Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-07-2008, 05:29 PM   #1
shureeg
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
5 min nursing

so this is 2nd time around nursing. with my first I know she was a very efficient eater and I had a really fast letdown b/c I was pumping to get a freezer stash going at the same time she would be finished eating in about 5-7 min. I was worried about it but she was always satisfied and such... well, this new lil one is finished eating in 5 min only nurses one side. again I'm pumping to get a freezer stash going. she's having lots of poopy and wet dipes. and she turns away from breast. I figure that this is ok for her but I just need a bit of reasurance as she's super tiny on ly 4lbs 12 oz she's 7 days old and latching on great. please tell me this is ok there's so much hype about they must nurse each side for 10 min yadda yadda she won't even nurse one side for 10 min. any tips to get her to nurse longer if you think this isn't right would be great!
Oh wanted to say also 2nd time around nursing has been sooo much easier than 1st time. I'm much less stressed except this one issue.

Advertisement

ISO: snappiable fitteds
shureeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:29 PM   #2
shureeg
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: 5 min nursing

wanted to add I can hear her swallowing and see her sucking too.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:29 PM   #3
mich1783
Registered Users

My DD has always been a quick nurser. Shes 6mnths now, and I'm lucky if she eats for maybe 2-3min. I wouldn't worry about it, as long as the diaper count is fine. I worried for so long, but at 4mnths when DD was 18Ibs, I quit worrying.
mich1783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 07:37 PM   #4
mdeveer
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Although DD was a marathon nurser (would've stayed on 24/7 if allowed), DS needed 5-10 min max (total time for both sides) - and he weighed 8 lbs 6 oz at birth! The ped always laughed and said I must have a serious let-down and DS just has good suction. For the first 3 months of his life he only nursed 2-5 minutes per side every 3 hours. It was awesome after dealing with DD (and having a 1-1/2-year-old at the time!). To answer simply: it's fine and normal for you and yours. Good luck and stop worrying - it's the best way to dry yourself up quick.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:34 PM   #5
blessed3times
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't worry a bit about it. My last ds weighed 10lbs 14oz when he was born and he nursed (and still does) for about 5 minutes top. And, he only ever nursed on one side. And, he's a plump 27 pounds now at 14 months. I was a little worried too at first because my 3rd son took f.o.r.e.v.e.r!! But, as long as your dd is wetting/pooping/etc like you say, I wouldn't worry a bit.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:07 PM   #6
shureeg
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

oh thank you I think I just needed the reasurance! I feel so much better than my dd isnot the only one like this and I'm not the only one with a fast letdown. I tell my doc it only takes this long for her to nurse and he looks worried. I'm swiching peds soon though he jsut isn't for me. got all ancy around me trying to nurse madelyn. said he had a special room for nursing mothers if I wanted to go in there. I told him no I was fine and she would be done in a sec. wierd I thought.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:23 PM   #7
kittykat2481
Registered Users

My Mood:

I don't have anything to add that others haven't already said, other than find a supportive, pro-breastfeeding pedi! When we met our pedi when I was still pregnant, she told me some of her experiences with nursing her 13 month old, and gave me her cell phone number in case I needed help in the middle of the night. I knew right then we were going to be taking DS to her!

Also remember, new borns (especially tiny peanuts like yours) are tired, and nursing takes alot of energy. If she's getting what she needs from just a few minutes of nursing, it's better that she not push it and end up burning more calories than she's taking in, KWIM? You're doing great! Keep it up!