to well visits on schedule. Medicaid pays for them, so its no big deal to me. I do however, skip my post NICU well visits altogether. He was in the NICU because he was born addicted to methadone, and since its widely known and accepted that it causes no lasting effects I don't see any reason to take him to those. They're a standard procedure mainly put in place for the preemies and babies with serious health problems, (who make up most of the NICU) and since my ped says he's doing great anyways I don't see any reason to subject ourselves to the crummy attitudes of the people working there who think I'm a crappy mom. (because of the methadone thing) Wow, that was a long run-on sentence.

I got off topic a little there.

sorry.
tessa1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 07:32 PM   #17
travelinmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That reminds me, I really should have taken him to a one year visit even though we are delaying vax. I just forgot to schedule it. Oh well, I guess better late than never. Because we travel a lot our dr. just says come in when you are in town. It's not a huge deal.
travelinmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 08:46 AM   #18
Iam2faboo
Registered Users

We go on time for a couple of reasons. 1. My insurance gives you a break on sick care if your well care is up-to-date 2. we vax 3. Both boys are medicated for a chronic condition (DS1-allergies DS2-reflux) so accurate weight is important for accurate dosage. and the younger one has has weight gain issues related to his reflux.
Iam2faboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 09:17 PM   #19
rliszkowski
Registered Users
seller

We go to the well-child visits, but are on a delayed vax schedule.
rliszkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 11:27 PM   #20
mamaneedsanap
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We are always a few months off with the well baby visit.
My son will be about 14 months when we go for his one year visit and We vax kinda on time but don't allow more than 2 shots at a time and only get inactive shots until after they are 2. I started making my appointments late cuz the dr. was getting annoying bugging me to get the MMR shot at every visit.
mamaneedsanap is offline   Reply With Quote