Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-09-2008, 03:13 PM   #21
tiredmommyof8
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: "You need to wean! It is time!" -Vent

I would have a long talk with dh and tell him that this bothers you very much and that you are doing what you think is best for your child. You should tell him that you hope he feels the same as you about the health and well being of your children and family. Tell him that he needs to speak with his family about this and tell them that if they can't stop harrassing you about nursing YOUR baby then you do not want to be around them. If this doesn't work then lock the door when you go nurse the baby and if they continue to act like a$$es then remove yourself and your children from their presence until they can respect your choices.

I use to go off to another room to nurse when my in-laws where here or when I was at their home (but we don't go there any more too many kids not enough room) Personally I am old and wouldn't take any more crap off of anyone and I would tell them to #$%%^&^* off and leave me alone.

Advertisement

Kate~ Now an exhausted Mommy of 9!
ISO/IHA
tiredmommyof8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 03:14 PM   #22
kello
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

[QUOTE=bobandjess99;3540038
Let them know in NO UNCERTAIN TERMS that you will not be spoken to like that, and if they want to spend any time with you (and by extension, their grandchildren), then they WILL treat you with respect.

Put the ball in their court and leave it there. If they want to be in your life, they need to treat you nicely.

I don't think quoting WHO or anything matters one bit...it isn't about breastfeeding per se, but the fact that they are being rude and disrespectful..WHAT they are being rude about doesn't matter. You are a person deserving of basic human respect and anyone who thinks they can be rude or mean to you for ANY reason simply does not deserve the pleasure of your presence.

Period.[/QUOTE]

Don't let them treat you that way. You are doing what is best for your baby nutritionally, be sure to do what is best for you (and baby) emotionally as well. If I were you, next time I would just get up and walk out.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:25 PM   #23
armywife2002
Registered Users
seller
seller

ask them if its so gross, why do they keep following you to watch? lol

Want to earn gift cards searching the net? Click HERE to join Swagbucks!
armywife2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 04:58 PM   #24
patagonia
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ugh that's not nice of them at all!
patagonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 05:19 PM   #25
eragsdale
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalenandEllasmomma View Post
DH just says that is the way they are and shrugs. I've quoted the WHO recommendations as well as our pedis till I am blue in the face. They just do not care.

I've stopped short of telling them off. Although I may be getting to that point.
Write down the cost of what formula would cost (about $600.00 a month) that insurance will NOT cover and also ask them if they would like for you to give her a formula which 1st ingriedent is CORN SYRUP! (This is what Daniel was on for the same issues) I didn't even get to re-lactate, but i got comments like; "so, if he can't tolerate soy/milk at 1 are you still going to bf?" and i just calmly looked at them and said yep! I will bf until i can't anymore, whether that is through my breast or sippy cup. You should have seen their eyes.

So they already KNOW with the next baby to not EVEN bring it up.
eragsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 05:23 PM   #26
byumommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Honestly, I would NEVER visit them with those nasty comments spewing from their mouths. Their loss! Your children have a wonderful Mama

ETA: My MIL is great. She sent me an article yesterday on how breastfed babies are smarter My mom is another story, she keeps hinting that she will sneak her a bottle and/or solids (luckily she is 400 miles away). I love her dearly, but she just doesn't get it.

Last edited by byumommy; 05-09-2008 at 05:29 PM.
byumommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 05:32 PM   #27
lulusmom
Keepin' it Crunchy!
seller

My Mood:

Anyone who told me that I would tell to shove it, and it doesn't matter how they are related to me! I've never personally gone to another room to bf either, whether I'm at my own parents' house or my in-laws. I don't care who sees it, it's normal and natural and if they don't like it I won't be coming over to visit with their granddaughter any time soon. Since you do go to another roon they should be respectful of your nursing space. I would tell them that you would like a little privacy the next time they do that, and maybe add that you wouldn't think of walking in on THEM when they are onviously in their private space.

Helen-Natural birthing, extended bf'ing, cosleeping, non-vaxxin' mama to Holly Lu 8/18/07
lulusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 05:36 PM   #28
byumommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I NIP all the time, but I do not nurse in front of my FIL. While he is supportive of BFing, he is 80 & would be very embarrassed if he accidentally caught a glimpse of my bewbie. I don't mind stretching out on MIL's bed to nurse Caroline Its comfy! Same with my Dad. He was here for a week visiting. It made BFing more complicated, but I did nurse Caroline in our bedroom out of respect for him. That said, I NIP in front of strangers and my immediate family all the time

Regarding the OP ... just nuts that they invaded your privacy to ridicule you. You are a stronger woman than me, I would have opened a can of whoop @$$ on them

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulusmom View Post
Anyone who told me that I would tell to shove it, and it doesn't matter how they are related to me! I've never personally gone to another room to bf either, whether I'm at my own parents' house or my in-laws. I don't care who sees it, it's normal and natural and if they don't like it I won't be coming over to visit with their granddaughter any time soon. Since you do go to another roon they should be respectful of your nursing space. I would tell them that you would like a little privacy the next time they do that, and maybe add that you wouldn't think of walking in on THEM when they are onviously in their private space.
byumommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 05:58 PM   #29
jjaelovesenglish
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie'sMom View Post
I can relate, but its my own family, not the ILs.

My mom told me last week that the reason Maddie is so "dependent and clingy" (yes, I know its a +/- 2 year old phase) is because she cosleeps and that the reason she has a speech delay is because I still nurse her.
That is hilarious that your family thinks your LO has a speech delay because you still nurse her. Just cracks me up.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:28 PM   #30
debmom2boyz
Registered Users
Formerly: n***_n_b**
seller
seller

My Mood:

We don't see family to hear those comments.

My very dear friend bf until her son was almost 3, so she's encouraging.

Some folk at work probably raise a brow...I say the AAP actually recommends to the age of 2.

My mom....we haven't discussed it lately, but it was after he was 1. I just have to say it's her ignorance. She just doesn't know.
debmom2boyz is offline   Reply With Quote