Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-09-2006, 05:24 AM   #11
jennyofthemoon
Registered Users
seller

Re: Co-sleepers, where does your baby nap?

I'm not sure how old your baby is, but as she's napping 3-4 times a day, I'm assuming she's pretty small. That said, I don't think ANY of my kids went ot sleep alone (without me holding them and them usually nursing) until they were almost two.

As for where they slept for naps, sometimes I would dump them in bed, sometimes they would sleep in the sling, on the sofa, on the living room floor or outside under some shade ona blanket if we were outside. Wherever we were, i'd keep them close to me.

Advertisement

jennyofthemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 05:55 AM   #12
GrowingUpMad
If everyone was the same the world would be a VERY boring place.
seller

My Mood:

I was never one to hold the kids while they slept. I find that is my only time to get things done. While 90% of the time they do fall asleep in my arms I just transport them the bed usually. I;ve had my kids fall off the couch so I avoid that area and since we have a golden Retrieveer the floor w/ a blanket isn't hte best idea either. I always wanted to be one of those poeple who layed down while their baby slept and just took a bit to myself but that's just not me, I'm always on the go.
Old 05-14-2006, 10:23 PM   #13
rawkstarwife
Registered Users

Until he outgrew his swing at 8 or 9 months DS always napped in it. If he fell asleep in his stroller or sling I'd let him nap there too. Now he naps in our family bed.

I say, let sleeping babies sleep! They're asleep, that's the important thing - not their location!
rawkstarwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 10:36 PM   #14
tatumsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree! Who cares what others think. My dd is 13 weeks and we enjoy co-sleeping naps and nights. She is sleeping most of the night in a cradle, the first six hours, and then we finish the next 3 hours cuddling in our family bed. When i need to get things done around the house I just slip her into a sling once she had fallen to sleep in my arms. That way I can still enjoy every minute!
Jennifer: BFing, CDing, BWing, CSing SAHM, Expecting #2 in Jan 09!
tatumsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 11:18 PM   #15
wbkt8
Registered Users
seller

dd definitely mostly napped in-arms when she was small. probably around 4-5 months, i started lying down w/ her (in our bed) & nursing her to sleep there b/c i was total crap at transitioning her w/o waking her up. once she got more mobile & likely to fall out, i did the same, but on a blanket on the floor of her room. now that she's almost 20 months & can get in and out of the bed by herself she naps there or on the floor of her room still.

i didn't mind holding her esp. when she was really little, but now i really appreciate having some mommy recharge time while she's napping. i also think she gets longer naps in this way...but that may just be a function of age. sometimes she'll wake up a little early from her nap and want to come snuggle on my lap for a little extra snooze and that's fine.
Old 05-14-2006, 11:30 PM   #16
*MamaStacy*
Registered Users
Formerly: MyTwoSunshines
seller
seller

My Mood:

I guess I'm the same as most of the others. But my ds is almost 1 and still doesn't nap anywhere but in my arms. On occasion, he'll fall asleep in his playpen during playtime or I can lay him in the playpen once he's asleep. We don't even have a crib put up so his playpen and my bed are the only 2 places, besides someones arms, he has to sleep. It doesnt bother me, when he sleeps in my arms, it gives me a chance to lay down and rest for a few minutes too.
Expecting our Rainbow EDD 11/19/15 IT'S A GIRL!!!
*MamaStacy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 07:26 AM   #17
4kidzmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

When my son was small I held him during all of his naps too. I got a lot of grief from people about this, but it worked for us. Now that he's 2 1/2 I lay down with him to get him to sleep, but then I leave once he's out. This works really well for us and I don't care what others say!
4kidzmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 08:22 AM   #18
punkmama3
Registered Users

Have you tried carrying her in a sling? Then she could nap, play, and be carried while you do things around the house (sorry if this was mentioned, I haven't read the rest of the comments yet).

As for me, I would carry my son around, if I wasn't 7 mths pregnant, lol. He's about 22lbs and loooong, and carrying him for a very short time causes my back to ache something feirce. So, if he's tired, I just lay him down in the same room as me. Or, if I'm tired as well, I lay down with him. Either way, I'm usually in the same room, so I can make sure he's ok.

Old DS feedback here: http://www.kikifoxito.com/ds/forum/i...p?topic=2838.0
punkmama3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 02:38 PM   #19
navars2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Whether you're making a mistake or not is up to you. If you're fine with holding DC while napping, then you're not. If you're not fine with it, then you are. LOL Just be aware that it may take some work to change the routine.

As for where DC sleeps, DS sleeps at night in an Arm's Reach co-sleeper. If he wakes up once I'm already in bed, he comes to our bed and usually spends the remainder of the night there (well, sometimes I'll put him back in his bed or he'll roll there himself but not too often). Up until now, I have generally put him down for naps in the co-sleeper. I think I will need to move him to the pack and play for naps, though, as he's started figuring out how to crawl out of his bed (currently he can only get half of his body out but I do not expect this to last long). I have an older child, though, so napping in my arms is just not an option. With DD, I would nurse her to sleep in bed and then either we would both nap or I'd ease away and leave her on the bed napping. It worked well for us.
navars2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 03:06 PM   #20
geckoed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

all 4 kids napped in-arms for the first year exclusively and then it depended. My oldest weaned REALLY REALLY early so I just rocked him and put him in our bed after a year. My second nursed, but not to sleep so we'd just lay side-by-side in my bed or on the floor or on the couch and she'd go to sleep and I would leave her there. If she slept in my lap that was fine too. My 3rd napped in-arms for 2 solid years. I miss it. My DH works nights so now when daddy comes home and heads to bed he takes my little guy with him. My 4th is a toddler and still taking 3-4 naps in-arms a day. Sometimes I lasy him in the big blue chair and push the ottoman against it.
Just smile as and say as your baby drifts off or shortly after "I just love a sleeping baby don't you? I'm so glad I have the time to hold my sweetie"
My sister said "why don't you go put him down?" the other day and I said "I can't! I love this part!" I've said "maybe later, he feels so warm and cozy right now" and "aww he's like a kitty in my lap- only better!" and "no way! I'm holding him while I can- soon he won't want anything to do with this!"

Look happy and relaxed and act like its natural- it is. Don't apologize or be embarassed. Are you SORRY? Are you ashamed of caring this deeply for your child? So just because they aren't lucky enough to function in a snuggly-world like yours doesn't mean you should hide it. (It took me a couple kids to figure that out though! We had a CRIB for the first 2 and we took all the laundry out of it when we had guests but by #3 we'd sold the crib after it saw maybe 4 hours total use in 2 childrens time LOL!)