Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-05-2008, 06:37 PM   #1
MaeghanAlyson
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
not ready?

So here is my situation.....DD has been EBF for 4 months. The past month we have been trying to introduce her to a bottle bc I am starting back school in 3 weeks! EEEEK!! Anyways, She WILL NOT WILL NOT WILL NOT take a bottle. We have tried every type of bottle out there. We have tried sippys and even cups. NOTHING!!! She even went 12 hours (we let her spend the night at her grammas not a good expierence) w/o eating!!! SOOO Her dr. reccomended I try rice cereal for a feeding. So every other night for the past week or so I have been mixing rice cereal with my BM to feed to her with a spoon. Well, The nights she has cereal she is EXTREMELY FUSSY I mean NOTHING calms her. She won't nurse or anything. SO I'm wondering, Is she just not ready for cereal? I mean she hardly gets any. It's mainly BM with just a little bit of cereal. I desperatly need to find a way for her to eat while I'm at class. *sigh*

Advertisement

MaeghanAlyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 06:50 PM   #2
sillymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: not ready?

I'm chuckling and sending hugs at the same time. We went through the same thing with DD when I went back to work for a few weeks about three months after DD was born. We tried, and tried, and tried, and it was miserable! What will happen is that she will take a bottle when she gets hungry enough. My DD would take a bottle from my MIL much better than she would from anyone else. Try different feeding positions, such as facing away instead of cradling. She will not starve herself - eventually she will eat. I wouldn't do the rice cereal anymore. It sounds like her digestive system isn't ready for it yet.
sillymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 06:53 PM   #3
tiredmommyof8
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My dd is 16 mo old and she has never had a bottle. She just flat refuses. If she is away from me she won't drink anything from a bottle. She will take a sippy cup but only for juice or water. I wouldn't push the cereal. she will eat if and when dshe is hungry and she might only wait for you to come home.

Kate~ Now an exhausted Mommy of 9!
ISO/IHA
tiredmommyof8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 05:29 PM   #4
reneeumiami
Registered Users

We had the same problem with bottles, but DS would take BM from a sippy with a soft top (it feels like the same material as a bottle nipple). Also, he only takes "fresh" milk that I've expressed in the last 12 hours or so. Your BM's still good longer than that with proper refrigeration or freezing, but it doesn't taste the same. I know from personal experience and the ped. confirmed this is the case for everyone's BM. Good luck mama!
Old 05-06-2008, 05:35 PM   #5
kht2006
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD took milk from an open regular cup or a spoon before she took it from a bottle. My mom would put her in a bumbo on the table top (I KNOW not so safe) and fed her. She never took a bottle from me or DH. She reverse cycle fed mostly. She would wait it out and nurse like crazy when I got home from work.

I'd hold off on the cereal for at least a couple more months FWIW.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:10 PM   #6
mollypeters
Registered Users
seller
seller

My ds1 wouldn't take a bottle after being bf'd exclusively for 7 mo. My mom suggested that i leave him w/ her for a couple of days so all he could take was a bottle. It turned out that he was happily nursing from the bottle only a few hours after i left. I felt horrible leaving my baby, but i know he was in capable and loving hands.
gl, mama!
mollypeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 08:45 AM   #7
Mirasmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

4 months is really late to start a bottle- she probably won't ever take it now because she has too many opinions about what she wants. Try a sippy!
athlete wife to B and Mama to M 11.06 G 03.08 S 05.11 ^#4^
Cautiously expecting #5
www.littlesmithsgrowingup.blogspot.com
Mirasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 05:01 PM   #8
KatieJD334
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

First I would stop giving her cereal, because she is way too young and this is probably really upsetting her tummy. Solids should not be introduced until a child is 6 months or later, their digestive system is not equipped to handle solids before then. A lot of peds still aren't up to date on this information so I wouldn't rely on them to give you any helpful advice regarding breastfeeding and solids (and I'm being dead serious). Second, I would not rely on waiting for her to get hungry enough to take a bottle. This is only asking for trouble and a very unhappy baby. There is no rule that she has to take milk from a bottle, you can do it with an eye dropper, a cup, a sippy cup, even a wash cloth if she will suck on that.