Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-09-2008, 06:51 AM   #1
oitzjustlisa
Registered Users

My Mood:
Does anyone low carb anymore?

I'm thinking about going back on it, not just for weight loss. I've been having stomach issues lately, it started about two weeks ago, pains after I ate that made me want to cry. At first the doctor in the ER said it was my gallbladder, but the US and blood tests were normal, and he said it was most likely a reflux disorder or maybe even IBS. I've been taking Tums with meals and feeling a lot better, but I still feel pretty bad if I over do it on some foods, mostly sugars and starches. I started thinking back, trying to find a time where food didn't make my bloated or sleepy. I recalled when I tried low carb, before it became a "fad diet" (my mother was put on it by her doctor so I followed suit) and had great weight loss results, but more importantly I felt GREAT. I had energy, my migraines disappeared, and eventually I stopped being so hungry all of the time. It really makes me wonder if maybe my digestive system just can't handle the starchy foods like it should. Even when I eat "healthy" I still feel sluggish.

From what I've read, low carbing is ok for breastfeeding, but you need to be careful because people on this diet generally don't eat enough calories and your supply can drop. My DD is nearly 11 months now and still nursing here and there, she's getting to where she prefers solids to breastmilk, so it's not her primary source of nutrition anymore. I think I'm going to give this a try for a week or two and decide from there if I'm going to continue. I plan on starting out on induction (minimal carbs, and coming only from veggies), and then work more veggies and fruits into my diet as I near my comfort weight. So basically I'll be bread and sugar free, aside from the natural sugars in fruits, that is. I'll be running this by my doctor as well, since I need to go in for a follow up concerning my stomach issues.

So is there anyone out there in the same boat as me? I'd like to find a buddy to help keep me on track, it's much easier when you have competition, lol

Advertisement

Old 05-10-2008, 11:03 AM   #2
pinkflamingos77
Registered Users

Re: Does anyone low carb anymore?

Not me, I need carbs. They help me with energy and there are many benefits to having them in your diet. As long as you eat them in moderation. I see no problems with having carbs in your diet. If you have difficulty with eating carbs. then I can see why a person would want to limit them but most people are fine eating them.
Old 05-10-2008, 11:08 AM   #3
tiredmommyof8
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have been doing the blood type diet. It just so happens that for my blood type most carbs are restricted. I've lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks.

Kate~ Now an exhausted Mommy of 9!
ISO/IHA
tiredmommyof8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 12:09 PM   #4
StacyW
Banned
seller

My Mood:

I do better on low carb, but I am diabetic, so that is why:-) Hubby and I are working right now at trying to get back to low carb.
StacyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 12:31 PM   #5
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I do low carb. I'm losing weight very slowly at this point since I am nearing my weight loss goal. I'm a total carb addict and prone to binge eating so this is the perfect diet for me. I lost 125 lbs, kept it off over a year. Gained a bunch of weight during my pregnancy with DS2 now I am back down 50 lbs with 15 left to go. Eating this way is easy for me and the weight loss is something that I can maintain.
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 12:53 PM   #6
syndibee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i'm not necessarily going low carb but rather on a carb control "diet"
my eating plan allows for 30 carbs per meal. eating 6 times per day, no snacking between midnight and 6am.
this is the diet i was put on when i had gestational diabetes and i do well on it but i HATE watching my carbs. i'm a true carb addict who feels that the staples to eating are potatoes, corn, bread, and sugar....all stuff i can't have at this time.
i do slip up but make myself go back onto my eating plan, i figure that eventually i'll get the hang of it and be healthier as a result.
i don't think induction is the way to go though i do lose weight FAST with it. it's tempting but it completely depletes my energy and makes me want to binge which is horrible and keeps my carb addictions crying for attention.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:41 PM   #7
Momoftwo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't eat any white carbs or sugars. I have gone from 138 to 115 since January. I also hula hoop for an hour per day to help keep tone my beely, thighs, and bum. If you still need a buddy, let me know.
Momoftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 06:43 AM   #8
mom3girls
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have been on atkins since Jan 1 of this year, I started out at 213 pounds and now am 177 pounds.
I feel wonderful, no more indigestion and bloating and I have way more energy, although you should keep in mind that it should be a lifestyle change not a diet, as far as Im concerned no diet works because as soon as you go off the diet and back to your old ways you will gain it back, Ive finnaly realized this and have decided to make a lifestyle change for good. So far Im not missing any of my old carby things.
mom3girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 08:23 AM   #9
*Alabamamom*
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

This type of diet was my diet of choice... southbeach diet to be precise.. But, I found out two months ago my cholesterol level is too high, so I cannot do this diet anymore. The cholesterol in the meats and cheese is just too much. If you don't have these issues though, I think it's great at taking the weight off... I used to stay in the first stage for about 3 weeks, then go to stage 2.. then back to stage 1 and so on.. I liked this one better than the atkins diet because it allows you to have more carbs and less likely to produce keytones.
Granna to two amazing grandsons!! <3
*Alabamamom* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 08:25 AM   #10
*Alabamamom*
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momoftwo View Post
I don't eat any white carbs or sugars. I have gone from 138 to 115 since January. I also hula hoop for an hour per day to help keep tone my beely, thighs, and bum. If you still need a buddy, let me know.
Hula hoop!? What a fantantic idea!! I am so going to get one and try that out!
Granna to two amazing grandsons!! <3
*Alabamamom* is offline   Reply With Quote