Closed Thread Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-09-2008, 04:16 PM   #21
jjaelovesenglish
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: weaning my 5 month old and it's really hard.

I am sorry you are having such a rough time. I had a really rough time around 5-7 months and then it got easy again. My LO is 9 months and I am glad I stuck in there as I was not able to the first time around and I regretted that.

Advertisement

Old 05-09-2008, 04:17 PM   #22
*Katherine*
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would give yourself time to really think it over mama. It does sound as if you don't want to stop. I also have a 2 year old and a DH who is a firefighter and works 24+ hours at a time. I know how hard it is, especially on lack of sleep. Have you thought about cosleeping? It has saved my sanity and I am able to get a little sleep. I FF my oldest and would resent the fact that I had to get up at night and fix a bottle now that I know how easy BFing is. My youngest is 7.5 months old and it is getting a lot easier, especially now that she is an efficient nurser. I say, give yourself another week, trying out different tips the ladies have given here. You just might change your mind
Old 05-09-2008, 04:35 PM   #23
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

to the OP, I'm sorry you are having such a hard time. If you decide to wean, I hope you can find the best way to do it so it doesn't traumatize either of you. If you decide to give it another try, I hope things get a little less hectic and you find your way. Nursing is such a sacrifice sometimes. Just remember that despite what anyone tells you, this is your decision and it doesn't make you less of a mom. We all do what's right for ourselves and our kids.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:39 PM   #24
debmom2boyz
Registered Users
Formerly: n***_n_b**
seller
seller

My Mood:

I tend to think if you are that uncertain, then don't.

Sleep...what's that anyway?
Old 05-09-2008, 06:41 PM   #25
kmjmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

sorry. you can pretty well expect not to get any support here. Especially people who had a hard time bf'ing don't understand the desire (urge, need....whatever) to stop. I weaned ds at 4 months and it was defiantly harder on me than it was him. he is a very smart little boy who has thrived and generally done so much better on formula than he ever did on breast milk. If weaning is what you need to do to be the best mom for your baby than that is fine. Formula is not poison and the 5 months of breast milk was a great gift to him. I still get great hugs and smiles, I dont need to be nursing to be a good mom.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:34 PM   #26
EMTMommy
Registered
Formerly: Brooklyn&Abby'sMom
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by julieberry View Post
I think you're being selfish, but it's your decision you need to do what you feel is right for yourself and your dd.
My thoughts exactly. My 8 month old still nurses almost every 3-4 hours and sometimes all night.
Brooklyn had surgery to repair her Coarctation on 2/24/11!!

Last edited by EMTMommy; 05-09-2008 at 07:35 PM.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:50 PM   #27
naivete
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I also don't see how it'll result in more sleep. Yes formula fed babies do sleep a little longer because their bodies can't digest formula all that well, but really it's only like, an extra 30 minutes, they're still going to wake up often, especially during growth spurts, and then instead of popping a boob, you have to get up, lumber down to the kitchen, get the water ready, prepare the formula, feed the bub, lumber back down to put it all away. And then.. do it again in 3 hours?

Honestly my bub wakes up 3-4 times a night still at 8 months old.. but all I do is pop it out, and we both go back to sleep. I don't need to wake up or move and neither does he.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:59 PM   #28
crystalanne79
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I understand and you shouldn't feel bad at all. I weaned my DS at 3 months due to bad thrush for both of us. We battled it for 2 months straight and with no end in sight I gave up. I felt really guilty since it was because of my pain and my selfishness that I quit (his didn't seem to be bothering him) but I know deep down that it didn't make me a bad mother and that a truly happy mommy is better for my son. Whatever it takes to make you more stress-free will make you a better mommy which will make your baby even more happy. It's true and as hard a time I had believing that at first I did come around and realize how much easier life was after I weaned. I don't regret it and even though I do feel judged by others at times I know I did what was best for us and that's what matters.

I also want to say to the other previous posters that this mom is asking for support and calling her selfish is not helping in any way. If you don't have something nice to say that no need to post anything!

Last edited by crystalanne79; 05-09-2008 at 08:02 PM.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:11 PM   #29
4BabyUnit
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am shocked and saddened by what you are having to read from some of these people. I am sending you a huge hug. You are the only one walking in your shoes. I seriously doubt that you are selfish, and I'm just as sure that your children don't think so. Happy Mother's Day (nearly) Mama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalanne79 View Post
I also want to say to the other previous posters that this mom is asking for support and calling her selfish is not helping in any way. If you don't have something nice to say that no need to post anything!
Old 05-09-2008, 08:16 PM   #30
byumommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalanne79 View Post

I think someone needs to point out the big picture to her. Sleep deprivation is no fun, but its miniscule in the light of what you are giving your child.

And posting this on a breastfeeding support board isn't going to get her any kudos for wanting to wean a 5 month old.

Like a PP said ... I have also exclusively formula fed AND exclusively breastfed (different children). BFing through the night is ALOT easier than formula feeding through the night. There are many feedings (BFing) I don't even remember since I co-sleep and just stick my bewbie in her mouth. OP, are you co-sleeping?
Closed Thread