Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-06-2008, 11:32 PM   #11
kittykat2481
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: couple of newbie questions - help?

Oh, and ditto on the Target nursing tanks. I live in mine. I actually want to get more. I layer them under shirts for an instant nursing shirt, and they make it so easy nurse in the middle of the night without even waking up lol.

Advertisement

Old 05-07-2008, 07:40 AM   #12
alybeth
Registered Users

I have to agree with the last post, that you have gotten a lot of great advice and info here already. I'll add just a few things. Since I was not going to be working, I decided that I didn't need to shell out the $ for an electric pump, and just had a manual in the begining. DH and I had an event to go to when DS was just 2 weeks old (it killed me!!), so I started pumping very soon after birth. Because of this I ended up with an overabumdant supply, and stopped pumping totally to slow it down for a while. In your case it might be a good idead to start pumping soon, to help you 1) build up a high supply and demand, and 2) build up a good stockpile of frozen breast milk.

DS latched on great from the very begining, and so when we introduced the bottle at 2 weeks he had no problem accepting it or having ipple confusion. After that we would give him one every once in a while just so that he would continue taking a bottle.

Also, I did just order an electric pump, and got the AMEDA purely yours. Mine was only $150, but I ordered it without the carrying bag and other extras. I'm not sure how prices compared to the medala with the case and all. If you woud want to use a carrying bag of your own, and cooler to keep the pumped milk in it may be an option for you to get an elctric for a little cheaper. I absolutely love it, and love that the milk never goes into the tues, so there are less pieces to have to wash. =)

Oh and we use the playtex drop ins. They are BPA free. And I just realized that some freezer strorage bags, are compatible to use as the liner in the bottle, so you can just run them under warm water, drop in into the bottle and feed!

Good luck!! I'm sure you will be fine, since you are educating yourself now for all the what if's! That makes a big difference I think.
alybeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 07:43 AM   #13
alybeth
Registered Users

One last piece of advice. During the time that you will be home, it may be helpful to find a LLL group to go to. I actually starting going at the end of my pregnancy, so that I knew I would have someone to turn to if I did run into any problems right after birth. Not only is the support great, but it's so nice getting to know other nursing moms. =)
alybeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 08:58 AM   #14
duck411
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I swear by the Medela Pump In Style - I have the original tho.... I couldn't get by pumping once a day while taking classes, had to do it 2-3... got engorged and milk supply went down. I had a manual for the first 6 weeks while my supply was being established and i only pumped once a day with it - bout got carpal tunnel doing just that! lol. Don't buy too many nursing bras right now, just buy 2 or 3 one size bigger than what you are now - like prolly a 36D. I went from a small 36C to a 36F so.... yeah......my boob growth appears to have stopped now at 3 months and still needing the F cups. The best bottle for us has been the NUK. We've tried Avent, Playtex Drop Ins, etc... but NUK seems to work best. Don't go OB w/ the nipple butter - i did and it made my nips so soft, but kept them from tuffening up to bf'ing and hurt like a mofo. lol. One thing i wish i knew or had done b4 giving birth was realize the patience and time and sacrifice one has to have and make to breastfeed. I've learned alot in the last 3.5 months with the every hour or two hour feedings....Patience & Selflessness required!
Celia -Wife to Garrett. WAHM to Reese (5) & Brooke (3). EDD for #3 11-17-2013.
duck411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 09:36 PM   #15
carib20
Registered Users

3 - What would you suggest i stock up on before birth? I'm thinking nipple butter, but what else? I'm making my own breast pads, and am looking for nursing bras and such.
**i liked lanolin

4 - How long was it until you were at a stable bra size after giving birth? Maybe that's an ignorant question, but with dd, by boobs were HUGE right after birth, then shrunk right back when I did not nurse. How do I know what size bra to get? I'm a 34B pre-pregnancy and am about a 36C right now.
**i'm 6months pp and they seem to be everchanging....after my 2nd child

5 - My dh doesn't want to buy a pump until we know if I'm going to be successful at bf'ing, but I am concerned about building up a freezer stash...I have a manual pump now, would that be enough to begin with, or should I really get a good electric pump now or just after birth to really get a good stash going?
**i bought the avent pump. (which i dont recommend) but it has the electric part as well as the manual. i actually liked the manual better, as did a friend. we both thought we got more milk. if you wanted to start with an inexpensive manual hand pump you could test the waters.

6 - I'm terrified of the baby not taking a bottle - my bff's ds did that and she had to quit work. What bottles/nipple combos have worked for you? I am also concerned about getting bpa free bottles, but glass is not an option b/c the sitter doesn't want them around the other kids - too much chance they'll break.
**well my 6 month old refuses the bottle also, but i was able to stay home. i am going a little crazy....or a lot...but i figure she will eat if shes hungry enough.....not to say that i would ever starve her, but shes eating food now so i can get a little time away.
carib20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 10:07 PM   #16
ana010
Registered Users

My Mood:

1 - I am looking at the medela pump in style advance. Any drawbacks to that, things I should know?

I have the old model of this pump and it has worked through my 3 kids, plus I loaned it to SIL with my niece.

