Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-02-2014, 11:34 AM   #1
threekstrio
Registered Users
seller

Do you wear your baby while you do housework? In the kitchen?

I find that wearing baby while doing housework becomes quite tedious with all of the bending, lifting, twisting, reaching. Do you wear your baby while doing housework? what carrier do you use? any tips to make it easier, especially as baby gets bigger and heavier?

What about in the kitchen? are you concerned about safety? how do you keep your carrier from getting wet while you do dishes? Do you carry on your back? Is there a good carrier for carrying on your back? Can you use a moby for a back carry?

Lots of questions!!

Advertisement

threekstrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:40 AM   #2
MommytoSandC
Registered Users

Re: Do you wear your baby while you do housework? In the kitchen?

I have an Ella Roo wrap that I use for back carries while doing housework bc of all the bending and such. When baby was a newbie, the front worked fine but now that he's bigger, I almost always carry him on my back. I haven't tried any back carries with a structured carrier so I can't speak to that. But I like how the wrap is versatile. When I need to do heavy duty cleaning, I try to have him napping or playing.
MommytoSandC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 11:40 AM   #3
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

When I was able to position my kiddo on my back I could and did. When I couldn't get my kiddo onto my back though I did not. My arms are short, my babies chunky, I couldn't get my arms around them to do anything so it was a no go. I use a ring sling with my kids.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:34 PM   #4
mariposablue
Registered Users
seller

I do! I started using a back carry about 6 months. I have used a mei tai, woven wrap, and ssc (soft structured carrier - Ergo and Kinderpack). The SSC is easiest to get on and off IMO. Some of them (the KP especially) are very comfortable. I was worried about doing dishes and dinner prep so when he is on my back I don't worry about him getting into anything.

Moby's are good for the infant stage but where they are stretchy there is concern about using them in a back carry. I would use something more secure.

See if you have a local babywearing group. I tried out some different carriers at mine and checked them out of the library to take home for a month. I did that 1/month for a few months for little cost until I decided I wanted to buy one.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:10 PM   #5
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
As baby i wore baby in n pouch in front but not anymore. He is v too heavy.

We have meitai that is good for back carry for toddler to do dishes and for bending...
Old 10-03-2014, 05:58 PM   #6
pixie310
Registered Users
seller

I wear my daughter while doing everything! I use an infantino Mei Tai and put her on my back. I do laundry, wash dishes, give the others kids a bath, cook dinner.. anything I normally do I do with her on my back unless I"m frying eggs or something where the greese can pop and burn her. My husband calls her our little monkey cause thats her favorite spot to be lol...I dont find it any more dificult other then u have to squat instead f bend over but if i didn't wear her on my back i wouldn't get anything done.
Old 10-03-2014, 06:00 PM   #7
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

On my back I do. Dh even wears baby while mowing the lawn
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 07:26 PM   #8
AlexiaH
Registered Users
seller

I only wear my 1 month old when I am cooking or doing dishes; and that's pretty trying for me. I have short arms so can't accomplish much. Once I can back carry him I'll probably do a lot more housework while wearing.
AlexiaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 07:39 PM   #9
Ainmemphis
Registered Users
seller
seller

I had to wear my babies to get anything done. First one I was able to do everything except get clothes out of dryer or cook with a front carry. I got more comfortable with back carries by baby 2 and that was much better for me. I prefer SSC and have a tula. I would practice in front of a mirror beside my bed and now its like putting on my shirt. Takes no time at all.

As far as Moby goes it isn't recommended for back carries due to the stretchiness of material.
Old 10-04-2014, 01:49 AM   #10
nellycakes80
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I back carry in an ergo for kitchen work or anything else I'll need to do where lo would be in the way, or when I don't want her hooked to my boo while working. For vacuuming and easier stuff I front carry..