Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-10-2008, 01:46 PM   #1
cm.thomas
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
talk to me about pyloric stenosis

Ds is 12 wks old and has been spitting up/vomiting since he was about 2 wks old. He was diagnosed w/ reflux and put on Zantac. That helped with the fussiness but of course not with the vomiting. Now he's started projectile vomiting more,(he had in the past but it's never consistant). He's barely gaining weight (gained 3 oz in 3 wks) and is having less wet diapers than usual. So it seems it could be pyloric stenosis or severe reflux.

We go on Tuesday for an ultrasound to hopefully rule out pyloric stenosis but my question is, what was your expereince with it? Did you DC have ALL they symptoms like diarrhea, always projectile vomiting, the 'wave' in the stomach before vomiting, dehydration, bulging belly, the 'olive' bulge in the belly?

The only symptom ds has is the vomiting and failure to gain weight which is making me think he doesn't have this. Any thoughts? I'm just going crazy here waiting till Tuesday to find out what is going on with my little guy!

Tell me about your experience and your DC's symptoms please!

Advertisement

ISO:BSRB TIANs
cm.thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 01:50 PM   #2
bryvaeh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: talk to me about pyloric stenosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm.thomas View Post
Ds is 12 wks old and has been spitting up/vomiting since he was about 2 wks old. He was diagnosed w/ reflux and put on Zantac. That helped with the fussiness but of course not with the vomiting. Now he's started projectile vomiting more,(he had in the past but it's never consistant). He's barely gaining weight (gained 3 oz in 3 wks) and is having less wet diapers than usual. So it seems it could be pyloric stenosis or severe reflux.

We go on Tuesday for an ultrasound to hopefully rule out pyloric stenosis but my question is, what was your expereince with it? Did you DC have ALL they symptoms like diarrhea, always projectile vomiting, the 'wave' in the stomach before vomiting, dehydration, bulging belly, the 'olive' bulge in the belly?

The only symptom ds has is the vomiting and failure to gain weight which is making me think he doesn't have this. Any thoughts? I'm just going crazy here waiting till Tuesday to find out what is going on with my little guy!

Tell me about your experience and your DC's symptoms please!
DD had this and did not have all the symptoms. She gained weight really fast after being born and then stopped all of a sudden and started projectile vomiting everything. Those were her only symptoms. But thankfully it is a fairly minor surgery to correct it and she is now off the charts for her weight for age since she is so big! HTH mama!
Old 05-10-2008, 01:56 PM   #3
piccolo41099
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My second son has this.
All he ever did was puke. That was his only symptom. He was also old for diagnosis. He was 4 months old and was 16 lbs.

But when we did the barium xray/ultrasound the Doctors just could not believe he could weight that much.

He had surgery the next day. It was a quick surgery, about a half hour or a bit less. His scar is about one inch long.

He did great, and it was sooooooooooooo nice to nurse him after that, because all the milk would stay down, instead of getting puked all over me.

Good luck!
Old 05-10-2008, 02:02 PM   #4
WhatWasIThinking
Registered Users

My Mood:

My oldest son was diagnosed with it when he was 3 1/2 weeks old, surgery at 4 weeks. The only symptom was weight loss and projectile vomiting. nak
WhatWasIThinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 02:47 PM   #5
trilla_marion
Registered Users

My Mood:

hmm...well I don't know my DH had this as a baby and had surgery at 5 weeks...the only thing he had was projectile vomiting and he only did it twice before my super paranoid mil had him at the peds...lol his wasn't even anywhere near being closed so he wasn't losing weight or getting dehydrated. Good luck. Hopefully it's not that so he doesn't have to have surgery. The scar starts out small but it will definitely get bigger as they grow...my husbands is now located on his chest and is about 5 inches long...but you know, it's no big deal. hehe
Old 05-10-2008, 03:26 PM   #6
MCR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ds had the projectile vomiting adn the gurgle tummy rumble about 30 seconds before it all came back. He gained weight like a little trooper and didn't have diarrhea. I spent a lot of time keeping him upright and limiting his feeds, we did one side each feed every two hours so he wouldn't over fill. Then He stayed upright no jiggle for at least 30 minutes, no burping him ever.
He never grew out of it really, but stopped most of the vomiting by 1st grade. He still throws up more than anyone I know and is a chunk
Old 05-10-2008, 08:00 PM   #7
mama2logan&evan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Logan had it at 4 weeks old and the only symptom was the vomitting.