View Poll Results: How long before your child, 5 or older, would WANT a shower or bath?
Girl: daily 12 17.91%
Girl: 2-3 days 13 19.40%
Girl: 4-7 days 10 14.93%
Girl: week to a month 4 5.97%
Girl: month or more 1 1.49%
Boy: daily 9 13.43%
Boy: 2-3 days 9 13.43%
Boy: 4-7 days 7 10.45%
Boy: week to a month 15 22.39%
Boy: more than a month 7 10.45%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-09-2008, 06:59 AM   #1
Luvinmy3weeones
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
If you have a child 5 and over, how long would they go without a shower/bath?

Poll coming.
You can choose more than one option for different children. I am wondering, if you didn't tell/make or force (whatever it takes) your child, 5 or older, to shower or bathe, how long would they go before wanting one on their own?

Advertisement

Amanda Christian Wife to Jim (a real super hero). Mama to: Brandon (8) (super hero in training), Alicia (6) (always hungry), Emma (4) (the one we can't seem to tame) and Matthew (2) (just a cute little baby doll) And baby #5 on the way!
Luvinmy3weeones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 07:06 AM   #2
ecomother
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: If you have a child 5 and over, how long would they go without a shower/bath?

If I didn't run a bath for them, they'd NEVER do it on their own!

My kids are 2 and 6, and I have an 8 yr old stepson (and a nb, but she doesn't really apply to this poll, lol!)

My youngest son LOVES the bath and tries to turn the water on and make a bath for himself more than once a day. The other 2 boys, they couldn't care less about bathing. I try and make sure they wash at least ever other day, but not too much more than that because my 6 year old has eczema/sensitive skin so the bath dries it out. So for the oldest 2 boys, I voted "week to a month" because I guess they *might* take it upon themselves once in a blue moon to take a bath.

Last edited by ecomother; 05-09-2008 at 10:31 AM.
ecomother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 07:20 AM   #3
kello
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: If you have a child 5 and over, how long would they go without a shower/bath?

I have a similar situation with my dd who is 9 y.o. If I didnt specifically tell her to get a shower/bath she wouldn't do it. I know part of the problem is that our shower faucet leaks terribly so we have to turn the water off in the basement which makes take a shower even more of a chore than it is already! LOL! I must admit too that I probably shower 2x a week due to the shower problem and my hair just takes too long to fix after a shower so I get as many days out of it as I can. Ok, dont want to steal this thread but I am definitely curious to see others responses.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:32 AM   #4
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

My 1 1/2 old loves the water and would take a bath everyday if I had the energy!! I know I'm a bad mom...but being 31 weeks pregnant I'm exhausted..
And we don't have a bath, it's just a shower...well we have the tub but only the shower part, no faucet...so either I have run the shower for about 5 minutes to get an inch of water and then add some with a pitcher...or usually I just bring him into the shower with me every 2-3 days unless he needs it before

I do still bath him in the sink although he's getting rather big. But on the occasions that I'm just exhausted but he needs a bath, I do it

He has a little swimming pool though that he swims in about every other day...does that count???
Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 07:32 AM   #5
sillymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

So no older kiddos myself, but it is my opinion that before puberty showering 1 to 2 times a week is totally sufficient. When we were growing up we took baths on Saturday so we'd be clean for church on Sunday. Everything else could be cleaned up with a washcloth before bedtime (and we played hard). I know so many kids that bath everyday and I just don't think it is good for the skin to bath so much. Once puberty kicks in (especially for boys) every day to every other day is mandatory. We used to have a no shower - no dinner rule in our house. My 11 year old brother still has to be forced to take a shower, so I'm pretty sure he would never bathe if he didn't have to.
sillymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 08:02 AM   #6
squintz22
Registered Users

My Mood:

My almost 6 year old would never take one if we didn't make her.
#1 - 5/27/02
#2 - 9/29/03
#3 - 7/21/06
#4 - Leap Day 2008
squintz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 08:08 AM   #7
handmadebymama
Registered Users
Formerly: hollypitcock1@
seller

My Mood:

We have no issues with the 17 yo girl taking a bath. . .heck we sometimes have to kick her out of the bathroom,

Our 12 yo son is just now starting to care about his, well "odor" . But from 6 yo to recently he could have cared less and sometimes would have to be forced into the bathroom

Now our 5 yo princess would take a bath every hour if we let her. She hates being dirty or having "toe jamming", so she is constantly begging for a bath.

And the 13 mo doesn't really count, case we just throw him in with whoever is bathing at the time,
handmadebymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 08:10 AM   #8
Sabey-baby
Registered Users
seller

both my 2yo and 5yo ask for a bath nightly. The 5 yo perfers showers, but we usually don't do that since it's easier to bathe them at the same time.
1/10/03, 2/2/06, 7/17/08, #12/19/11
I sew.
Sabey-baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 08:11 AM   #9
Jillybean
Registered Users
seller

I'm not sure really since they've never been given a choice. I have a almost 10 yr old son who truly stinks if he doesn't shower daily and an 8 yr old daughter who I occasionally allow to skip a day(maybe once a week). Since they are used to showering so regularly I'd guess that they wouldn't want to go longer than a week so I voted 4-7 days for both.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:54 AM   #10
jessicanashville
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DS would voluntarily take a bath a couple times a day! He loves "swimming" and splashing around. We barely get dried off and he wants back in

Oh wait I just noticed this is for 5 and over DS is only 21 months...OOPS!
jessicanashville is offline   Reply With Quote