Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-09-2008, 10:31 AM   #1
sacredhrt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
What happened to our wonderful progress? Potty strike for my 9month old?

Okay, so we started EC around 6 months and now my daughter is 9 months. About a month ago we were at a point where she would usually only have 2 wet diapers a day (mainly if I didn't catch her right after her naps or when I was cooking dinner). Anyway, now I'm lucky if I can get her to pee in the potty twice a day. Yesterday I put her on the potty and I knew she had to go but she didn't want to sit on it. She climbed off the BBLP and proceeded to pee on the floor. HUH? What's this all about? Why do they "strike" and how long does it last?

Advertisement

sacredhrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:59 PM   #2
kochanyk
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What happened to our wonderful progress? Potty strike for my 9month old?

No idea *why* but my 18 mo old DS did that from 9-12 mo (really long potty strike- involved a lot of kicking, screaming and bucking instead of pottying). I found with both kids that was about the time they developed strong potty preference (well 6-9 mo they decided they only liked one way to sit, and one type of potty, etc). DS2 wasn't real consistent again until 14 mo and about then started completely refusing dipes then grad'd by 17 mo. It's been nearly 2 months that he's been fully PL'd now and going on his own. Anyways, what I'm saying is, don't feel bad about the potty strike- completely normal! Even if it lasts a while it may not put a damper on progress Maybe switch it up with some different positions (DS1 would only go backwards and hated the lil potty but DS2 would only go forwards butt near the water or on a little potty until they each PL'd- then they got less picky).
Old 05-09-2008, 11:04 PM   #3
CindyLynn
Registered Users

My Mood:

Ok, I may have misunderstood. You started toilet training at 6mos?
Old 05-10-2008, 03:24 AM   #4
TaivensMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So sorry you are hitting a potty pause...Skye went through this at nine months as well...it lasted for about 2-3 months! it was actually because she was walking, and just too busy to stop and potty...plus I was transitioning her from an EC hold to sitting on the potty and she just wasn't getting it...because never failed when we were out in public she would always go for me, because I did the hold with ehr she was used to...it was very frustrating especially with poop...because I know each and everytime she needs to go...and I KNEW she was just gonna refuse to go on the potty and poo in her diaper...she then comes running over to me slapping her diaper sayind "biper poop" and would rip it off...( I guess a lot of changes happened around her potty pause now that I think about it...we not only changed her hold but also switched from side snap pockets to velcro AIO's so she was then able to remove them when wet or soiled)....she is a bit better now at 12 months but still NOTHING like she was when she was even a newborn!....I am stoked to try it again on my newborn soon, and hopfully she will see him doing it and want to join in more...we still are not catching as many as we were before her potty pause...but better than nothing at all...my husband is still amazed when I say, you are pooping..and two seconds later she has a crap in her pants...

Just remember it will pass, just bare with it and continue communicating as much as you can with out pushing the issue...I know Skye still knows she is going because she tells me seconds after or comes to me with her diaper...so at least she isn't sitting in it for hours...but I also can't wait for her to get accustome to her activity level and stop and sit for a few minutes!

Good luck!
Old 05-10-2008, 08:20 PM   #5
sacredhrt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks mamas! That makes me feel better, even though we may be in for a long haul! We'll see what develops - but it is frustrating when you KNOW they have to go and for some reason they just don't want to put the stuff where it belongs. Oh well. Thanks again!
Old 05-10-2008, 08:23 PM   #6
sacredhrt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyLynn View Post
Ok, I may have misunderstood. You started toilet training at 6mos?
Well, you could call it that. But basically we just got a late start on elimination communication. There are some great articles about it at The EC Store website (about to sign off but you can just google it and it will take you right there).