2 - I will only be able to pump once a day at work, around 11 or 11:30-ish. I can pump again after 3, but I could also just cross the street and pick up the baby and nurse at the sitters then, too, which I'd rather do. I've been reading about people needing to pump multiple times a day while at work. Has anyone successfully done it with just one pumping session while at work?

It is possible to only pump once per day and have nursing success. Your body can adjust. Be sure and nurse baby at home before school. I would rather nurse any time, than pump, so I would just pick her up and nurse. Be ready for marathon nursing or at least frequent snacking once you are home, especially the first few months, before you start solids. Just be creative with dinner and it will work, it is only a few short months.

3 - What would you suggest i stock up on before birth? I'm thinking nipple butter, but what else? I'm making my own breast pads, and am looking for nursing bras and such.

Medela bras were my favorite. Plus one I found in a Motherwear catalog. Can't remember brand, but supportive with no underwire and a teeny bit of lace at cleavage area.

I preferred lanolin to nb.

4 - How long was it until you were at a stable bra size after giving birth? Maybe that's an ignorant question, but with dd, by boobs were HUGE right after birth, then shrunk right back when I did not nurse. How do I know what size bra to get? I'm a 34B pre-pregnancy and am about a 36C right now.

Was the same size during pg and after with all 3. Everybody is different on this one. Make sure you wait until after milk is in to spend any real money on a bra. Go to Target (maybe new employee will be there) get a cheapy. I had a Playtex from wal-mart. Functionality was great, I just got hot in it. Use your nursing tanks, plus get a sleep bra until your after 1st week and milk is in.

5 - My dh doesn't want to buy a pump until we know if I'm going to be successful at bf'ing, but I am concerned about building up a freezer stash...I have a manual pump now, would that be enough to begin with, or should I really get a good electric pump now or just after birth to really get a good stash going?

With our 1st my dh was resistant to buy pump, too. DEFINITELY rent a hospital grade pump to use to build stash for return to work. I wouldn't begin pumping regularly until you have a good, established milk supply.
Around 2 weeks old I would pump some milk and have dh feed dd to introduce the bottle. I used Playtex drop ins with 3rd baby and they worked great and were easy. Don't let her get much older than 4 weeks without introducing bottle. She may take a bit to warm up to it, or you may have to try several bottles to find one she will eat from. Also, the morning time, after first feed is the best time to pump.

7 - if you wish you'd known one thing or done one thing differently when you started, what is it?[/QUOTE]
This is the VERY BEST thing you can do for your baby. Do NOT be deterred. Your dh may not "get it" but the literature is out there to support your decision. Also, it's not easy for everyone. I spent the first few weeks with each child with nipple pain, and soreness. LC tell you it doesn't have to happen, but I never figured out how to prevent. But it was oh so worth it once we passed the 1st 2-3 weeks.
Let others help, with anything and everything. Find a IRL friend, mother, sister, etc (LLL may help with this) who has successfully breastfed and do not let embarrassment keep you from asking any and every question you have, esp once baby arrives.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Old 05-08-2008, 07:01 AM   #17
peeko621
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am in the same boat you are in. I will be returning back to work in three weeks (for 3 weeks before summer starts) and I am just as worried about continuing my bf'ing. I wasn't successful with my first lo (we went about 1 month before I gave up), and this time I am determined to make this work. Thanks for asking all of these questions! It's been so helpful!
Old 05-08-2008, 03:23 PM   #18
Katherine
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Wow - thanks for all the awesome advice. I will literally be printing and studying your advice

This might be a stupid question, but the nipple shields for the pump - I know there are def. sizes. Do they relate to the size of your breasts, nipples, position of mars in relation to the tides, anything?

I have seen the pumps on Craigslist - I think I can convince dh to get one that way, since we can resell it for almost as much as we paid if it doesn't work out - I'm going to just act as though it WILL work out, but for dh's sake, I'll phrase it that way. I do have a friend who has bf'd 2 babies now, and even tandemed with her then-2yo after she had the second, and I know she'll be great for advice.

Oh, and one more question - is it normal to be leaking, like, a LOT at 36 weeks pg? I started leaking about a month ago and now it's to the point where I need nursing pads, can't go braless, and can actually express a creamy colored substance. This SO did not happen with dd - tell me I'm not abnormal.
Katherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 04:29 PM   #19
edens_mom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine View Post
Oh, and one more question - is it normal to be leaking, like, a LOT at 36 weeks pg? I started leaking about a month ago and now it's to the point where I need nursing pads, can't go braless, and can actually express a creamy colored substance. This SO did not happen with dd - tell me I'm not abnormal.
I'm only on DC#1 but I've heard for 2nd, 3rd, etc pregnancies that's normal!
edens_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 08:25 PM   #20
melodyjstray
Registered Users
seller

I have both the Medela Pump in Style and the manual Avent Isis. For the first couple of weeks after DD was born, I actually *only* used the manual pump, and I ended up building up a HUGE freezer stash... For me, I found it was more convenient. I would use it after DD was finished nursing, and I could usually get an ounce or two, then add some more to it later. I used the electric pump if she was actually going to miss a feeding entirely. So, that's the long way of saying, that yes-- I do think you can build a freezer stash without an electric pump, it will just take a little longer to pump. Good luck, mama!
melodyjstray is offline   Reply With Quote