Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-10-2006, 05:34 PM   #1
Carrie
Registered Users

Sibling bed?

I just read some references to sibling beds in a post in the bfing section (thanks Bethany)! I'm wondering who has a sibling bed for their kiddos and how it is working out. Our twins are only 17 months, but there is already a full size bed in their room and it seems silly to get rid of it and buy two twin beds. They aren't co-sleeping now because they got too big to share a crib around 4 months old. Any advice? And when did your kiddos start to transition to the sibling bed?

Advertisement

Old 05-10-2006, 06:40 PM   #2
mommy2zander
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Sibling bed?

While our son is still in our bed & an only child at this point, I'm excited to hear other family's stories about sibling bed sharing!! What a great benefit to close child spacing or being a twin!!
mommy2zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 08:03 PM   #3
jennyofthemoon
Registered Users
seller

We had #1 and #2 in bed with us together, and we kicked out #1 (lol..world's worst sleeper). About 2 months later, #2 left our bed and decided that sleeping with his sis was better than the nice little tykes race car bed he had to have

#3 sleeps in bed withe me, but dh sleeps weird hours so alot of the time it is just her and I. Occasionally, she ditches me for #1, who now sleeps by herself except when invaded by the baby for the night, as #2 got bunkbeds (when #1 kicked him out cuz girls need privacy lol).

So..despite the complicateness of it all, it's actually very simple. Everyone sleeps where thye want to sleep as long it is okay with the person who owns the bed. The only rule we have about sleeping is that you have to sleep in a bedroom is you have to be up before 8:00 the next morning (and this is only because I have found that if the sleep sprawled over the house, as they like to, they don't sleep, they stay up all night and play).

We got some grief (from family members) when #'s 1 and 2 slept together, becuase one is a boy and one is a girl. Personally, I felt htat it was fine until one of them, or myself, felt is was an uncorfotable situation, and they transitioned themselves long before I became uncomfortable with it. I say whatever gets your family the most sleep, go with it!!!
jennyofthemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 03:06 PM   #4
bethanyjoy
Registered Users

Hehehehe I'm stalking the sleep threads today. LOL

Ours is a double bed, there's walls at 3 sides of it and a mesh guardrail on the fourth side, so it's very safe. I use a duvet with them (no sheets, much easier!) and they chose their own cute pillow cases. Oh another bonus is how much comfier a "real" matress is than a lot of toddler beds. LOL

It's so cute when I check on them during the night and they're snuggled together!! I love that. I think it depends on the kids, it's not something you'd want to force, but in our case they both wanted to sleep together.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:28 PM   #5
Quiverfillin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm so glad you brought this up! I was thinking about trying this when we get ready to kick Ruby out. Which will be awhile... but we just don't have room in our house for that many beds! I think the girls could share, even if they're 4 years apart, right?
Old 05-11-2006, 03:54 PM   #6
Carrie
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethanyjoy
It's so cute when I check on them during the night and they're snuggled together!! I love that. I think it depends on the kids, it's not something you'd want to force, but in our case they both wanted to sleep together.
Well, I guess I'll just ask them when the times comes. They're used to having their own crib, but they frequently want to visit brother in his crib when they wake up. Ours would be a double bed, probably just the box springs and mattress. It is very comfy!
Old 05-11-2006, 05:34 PM   #7
Shannon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have a sibling bed too. I didnt' even know it had a name though...LOL It just kinda worked out that way though, we didn't plan it. DD2 never did sleep in her crib...so it seemed silly to keep it up. So it was just DD1's twin bed in the room. Well DD2 gets to sleep in there with her but they both prefer to sleep with me...hehe. I dont' plan on getting DD2 her own bed until we have a bigger house...2 little girls can share a bed for awhile.

Marrying my wonderful Fiancee' Rodney on 6/26/20010
[/COLOR]Expecting to TTC in July 2010
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 09:56 PM   #8
AttachedMama
Registered Users
seller

We never thought about it either, but when DS was 4 and DD was 2 she started getting up in the middle of the night and wandering in to DS's room and would get into bed with him. It was so sweet..

They're 9 and 11 now so they sleep in their own beds lol...but right now they're sleeping in the "fort" they made under our desk and would want to KILL me if they knew I just took and posted this picture!

AttachedMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 08:30 AM   #9
punkmama3
Registered Users

My kids have a sibling bed. Ever since my oldest was 4, and his sister was 2, they have shared a bed (even though they have bunk beds, they prefer to sleep in the bottom bunk together). They would take turns sleeping in their bed and sleeping in ours, very cute! Sometimes, I put their baby brother with them, cause they ask for him to go to sleep with them. He loves it! He thinks he's such a big guy cause he's with his 2 older siblings, lol.

ETA: Here are my 3 in our bed one night:

Old DS feedback here: http://www.kikifoxito.com/ds/forum/i...p?topic=2838.0

Last edited by punkmama3; 05-15-2006 at 08:32 AM.
punkmama3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 10:30 AM   #10
c2afwife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Dh and BIL shared a bed for quite a few years! They loved it....they are so close now! They will tell each other that they love them with all their buddies around. It's really sweet to see that in brothers. DH and I never really thought about it but if it happens it happenes.....we won't force it or deture from it!
c2afwife is offline   Reply With Quote