Closed Thread Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 05-09-2008, 12:59 PM   #11
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: weaning my 5 month old and it's really hard.

honestly mama if you even think you MIGHT regret quitting dont do it! My DS weaned at 6 months and not because I wanted to. We were in the middle of a move, which was very stressful (always is for military families) so he got bottles a couple times a day. Well that hurt my supply bad as it was. Then when we got here and moved into temporary lodging, I got a really bad bug and I was so dehydrated that my milk literally dried up over night. I miss breastfeeding so much and it sucks even more because i know that he's my last. Try to stick with it, it will get easier!

Kris to Jesse since 6/17/00
SAHM to Douglas (9/21/01) Rebekah(12/9/02) and Logan (4/17/07)

Old 05-09-2008, 01:20 PM   #12
Kaden's mom
Registered Users
My Mood:

to you mama. It's so hard to wean when you weren't planning to so soon. I had to wean DS at 9 weeks because I had severe PPD and needed a medication that didn't mesh with bf'ing. I actually weaned by pumping because I started on the med right away. It was very painful to dump the milk down the sink. DS made a quick transition to the bottle and formula. He's a healthy, intelligent two year old now. One thing that helped me was knowing that my brother was only bf'd for two weeks and he is brilliant man today.

If you decide to wean, allow yourself to grieve that loss. You are still a good mama. Your baby will benefit from you taking care of yourself too.
**Sarah***SAHM***Wife to Matt, my best friend ***Mom to my sweet boys, Kaden 2/2006 and Jack 8/2008**
Old 05-09-2008, 02:11 PM   #13
Registered Users
My Mood:

It doesn't have to be all or nothing. There are solutions to find a balance so you both can continue to benefit from breastfeeding.
Annabelle Mom to Makaley 19, Arden 19, Anniston 18, Taegan 15,Balen 13,Kellen 11, Ellery 9,Innish 7,Eiley 5, Finnian 4, and Esca 2, and Isolde 1/16/2014, 10th hbac, 9th uc.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:39 PM   #14
Registered Users
Formerly: Maddie'sMom
My Mood:

Originally Posted by Suliah View Post
I'm gonna go against the crowd and actually support you...

My DS weaned at about 4 months-- mostly because I was working full time so he obviously had to have bottles. I was pumping to try to keep up and he was getting b/m at daycare, but soon he decided that it was EASIER to eat from a bottle, he didn't have to work as hard. Plus I'd nurse him after working out (and before, actually) and he hated it-- the lactic acid buildup in my body made my milk sour or something. He eventually started refusing the breast and reaching for the bottle, and didn't seem to care if it was formula or breast milk. During that time I'd frozen some as well, so about once every couple days he'd get the breast milk. He clearly preferred that, but since he'd refused the breast my supply dwindled to nothing within a week or two.

I don't regret it at all. It worked out for both of us, as pumping at work was becoming nearly impossible. He's fine and healthy now, and we had the freedom we both wanted. I wish you the best of luck, try not to feel guilty.
You had excess lipase which is common and easily corrected. You didn't have to wean for that reason.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:01 PM   #15
Registered Users
My Mood:

when my DD was 6 months old I was working 3 jobs, and you couldn't have paid me a million dollars to mess with the expense or hassle of formula and bottles. It was a hassle to pump, but at that point I could often do with once in 8 hours. Plus the solid foods were a big help.
I just can't imagine if she woke up at 4 or 5 a.m. (because if she goes to bed at 9 that's 8 hours of sleep.. a kid can't go 8 hours on an empty tummy!) stumbling around in the dark getting a kid who is probably getting louder and louder, then going downstairs and mixing up formula, hoping there's a clean bottle handy... what a headache! We started the family bed when DD outgrew the cosleeper, and we all sleep great now. If she's hungry we both wake up for maybe 20 seconds, then we're asleep again.
I felt like I was the selfish one refusing formula because really bf'ing is so much easier! and I can't imagine how much formula would cost
Wife to my furry-faced SAHD 10-14-05
Mama to Cricket 1-18-07 and Mauri 5-27-09
Old 05-09-2008, 03:26 PM   #16
Registered Users

breastfeeding is the best gift you can give your baby i say put up with it! I tried so hard to bf my first now that my second is nursing I love it and wish I couldve done the same for my first... its such a bonding that no dad or other could do
Sydney SO to Geo Mom 2 Nathan 10-16-06 Micah 11-09-07
Be the change you wish to see in the world.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:48 PM   #17
Registered Users
My Mood:

It gets easier Mama, it really does! There are major ups & downs during the first year with everything, and breastfeeding and sleep are two major things that go through periods of being easier & harder. You didn't say whether you work or not, are you gone all day from your baby or are you at home with her? I am a big supporter of BF but that doesn't mean that it has always been easy for me or that my girls always let me sleep. Dd1 didn't sleep through the night until I night-weaned her at 10 1/2 mo (she weaner herself the rest of the way at 14 1/2 mo) and dd2 didn't sleep through the night until about 1 1/2 months ago (about 13 1/2 mo) and she isn't showing signs of wanting to wean completely yet at 15 mo.

