Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-07-2006, 02:37 PM   #1
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:
Waterproofing spray

I've noticed that my pockets are 'wicking' - or what I would assume wicking is...because I honestly don't know...anyway...would the waterproofing spray work for pockets? Or is it meant for something else? I bought it in the sporting goods section of walmart.

Help?

Advertisement

Old 05-07-2006, 06:48 PM   #2
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Waterproofing spray

Anyone know? Should I ask this in a different section?
Old 05-07-2006, 06:52 PM   #3
christinewith4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Unhappy Re: Waterproofing spray

I'm sorry... I want to know the same thing, and I have seen where not only I BUT alteast 2 other people have now asked the same question in just the last week or so, BUT none of us have gotten ANY sort of reasponse at all.....it is getting furstrating...

COME ON! SOMEONE give all of us this answer!!!!!

Good Luck!
christinewith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 07:20 PM   #4
roseselene
Registered Users

Well, it depends on what is happening when you say wicking. Are they leaking around the legs? Or are they getting wet all over...like in the bum area? If they are leaking just around the legs, you may need to use more absorbency. If it is getting damp all around in the bum area, then that is true wicking. Sometimes drying in the dryer on hot can help that. I have used a waterproofing spray in the past for my laminated cottons that were wicking ( I can't remember the brand) but I wasn't impressed and I found that it didn't really work that well. So, even though I can't remember the brand, I guess that's ok, since it didn't seem to work. Are these a Polyester laminate that is leaking or a cotton laminate?
Amy
Old 05-07-2006, 09:39 PM   #5
mamagina
Registered Users
seller

If what you're stuffing the diaper with isn't soaked and you're having leak issues, you can try the spray. I've found it helpful on my older pockets. I just spray the outsides, let dry. You'll need to re-spray every so often with that spray. And you'll need to use it in a well ventilated area.

If the stuffing is totally saturated, you probably don't need spray, you probably need more stuffing in the pocket.

HTH!
Old 05-08-2006, 12:00 AM   #6
jessicad
Registered Users

I just sprayed a few of my dipes the other day. 2 of them are 100% better now, 1 isn't. I don't know if I just didn't spray enough. I'm going to try to redo that one and spray a few others (when it stops raining. grrrrr). My problem is that I keep forgetting which one need to be done, so I keep using them, have wicking and throw them to wash thinking that I'll spray when they're clean (then they get put back in the diaper drawer, then I use them...etc).

So, my point after this long ramble is that I THINK that it helps...but I'm not sure of the proper technique.
jessicad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 05:46 AM   #7
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks for the responses He's not totally soaked when this happens..but it's wet (mostly) in the area under the velcro on the front of the diaper...this didn't use to happen..to tell you the truth, I don't know what it is....It's pul, but what kind of pul, I don't know?
Old 05-08-2006, 09:46 AM   #8
mamagina
Registered Users
seller

If it's only near the stiching, you can try tossing it in the dryer for 10 minutes or so. You can also find seam sealer in some sewing stores.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:04 AM   #9
rowynne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I bought a little bottle of seam sealer in the camping section to use in those areas. I also have the spray & I read somewhere that you are supposed to turn a pocket inside out & spray the shiney side. I have also sprayed the outside of AIOs and its worked great for me (I bought the camping stuff again).
rowynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 01:24 PM   #10
vanilla
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've tried nikwax (it's ok) and some kind of spray stuff at wal-mart (washes out after a very short time) and then I tried Permenent Water Guard from www.atsko.com (I found it locally) and it is THE best stuff, it works super well, takes a LOOONNG time to wash out (I did some pockets a year ago that just recently needed a retreatment) and it doesn't smell, it's just a spray on trigger. It's a little pricey (I paid $10 locally) but it goes a long way. I hold the pocket with my hand in it and squirt at the legs, being careful not to get it on the fleece. Then you hang it up to dry, when it's dry throw it in the dryer on hot for like 10 minutes. Then wash it. It should not wick any more. HTH.
Anna 5/16/04
Sara 7/11/06
vanilla is offline   Reply With Quote