Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-11-2016, 05:18 PM   #1
Alfresco5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Angry Flying and babywearing

So, I need to know whether I should be upset or not. In preparation for our 1st flight with our 3mo old DS I read what I thought were all of the rules and regulations and even read several sites on advice for flying w/ LO. We don't have a lot of money so we figured we'd carry my son as a "lap baby" but I'd wear him because it's safer...me strapped in and him strapped to me in my Beco w/ head support up. The 1st 3 flights all we got was oogling and googling from all of the flight attendants, one of which even chatted w/ us the whole flight about her granddaughter and took a photo of the 3 of us for my mom. Well...the 4th flight, this haggard, grumpy FA comes up to my husband and says, "she needs to take him out of that thing, it's not safe". He just looked funny, so I asked her to repeat. She then says it to me and snaps, "it's against the rules". I told her thst I didnt see that anywhere, and the 1st 3 flights no one said anything about it, they even kept saying how comfy he looked and, "he's gonna sleep well all snuggly like that". She just snapped again, "I don't care what they did, they're wrong, I'm right" and stomped off. Mind you, I'm also currently in the middle of BF him since it's 5 min before the plane is supposed yo take off". Another FA comes over and shoves her phone in my husbands face and says, "see here, it's against the rules! If you have a problem with it, take it up with the FAA"! So, I proceeded to cut him off of BF, and pull him out of the carrier. My husband held him in his lap with a kung fu death grip, and my DS cried and screamed the whole flight. He looked so uncomfortable and helpless and I couldn't stop crying either. As we were getting off the plane, the FA in charge w/out compassion and empathy, "Sorry if we upset you, but that's the rule".
Am I totally wrong for being this upset and not wanting to fly again while DS is an infant?!

Advertisement

Alfresco5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 05:36 PM   #2
Robin
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Flying and babywearing

When I flew with a baby, they said I could not babywear during take off and landing, so that I could get into correct head-down position if there were any problems. But I was free to use the carrier during the flight. I'm sorry they were so rude.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:46 PM   #3
WildflowerCB
Registered Users
Formerly: ri814146
seller
seller

That sounds really frustrating. I am not surprised that they have a rule like that though. I am sorry they were so rude to you about it.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:01 PM   #4
Chichidc
Registered Users
seller

They have to be on your lap for takeoff and landing. I've been reminded of that by FA too. No one was rude about it - just factual. I knew the rule tho so I didn't pushback.
Chichidc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:36 PM   #5
belindacampbell
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have had many flights not enforce it but legally you are supposed to have them out of the pack for takeoff and landing only. The rest of the time they can be in the wrap or pack.
belindacampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 08:48 PM   #6
oregonmom
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

That lady should have been nicer about it, but yes lap babies have to be on your lap(not in a carrier) for take off and landing and for some airlines they also require that they not be in a carrier during turbulence.
Old 01-14-2016, 10:47 AM   #7
SharedTheJourney
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfresco5 View Post
So, I need to know whether I should be upset or not......
Am I totally wrong for being this upset and not wanting to fly again while DS is an infant?!
Not here to tell you how you should feel. You chose to BF. We did not and during the security check some years back, I had packed 7 small 4 oz containers of applesauce and baby foods to carry on board. Babies were infant/early tot. Figured it would be ok. The TA totalled 6 containers and dumped them right into a big trash can saying that 6 x 4 = 24 oz. and it was against the less than 4 oz max. for items that were food or liquid in nature. So, what was I to do, give the older one the fossilized hard salty pretzel/nut pack they give you on board until landing? Yep,
The policies do not make sense. I'd hate to see me and the kids attack everyone on board in mid flight with applesauce, actually, the hard pretzels they give you could cause injury. That day they were spared! (sarcasm) Well, the sound barrier did get broken once the kids got hungry. NO!, don't stop flying, it takes a screaming child and the complaints of others who do not have kids to get their attention to change their policies. There is nothing that gets their attention more than irrate business people who are frequent flyers complaining about the hungry kid screaming. Yes, when the stewardess comes up to you, ask, do you carry baby food? As they should if they take it or formula at the security check.

Last edited by SharedTheJourney; 01-14-2016 at 10:59 AM.
SharedTheJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 10:53 AM   #8
Alfresco5
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't have been so upset if she was nice, or even remotely polite, but she was so nasty about it! Acted as if I was purposefully trying to break some major rule. Not like I was loudly repeating "bomb" like in Meet the Parents! ��
Alfresco5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 11:11 AM   #9
SharedTheJourney
Registered Users

Ahh, don't forget, policies give savants meaning and purpose. They take their jobs seriously no matter how it is thrown out and processed. Any rule no matter how small, nonsensical, insignificant it may be, is a major rule to them. It is not to cause you meaning, nor purpose, it is to limit you and offend you without recourse because you are going to be flying in their craft (pun intended figuratively and physically). This is why authoritatively this got thrown at you as a rule breaker even when it was against natural law. The purpose is to upset you and give the savant purpose. And in effect, it is effective because it cattles you in to conform. However, you may be able to voice to them ahead of time, that for instance, your child has special needs, you may need to BF, and perhaps they, knowing ahead of time may change your seat or accommodate you. But, as a general sweep, the rules are a wide cast.

Last edited by SharedTheJourney; 01-14-2016 at 11:37 AM.
SharedTheJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 04:09 PM   #10
ashley.wright
Registered Users

I flew with my DD when she was 3 months. I didn't choose to wear her because it was just me and I had to carry her diaper bag and car seat. I think you shouldn't let one bad experience ruin it all. I bf my daughter the whole 2 flights and they didn't say anything. Maybe try fedding while baby is outside the carrier next time. Sorry they were so rude!
ashley.wright is offline   Reply With Quote