Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-07-2008, 03:01 PM   #1
srloes
Registered Users

My Mood:
Chkn pox vax?

What are the reasons for getting it and why would I not want ds to get it? Is there a good link that someone could please send me to?
tia

Advertisement

Little Sis to Abigail!
srloes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:27 PM   #2
nini02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Chkn pox vax?

Quote:
Originally Posted by srloes View Post
What are the reasons for getting it and why would I not want ds to get it? Is there a good link that someone could please send me to?
tia
If your child gets chicken pox, they get life long immunity in almost all cases. If they get the vax, they are (maybe) prevented from getting CP in childhood when it is mild and easy to recover from, and once the vaccine wears off, they are at risk of getting chicken pox as teens or adults, when it is much more serious.

Personally, I'd much rather my child get chicken pox when they're young, be sick for a week, and be immune for life rather than get the vaccine, risk a reaction to it, give them temporary immunity (if that!), and then have to either A) give them boosters their whole life, or B) have them catch it in their teens/20s or later, and be REALLY sick from it.

I'll try to find you a link or two.

Stephanie, mommy to Avery and Iona

Swagbucks / ZoomBucks / Varolo

Last edited by nini02; 05-07-2008 at 03:28 PM.
nini02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:57 PM   #3
JackieLyn
feeling festive
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nini02 View Post
If your child gets chicken pox, they get life long immunity in almost all cases. If they get the vax, they are (maybe) prevented from getting CP in childhood when it is mild and easy to recover from, and once the vaccine wears off, they are at risk of getting chicken pox as teens or adults, when it is much more serious.

Personally, I'd much rather my child get chicken pox when they're young, be sick for a week, and be immune for life rather than get the vaccine, risk a reaction to it, give them temporary immunity (if that!), and then have to either A) give them boosters their whole life, or B) have them catch it in their teens/20s or later, and be REALLY sick from it.

Old 05-07-2008, 04:20 PM   #4
nini02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Here's a cited medical critique of the varicella vax:

www.polycarp.org/chicken_pox_medical_critique.pdf

Stephanie, mommy to Avery and Iona

Swagbucks / ZoomBucks / Varolo

Last edited by nini02; 05-07-2008 at 04:24 PM.
nini02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 04:28 PM   #5
Kelolsen-and-Padawan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

FWIW, my friend got it as an adult and was tested for the antibodies 2 years later and she di dn't have any. She wasn't at all immune b/c of the vax.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:35 PM   #6
Kelolsen-and-Padawan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Here's a cited medical critique of the varicella vax:

www.polycarp.org/chicken_pox_medical_critique.pdf
thank you for that link! Very informative.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:52 PM   #7
geez0pete
Registered Users
Formerly: sm***ff

My Mood:

Quote:
My 4 kids and DH got it all at the same time last year and DH suffered the worst. And he got scars, they didn't.

geez0pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 07:56 PM   #8
House of Blue
Registered Users
seller

My kids won't get it until the age of 10 unless they contract it naturally (and unintentionally) before then. Well, I'm re-thinking that for my oldest. He has horrendous skin (I mean constant eczema from head to toe), allergies and a seizure disorder. He's also Autistic and is a compulsive "picker", the thought of him with pox all over his skin in addition to his eczema *shudder*.... Just the way he reacts to things I can't fathom him getting CP, I have a feeling it would be very traumatic and/or severe. He's 8 now and I've made an appointment to get the vax a couple years early. I just don't want him contracting it at all at this point.
House of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 08:23 AM   #9
srloes
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks mamas! It has just been confusing, I don't remember ckn pox being that bad, but at the dr. office yesterday they were pushing a bit. I told them, I was going to do more research, but was leaning towards not getting it.

Little Sis to Abigail!
srloes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 08:38 AM   #10
trilla_marion
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:

That was my reasoning. We've already denied her getting that vaccine and I"m on the hunt for a pox party.