Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-15-2006, 08:51 AM   #1
Severine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question How many dipes for newborn at hospital?

Yeah, I'm planning FAR ahead. But I'm curious. And oddly, I think I've asked this before, though I don't recall the answers... How many dipes should I bring to the hospital if I want to use cloth from birth? The hospital is 1 hour from our house, so there will be no laundry done during the stay.

Part 2 - what do you recommend? I have *terrible* luck getting prefolds on right when it comes to poo. And yes, DD did have that sticky tar poo at the hospital before we left so I'm taking that into consideration. Are Kissaluvs the standard if you want to use fitteds?

Advertisement

Severine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 09:15 AM   #2
keegans_mommy
I had the CD wagon impounded!
seller

My Mood:
Re: How many dipes for newborn at hospital?

I am wondering the same thing and I am not even PG yet

But I would love to start from the very beginning. I would like to do PF's with a plain cover and rice paper liners for the meconium poo's And if this is a normal vaginal birth, I am OUTTA THERE after 24 hours so a large wetbag should be good. Any longer than that, my DH can take them home (15 min. away) and wash them

But I wondered the same: how many to take and what keeps in BF poo?
Old 09-15-2006, 09:47 AM   #3
Christy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It depends on how long you will be there. We were only there 24 hours and we used 5. They don't do much those first few days. HTHs! :-)
Old 09-15-2006, 09:55 AM   #4
Fuzzi Fannies Creations
Temptress of Fuzzi Fannies Diapers
seller

My Mood:

I was going to use kissaluvs for at the begining... but then I found swaddelbees organic velour fitteds.. OMG they are soooo soft and sooooo cute and I will def use them instead No idea on how many.. I am sure I will end up with more than enough.. lol

Good luck shopping mama!! I am 10 weeks and only have 6 dipes !!!
Old 09-15-2006, 10:41 AM   #5
nothing_butt_cloth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzi Fannies Creations
! I am 10 weeks and only have 6 dipes !!!

You crack me up!!! That averages 1 dipe per week since you have known...

I am 12 and you have more than me LOL

Though i am ordering 2 doz preemie prefolds today, and then that will put me about done with nb shopping...
Old 09-15-2006, 11:01 AM   #6
GrowingUpMad
If everyone was the same the world would be a VERY boring place.
seller

My Mood:

I ended up not using cloth in the hospital, it was crazy how many dipes I went through and I was happy not to have to come home and wash. I stayed exactly 2 days and I would guess I went through at least 40 diapers ~ no joke. This kid peed and pooped like mad from the second she was born. I know I went through one whole pack and part of another and was sent home with the remainder (about 12). I believe there were 26 in each pack. I am still going through so many dipes as she poops the second she has a fresh diaper on.

I am loving KL best as well as my NB Mutts. I can not figure out prefolds so those aren't getting any love here.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:03 PM   #7
Fuzzi Fannies Creations
Temptress of Fuzzi Fannies Diapers
seller

My Mood:

HAHAHAHA And you think your DONE after the prefolds?? HAHAHAHAHAHA You crack me up!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothing_butt_cloth
You crack me up!!! That averages 1 dipe per week since you have known...

I am 12 and you have more than me LOL

Though i am ordering 2 doz preemie prefolds today, and then that will put me about done with nb shopping...
Old 09-15-2006, 12:05 PM   #8
nothing_butt_cloth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzi Fannies Creations
HAHAHAHA And you think your DONE after the prefolds?? HAHAHAHAHAHA You crack me up!!!

well after the prefolds, and what i have coming...( about 12 dipes i think) all i will need is covers, and wool. LOL and homebirth shirts and stuff... LOL

Oh and i need more wipes, i only have about 30 LOL
Old 09-15-2006, 12:18 PM   #9
aept
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, I wanted to CD from the start in the hospital, but he surprised us at 36 1/2 weeks, so our bags weren't even packed. So, we did sposies there and started cloth at home.

But, this is really fresh in my mind, so I'll give my input: Here is info from my chart about how many pees and poops my lactation consultant was looking for the baby to have in the first few days (these indicate the "at least" number that they want to see to know your baby is getting enough colostrum/milk):

Day one (1st 24 hrs. after birth): 1 wet, 1 soiled (Our actual: had 3 wet, 5 poo!)
Day two: 2 wets, 2 soiled (Actual: 2 wet, 2 poo)
Day three: 3 wets, 3 soiled (Actual: 2 and 2 - we were kind of dehydrated at this point - from not feeding too well at first.)
Day four: 4 wets, 3 soiled (Actual: 4 wet and 4 poo)
Day 5: 5 wets, 3 soiled (Actual: 8 wet and 4 poo)

Of course, there is often both pee and poo in the diaper - and anyhow that was probably way more info than you ever could have wanted about my son's diaper habits in the first few days! We stayed in the hospital almost 48 hrs. after his birth, so I think we only used maybe 10 diapers the whole time we were there?

Once we got home, we were probably using 12-16 diapers a day, sometimes more as they will literally pee or poop right when you are changing them, so you might go through a couple in only one change. Or they might poop some more right after you change them because you thought they were "done" but they weren't! Also, he started going poo every time he would eat, so we ended up changing both before and after eating.

For us, for if and when we have another baby, I'd pack about 15 dipes, but know that you may hopefully be taking some of them home clean! Plus, the hospital will have plenty of sposies on hand, so if need be, they are there to use if you need to. You don't have to be militant about it!

Best of luck with your bundle of joy!
aept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 12:28 PM   #10
aept
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Regarding part 2:
I did not think the "tar poo" was very explosive or as runny as the true PF poo, so leaks might not be a problem in the first days. But, eventually the yellow, mustardy, BF poo will come, so...

I am having good luck using the "jellyroll" fold with infant PFs to help contain BF poo. Lay the diaper out flat under baby (fold it down in the back if it's too long.) Roll in the sides at the crotch area towards the middle until they almost meet - this makes a little pouch to catch the poo, and the thicker rolls near the legs to help seal up the leg opening around skinny NB thighs. Pull through legs and flare out a little at the top. Bring around the back corners to the front to snappi (or pin) it together. The NB prowraps work best for us as they have little leg gussets to keep the poo contained better - if it does get past the prefold, it gets caught by the cover. (We have yet to blowout with this combo!)

My kissaluvs have never blown out either, but as they are more $, I only have a few of them.
aept is offline   Reply With Quote