Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-09-2008, 01:16 PM   #11
eljube112
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: "You need to wean! It is time!" -Vent

how old is she? I wouldn't have ever thought of giving up nursing at 6 months. if she is happy and healthy then you are doing the right thing. since it is your in-laws I think dh should be the one to step up and set them straight! or you could just refuse to see them until she actually IS weaned! that might throw them for a loop!

Advertisement

eljube112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 01:20 PM   #12
sadiekat
Registered Users
seller

LOL She is 19 months now.
sadiekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 01:20 PM   #13
SublimeBaby
Registered Users
Formerly: hypnomom
seller

My Mood:

Hubby really needs to stand up and tell them to put a sock in it. If that is impossible, then you should print them out the WHO recommendations and wrap them up for mother's day.

I have no patience for people who act like that, at. all. I would have already told them to stick it where the sun didnt shine after calmly explaining to them once the benefits of breastfeeding and extended breastfeeding.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:24 PM   #14
sadiekat
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SublimeBaby View Post
Hubby really needs to stand up and tell them to put a sock in it. If that is impossible, then you should print them out the WHO recommendations and wrap them up for mother's day.

I have no patience for people who act like that, at. all. I would have already told them to stick it where the sun didnt shine after calmly explaining to them once the benefits of breastfeeding and extended breastfeeding.
DH just says that is the way they are and shrugs. I've quoted the WHO recommendations as well as our pedis till I am blue in the face. They just do not care.

I've stopped short of telling them off. Although I may be getting to that point.
sadiekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 01:26 PM   #15
naturalbirthmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hey, Mols (like your new nickname ) They're just stoopid (said like Dave Ramsey b/c I like how he says it, not because i can't spell) Miss you.
Autumn ~~ Haley 12, Haven 10, Paisley 7, Sterling 5, Camden 3, Finley 1*the bathroom baby* and #7 due August 2015
I have amazing eyelashes! Wanna know how?? www.beautifullyblessedlashes.com
naturalbirthmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 01:35 PM   #16
topazdodge
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think you may be at that time when you need to tell them off. You should not have to feel like there is ANYTHING wrong with what you are doing.

Free Crochet Longies Instructions Here
topazdodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 01:36 PM   #17
madnlock
Registered Users
seller

I think I might hear it from my mother and MIL too - but they might not be quite as vocal (tell it to my face as I am nursing). They are might likely to talk about me behind my back. DD is 17 months old. I weaned my first two shortly after they turned 1. I think the grandmothers thought ds #1 should have been weaned sometime around his first tooth. Anyhow, ds #1 and #2 both had speech delays even though they did not nurse much beyond 1 year. DS #1 nursed on schedule and slept by himself the most and even cried it out a few times and he was by far the most clingy and the least independent.
madnlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 02:08 PM   #18
sahm108
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***la
seller

My Mood:

"You need to get some manners! It is time! The way you act in front of your grandchild is disgusting!"

Seriously, I would make it very clear to them that it isn't up for discussion. I look at their behavior as bullying. You need to put a stop to it either by not seeing them or by telling them that the badgering needs to stop. They are testing you, seeing how far they can push you and how influenced you are by their opinion. You don't have to be as snide as I was in the quotes, but maybe say something like, "I have heard your opinion, but this is not up for discussion. If you choose to continue to bring it up then we will leave." They don't sound like the kind of people who are willing to be educated, KWIM?
Old 05-09-2008, 02:48 PM   #19
Meredith+2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2lyela View Post
"You need to get some manners! It is time! The way you act in front of your grandchild is disgusting!"

Seriously, I would make it very clear to them that it isn't up for discussion. I look at their behavior as bullying. You need to put a stop to it either by not seeing them or by telling them that the badgering needs to stop. They are testing you, seeing how far they can push you and how influenced you are by their opinion. You don't have to be as snide as I was in the quotes, but maybe say something like, "I have heard your opinion, but this is not up for discussion. If you choose to continue to bring it up then we will leave." They don't sound like the kind of people who are willing to be educated, KWIM?
Ditto- telling them tha twe have reached an impasse on this issue.

"I have heard what you have to say, you have heard what I have to say, and we're not going to change each others' minds. Let's decide to be done with that topic."
Meredith+2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 03:03 PM   #20
bobandjess99
Registered Users
seller

WHY on earth woulld you ALLOW yourself to be treated that way?

It is YOUR CHOICE to allow this.

Let them know in NO UNCERTAIN TERMS that you will not be spoken to like that, and if they want to spend any time with you (and by extension, their grandchildren), then they WILL treat you with respect.

Put the ball in their court and leave it there. If they want to be in your life, they need to treat you nicely.

I don't think quoting WHO or anything matters one bit...it isn't about breastfeeding per se, but the fact that they are being rude and disrespectful..WHAT they are being rude about doesn't matter. You are a person deserving of basic human respect and anyone who thinks they can be rude or mean to you for ANY reason simply does not deserve the pleasure of your presence.
Period.

Last edited by bobandjess99; 05-09-2008 at 03:05 PM.
bobandjess99 is offline   Reply With Quote