Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-08-2008, 08:06 PM   #1
SMTFamily06
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
breastfeeding & birth control

So with my first son he weaned his self at almost 14 months, I never was on bc because we we're trying for this one and I never liked it well I just found out my chances of having a repeat c-section are kinda high if I would have a VBAC this time I would not mind just being "careful" natural family planning but if I do have a RCS I want to come back to a BC but nothing 5 or 3 year that they have out or one that would mess up my cycles as in making me have less or lighter just want something good to use with bfding and that would be low dose or should I say not many side effects anyone have advice on what they are on or what not to go with?

Advertisement

Old 05-08-2008, 08:10 PM   #2
WhatWasIThinking
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: breastfeeding & birth control

You could do the mini pill.
WhatWasIThinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 08:20 PM   #3
lydiamom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I didn't like the mini pill when I was bfing, and I especially didn't like that you have to take it at the same time every day. Too much room to go wrong IMO. My midwife recommended the sponge, but I can't find it anywhere.

Baltic Creations co-op now open
lydiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 09:08 PM   #4
cokelush
Registered Users
seller
seller

My daughter was given the mini-pill and so far so good. She sets her phone alarm to remind her to take it and makes sure that she has some with her when she is out (I think she just always keeps it in her purse)... so far so good. lol
cokelush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 11:49 AM   #5
KatieJD334
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

FAM or Fertility Awareness Method is what I do. It does take planning and charting signs, but I love it the best out of all the BC options I've used in the past, and no nasty hormones to mess with my body either.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:13 PM   #6
Mamatoabunch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We use NFP.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:37 PM   #7
Beaners_Mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I was on the mini pill and it killed my supply. I guess i'm one of the lucky ones that it messes with.
Now we just use condoms. I went from having too much and leaking everywhere to having not enough. It wasn't worth it
Old 05-09-2008, 10:00 PM   #8
lydiamom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieJD334 View Post
FAM or Fertility Awareness Method is what I do. It does take planning and charting signs, but I love it the best out of all the BC options I've used in the past, and no nasty hormones to mess with my body either.
How does this work with breastfeeding? Doesn't bfing mess with the signs of ovulation? I'm curious because I really want to try this method but am afraid to start while bfing.

Sorry--I don't mean to hijack

Baltic Creations co-op now open
lydiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:09 PM   #9
WhatWasIThinking
Registered Users

My Mood:

I was on the mini pill and it didn't mess with my supply at all. I was just totally freaked out that 5 in 100 get pregnant..lol! Now i am on depo provera (it has TOTALLY killed my sex drive) and am planning on the mirena.
WhatWasIThinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 11:10 PM   #10
tararaboomdeea
Banned
sitesupporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lydiamom View Post
How does this work with breastfeeding? Doesn't bfing mess with the signs of ovulation? I'm curious because I really want to try this method but am afraid to start while bfing.

Sorry--I don't mean to hijack
FAM is pretty hard to do if you're BFing, especially if your LO isn't sleeping through the night and you don't get consecutive sleep.

With FAM, you chart your cycles and use your fertility signs. Cervical mucus, cervical position and waking temp. BFing can cause your CM (mucus) to be dry/non-existent. And temping works best if you wake at the same time each day, taking your temp before you even get out of bed to use the bathroom. You're supposed to have had at least 3 consecutive hours of sleep. It also doesn't really work if you've not has AF yet. Taking Charge Of Your Fertility is an amazing book. It should be a required read for ALL girls/women. I learned so much about my body, not just the FAM method.

We've successfully used FAM in the past, but I wasn't BFing. I have a 10.5 month old nursling and have been nursing for 26 months straight (including my 2 yr old). I've seen AF once since June of 2005, so FAM isn't an option for us right now. We use the withdrawal method right now.

OP- A lot of women are able to use an IUD as a reliable form of BC while BFing. For me, it dried up my milk. Progesterone can cause that in some women-it's not a common side effect, but it can and does happen. The mini pill is also only progesterone, so that wouldn't be an option if the IUD didn't work because of milk supply.
tararaboomdeea is offline   Reply With Quote