Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-07-2008, 05:54 PM   #1
Katherine
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Switching to a midwife for a vbac....I think I'm going to be able to do it!

Okay, first, I'll be 36 weeks tomorrow, and I'm having a crisis. I'm up for a vbac, but now that I've actually turned my thoughts to the birth, I've decided my OB is unacceptable. She requires a continuous internal monitor, which means little to no movement possible, which means laying on my back, which means extreme pain, which means epidural, which means no choice in birth position, which means I'm SO much more likely to have a repeat c/s. I know not all those things are def. gonna happen, but still... I feel like with my current ob I have no choices and just have a very, very bad feeling about birthing with her. Everytime I've ever had one of these feelings and not acted on it, things have ended up going bad...every time in my life.

So - I think I'll be firing her. I FINALLY found a midwife group willing to do in-hospital vbacs w/ no internal monitoring and who would allow for tub births/getting in the shower/whatever you want to do. I spoke with one of th midwives today and she was so wonderful...she's going to talk to the rest of her group and see if everyone's ok w/ taking me on so late in the pregnancy. She described their requirements - intermittent external monitoring, can labor in water, very low intervention...it was like talking to an imaginary friend I had created that was telling me exactly what I wanted to hear.

The problem - the midwife group is centered in a different town about an hour and a half away. It's actually my hometown, and they deliver at the hospital where my mom is a mother baby nurse. My mom rec'd them to me when I started freaking out over everything a few days ago. She is, of course, ecstatic over the idea of me birthing there. The drive doesn't bother me much. if I stayed here, I'd wait until labor was well underway before going to the hospital. This way, I'd just set out once labor had def. started, rather than trying to labor at home. It's not ideal, but my choices are very limited.

Central Ohio is terrible for vbacs - IF you can find a dr willing to do one, they want to schedule a c/s at 38 weeks if labor hasn't started by then. There are a few who will "let" you go longer, but they throw all these required interventions at you if/when you go into labor. All the midwives who deliver in hospitals can't do vbacs, and midwives willing to do midwives only do homebirths, which I'm just not up to. I have gone through h*ll with trying to find a decent provider - none will even talk to you without setting up a full-on appointment. You can't just talk to one to find their standard vbac procedures to see if they're a good match without waiting several weeks for an appointment and officially becoming their patient.

I am feeling an incredible sense of relief at having found a group to take me that agrees with my views....God, I hope the one midwife can talk the others into taking me on. My mom says even the dr's in the group are super cool and progressive - high praise from my mom, who hates dr's. Please please please!!!

I'm just trying to sort all this out in my head, and am so excited - has anyone switched care like this? How have you fired your old provider?

Advertisement

Katherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:05 PM   #2
CATeacher
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Switching to a midwife for a vbac....I think I'm going to be able to do it!

Wow, I can't imagine midwives delivering in hospitals. I wish they did that here.

I just attempted a vbac in a hospital w/an OB...didn't have internal montitoring but I did have continuous external monitorning but I could still get in the tub and move around (wireless).

More power to ya. If you are not comfortable then by all means, fire that OB.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:12 PM   #3
caitigumbo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I did, and it was totally worth it. I was really late in my pregnancy too; I say that the best thing that the jerk OB ever did was recommend my midwife to me! All the best, mama; you CAN do it!
"One mustn't lose sight of the hard core, which is, do this, do that, love your friends and like your neighbors, be just, be extravagantly generous, be honest, be tolerant, have courage, have compassion, use your wits and your imagination, understand the world you live in and be on terms with it, don't dramatize and dream and escape."
--Rose Macauley, Towers of Trebizond
caitigumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 07:48 PM   #4
Mamatoabunch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I switched in my second pregnancy, planned VBAC, from hospital midwives to HB midwife. Glad I did.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:54 PM   #5
Kelolsen-and-Padawan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

good for you!!! good luck!!!

I haven't, but my friend did. Here in our county, VBACs aren't allowed so she decided at the later 20 weeks (like maybe 28 weeks???) to go tothe next county an hour away and do a VBAC. she found a doc who has a 90% success rate w/ VBACs so she's pretty happy w/ the care. Its a PITA, b/c she has to go to all her appointments there and arrange childcare, etc but her only reason for a c/s before was b/c baby was breech and coudn't be turned, so she's hoping that it all works out!!

I think you are doing an awesome thing!! I wish I had your guts. I'm chickening out and going for the repeat c/s at the hospital five minutes away.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:58 PM   #6
sabrina_the_mommies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

YAHOO!

Could you go to your Moms when labor starts & just hang at her house until you're ready to go in? We're going to be about 45mins from our hospital, so we're going to our friends house when labor starts. They'll be watching out DD, so we're going to hang there until we feel the need to go in.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:32 AM   #7
Mytwoboys08
Registered Users
seller

good for you mama! trust your gut!! i'm in PA and it is NO better here...i'm trying to have a vbac to and i'm emotionally exhausted by it. you'd swear we're asking for something crazy!!! the "midwives" at our hospital are so clearly just for marketing purposes...they don't have a true midwife mentality at all-they've actually been pushing me to schedule a c-sec. anyways-sorry to get off track!!-if there was a place i could go(and i've looked EVERYWHERE)that was more supportive of vbacs like you found-i'd go in heartbeat...even with that drive you're gonna have. best of luck to you mama!!!!
Old 05-08-2008, 11:37 AM   #8
Mamatoabunch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mytwoboys08 View Post
good for you mama! trust your gut!! i'm in PA and it is NO better here...i'm trying to have a vbac to and i'm emotionally exhausted by it. you'd swear we're asking for something crazy!!! the "midwives" at our hospital are so clearly just for marketing purposes...they don't have a true midwife mentality at all-they've actually been pushing me to schedule a c-sec. anyways-sorry to get off track!!-if there was a place i could go(and i've looked EVERYWHERE)that was more supportive of vbacs like you found-i'd go in heartbeat...even with that drive you're gonna have. best of luck to you mama!!!!
I have a friend in PA that had a HBA2C. LMK if you want the info.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:40 PM   #9
Birdof1985
Banned
seller

My Mood:

i agree with you- i live in cincinnati and i had to do a yahoo search to find my WONDERFUL ob to do my VBA2C in december. he was like an angel!
Birdof1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 02:48 PM   #10
Katherine
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the positive thoughts! I had to dig through my records to make sure I'd had a 2-layer close last time, which I did, and faxed my records to her this morning. I called this afternoon and spoke with another midwife in the practice - the one I spoke to yesterday had been up all day with a difficult birth and was resting, but the one I spoke to was equally awesome and optimistic about being able to help me. I should know by the end of the day tomorrow! Can I just say how relieving this all is! I am actually looking forward to asking for my records to be forwarded.

Depending on how labor goes, I could go to my mom's and wait until it gets rough - she's about an hour and 45 min. away from my house and 35 min away from the hospital, so it'll add some travel time, but not much. At this point, the drive isn't anything - I'm totally cool with driving to do this. Like I told the midwife today - even if this does end up in a c/s, I NEED to know I've done everything possible to have a natural birth. I even feel more comfortable having a c/s at my mom's hospital, b/c I know the nurses will listen to her and follow my wishes for the baby.

It really is like waking up from a bad dream. Everything seems easier today, since I'm not under a cloud of pessimism about the birth. I seriously don't know how I would have coped with my choices being taken away AGAIN this time after all i tried to prevent that happening.

I'm not even scared of birthing naturally now. Seriously - since I know I'll be able to move around and get in the water, my fear has gone away.
Katherine is offline   Reply With Quote