Just in case you didn't know, your milk supply drops when you use formula. BM is a supply & demand kind of thing, and every time you use formula instead of BF your body says "oh ok, so we don't need that much milk anymore" and makes less. You may already know this, but a lot of people don't see the correlation between using formula & the decline of breastmilk supply. It is a slippery slope.

Maybe try to find more ways to make up for the sleep you are losing at night. Can you take naps during the day? Can you go to bed earlier & have your dh help with your older child's bedtime? I know it's hard, but it's really really really hard to start BF again after you stop, and the benefits absolutely cannot be duplicated with formula. mama, and I hope it gets better for you soon. Remember, this too shall pass!
Carrie: Mom of 3 gorgeous girls; Hazel 01/04, Annalisse 02/07, and baby Roxy 07/12...
Newly married to my NZ Captain of Awesomeness, proud member of UUA, & Magnum owner LOVER

Free Crochet Longies Instructions Here
Old 05-09-2008, 03:58 PM   #18
Registered Users
My Mood:

Originally Posted by Riverdavidsmama View Post
Hi there, I can't really offer you support and I know that's what you're looking for, but I do want to encourage you to REALLY think about this before you do it. This is a big decision and once you stop you can't go back. I have a friend who weaned her child at 6 mos and regrets it to this day.
The AAP recommends breastfeeding for at least one year (and the World Health Organization recommends at least TWO) and formula doesn't even come close to what breastmilk can do. I know that at times it is a sacrifice but your baby will reap the benefits for a lifetime.
With each passing month (especially after the sixth month when you start solids) your baby will be able to go longer without nursing and won't be as dependent on you. I would try a wrap or sling, too. It's great for nursing hands-free during the busy times of day when you can't sit down to nurse.
I think that breastfeeding is the single most important thing I have done for my son's health and emotional well-being (as well as my own). He is 18 mos and still nursing and I wouldn't give it up for anything. It's the first thing he wants when he gets hurt or isn't feeling well, it puts him to sleep so easily, and it's a nice quiet time for us to reconnect in a busy day.
I think if you can get past this rough point you'll find that nursing actually makes things EASIER, not harder. If you switch to formula, you'll still be getting up at night (it's a myth that they sleep through the night with formula), but now you'll have to make a bottle instead of snuggling up in a rocking chair and drifting off to sleep. Your baby will probably be sick more often, too, and for longer periods, which will tie you down and be more inconvenient than having to pump a bottle to go out. And when your baby is hungry you have to prepare a bottle, not to mention washing them, going out to buy formula, the costs, etc.
Anyway, I hope I'm not offending you but I am really passionate about this. I think you'll find that if you really search out why you want to stop and what the repercussions will be for you and your baby, you might find another solution and change your mind.
Anyway, best of luck to you and I hope you figure out something that will work for you and your family. Take care, mama.

I have to agree here... very well said. My dd is 1yr old and still a nursing feen! I wake about 6ish times a night to feed her! But I made that decision by having kids that I will put their needs before my own. I would also not give it up for anything!!! Please reconsider!!! Its so sad 5 months is soooo young! Please re-think your decision!!! You can never get it back....
* Sage * ~ Married to my handsome man who still makes my heart skip a beat after 12 years!
Mama to My Warrior Son~ 8/19/03 and My Little Mermaid DD~ 5/14/07
Sweet Little Cally 5/23/11
Kai Grayson Arrived June 3 2014
Old 05-09-2008, 04:05 PM   #19
Registered Users
My Mood:

I definitly agree with other mothers in saying that adding in some solids may ease up some of your needs to wean. If your little one is pleased with some other foods, she may not want to nurse as often, you can save nursing for nap time or bed times or just times that you have time to sit down and relax. I know from a young age of my little one, now 13 months, as soon as my milk was flowing my body relaxed and it actually benefited me as well.
Try nursing part time and if that doesn't work, then maybe reconsider weaning. Goodluck!
Wahm to 4 girls
• In-stock Skirts & headbands & customs available •

Check us out on Facebook
Old 05-09-2008, 04:07 PM   #20
Registered Users
My Mood:

I just want to add that 'freedom' is elusive if you are a parent whether you breastfeed or not. If this is your first LO, I want to be honest and tell you some things get easier as the child is able to care for him/herself (get dressed, feed themselves, etc.) but some things are just hard when you are a parent.

I also have an 8 yr old and 4 1/2 yr old and I will tell you it goes fast. I hear ya on the needing a break. Is there a way you can get out once a week for an hour or two on your own? Maybe even just getting time to yourself can help. At this age a little cereal while you're away may be a good option. You're just so close to the point where breastfeeding gets just a little easier (on you).

(FWIW - my *1* year old still wakes 1 or 2 times between midnight and 6 am and this is normal, plus I'm gone during the work day on weekdays so I think he is 'making up' a bit -- not all babies wake at night -- in another couple months though I *know* he'll be sleeping longer. It seems like F*O*R*E*V*E*R when you are sleep deprived, etc. but this time will FLY and before you know it you'll be sending out graduation announcements.)

Only YOU can decide what is best in your situation. Best of luck.
~Señora Susan~ woh-mompreneur
SPANISH links SPANISH Bookstore
All Boy, All the Time! L 02.09 | E 05.07 | I 07.03 | N 09.99
There are only two lasting bequests we hope to give our children; one is roots, the other wings.
Closed Thread