Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-06-2008, 07:51 AM   #1
monami7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
International adoptions

Just wanted to say I am soooo happy this made it!!!
Dh and I have been through 2 international adoptions. I would love to answer questions for anyone who is thinking of this route.
Heidi

Advertisement

Old 05-06-2008, 01:54 PM   #2
redsonja
Registered Users
seller

Re: International adoptions

I'm also an international adoption mama, who would be thrilled to answer questions!
Old 05-06-2008, 02:25 PM   #3
TestifyToLove
Registered Users
seller

We too have been through 2 international adoptions. If we adopt again, we will return to international as we are DONE dealing with the US fostercare system once we finalize on our newest kiddo this fall.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:18 PM   #4
ddewan
Registered Users
seller

Where did you all adopt from? What was the process like? How long did each adoption take start to finish? DH and I would like to adopt our 3rd baby, but don't know where to start or how far in advance we should begin the process.
ddewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 07:23 PM   #5
tink
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes, please share with us the countries that you adopted from. DD was adopted domestically, but our plans include more children, so please give the low-down!
tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:30 PM   #6
nkmeldrim
Registered Users
seller

We are in the process of doing our home study to adopt our daughter from China. Hopefully in 4 months we will have our LID! Then the crazy almos 3 year wait begins. I am half Chinese and this has always been my dream.
nkmeldrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:42 PM   #7
addiesmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We're currently adopting from Ethiopia. We're done with all the paperchasing and are on the waiting list for a referral.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:52 PM   #8
TestifyToLove
Registered Users
seller

Oops. Our oldest is from W. Africa. Our 3rd son is from India. Our first adoption took 9 months and 3 days from the day we contacted the agency to the day my baby stepped into my arms forever. Our second adoption involved 2 lost referrals, a closed country program and a false rabbit trail in domestic infant adoption before we finally made contact with the agency who placed our son with us. From the point we made contact with them to the point we flew to India to bring him home took 9 months, only 5 months from the point we actually got our dossier sent off to India.

I honestly don't know what the India program looks like right now. I heard they changed the process to make it faster last year. However, ours was expediated because of the significant medical issues of our son. If we had not gotten caught in the summer shut-down in Bangalore, it probably only taken 3 months in India versus the 5 it took. Bangalore shuts down for 6 weeks in May and June and our case hit the courts just as they shut down.

If we adopt again, we'll probably go back to the African continent. Though, I don't know that we would return to the same country where our son came from. Until we became immersed in our domestic adoption in the last year, I kept very informed about programs in Africa, children coming home and where programs were looking to open up. I'm not as up to date as I used to be, but its easy to catch back up just the same.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:55 PM   #9
ajcastle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We are in the midst of adopting our daughter, Amaya, from Korea. We are at the tale end here and expecting her to be home this summer! Can't wait (btw HI redsonja, I recognize your avatar from the other board )
Old 05-06-2008, 09:37 PM   #10
Erinne
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by TestifyToLove View Post
We too have been through 2 international adoptions. If we adopt again, we will return to international as we are DONE dealing with the US fostercare system once we finalize on our newest kiddo this fall.
Um, may I ask, what makes you say that? We are just doing our paperwork now, and we have had some problems with things that were supposed to be mailed to us not coming, but other than that it's going well so far. Oh, and finding out that breastfeeding a foster child can be considered abuse (?!?), but since we found out before we have even been placed, I guess it's not too big of a problem. Have you had a lot of problems? Any advice for the newbies?
Erinne is offline   Reply With Quote