Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-09-2008, 08:26 PM   #11
graymojo
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: It's official~ our doctor thinks I'm a fruit loop!

Our doctor suggests poly visol vitamin drops. It smells bad and tastes worse. I think the peds are required to push the vitamins.
I'm surprised, though, that she suggested baby food and not the vitamin. The only baby food that really has iron is the baby cereal.

Advertisement

www.turtleheadsteaandcoffee.com
graymojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:07 PM   #12
jackkant
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by graymojo View Post
Our doctor suggests poly visol vitamin drops. It smells bad and tastes worse. I think the peds are required to push the vitamins.
I'm surprised, though, that she suggested baby food and not the vitamin. The only baby food that really has iron is the baby cereal.
Avacado is suppose to be high in iron. I've considered feeding my LO avacado and nothing else 'til she's really interested in food (she's not interested in food yet).

My blog, The Weekly What-What?! updates on Sundays and Thursdays.

EZ Squeezees Reusable Baby Food Pouch Product Review and Recipe
-- Children's Farm Books -- Children's Steampunk Picture Books
jackkant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:22 PM   #13
mom2LBJ
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezoo View Post
Well, IME, testing iron levels at the 9 month checkup is pretty standard for all babies. And while I know that the iron in breastmilk is more readily available than the iron in other foods, my kids' situations went against that. My first started solids easily at 6 months (continued bf'ing until 18mos), and when his iron was checked at 9 months, he was totally fine. My second refused solids until around 9 months, and even then it was reluctantly, and when her levels were checked at 9 months, they were low. So she was exclusively bf'ing, but her levels were low anyway. And that low iron was hindering her ability to use her food adequately and put on weight (she was off the bottom of the chart - 16lbs at 1 year). I guess what I'm saying is that the standard iron level testing has a basis in fact, some babies do get low, because they are born w/ enough iron to last until about 6 months, and some people have a harder time using the iron in their diet. I don't think your doc was targeting you, just running a standard test, and providing the basic level of care.
I could of posted this myself Both of my boys were the same as your kiddos. The first was a great eater, started solids at 6 months, slef weaned at 18 months, and was fine. DS#2 didnt care for solids long after introducing them at 6 months and had low levels when he was checked. DS#2 at almost 1 yr doesn't even weigh what DS#1 did at 6 months! Both were EBF until 6 months, DS#2 refusing solids until around 9 months.
mom2LBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:37 PM   #14
Rosella
Registered Users
seller

This may be a very dense question, but WHY did she insist he was iron deficient? Simply because he is mostly EBF? Are there any issues or symptoms that made her think this otherwise?

I would go for the test, too.

We should remember that if a situation cannot be changed, there's no point in worrying about it. If it can be changed, there is no need to worry about it either, we should simply go about changing it. His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama
Rosella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 12:55 AM   #15
La Mere D'Anna
Registered Users

When my daughter turned a year she was nursing probably 90% of the time. She was a big baby, too lol (for a girl). 29 1/2 inches and 22 pounds and some ounces. I'm glad you did the blood work. You can stick to your guns if you are right and SHE'S WRONG lol! I totally support nursing exclusively through a year. Not only is it a common practice AROUND the world, breastmilk is made for infants and toddlers! It's custom designed food. He is JUST FINE and a big boy at that! She certainly had no right to jump to such conclusions.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:49 AM   #16
mdeveer
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You did the right thing. I know that's what we all need to hear sometimes! I also agree with a few other PP that you should, if possible, find a new pediatrician. After going through a few, I've finally found one that knows her stuff while respecting the fact that I'm their mom - which means I'm entitled to my opinion on the things I'm informed about, and I make the final decision without being berated for it. There are good peds out there like this!! Good luck and I hope you get positive results.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:34 AM   #17
Cyann
Registered Users
seller

My ped does iron checks routinely at 9 and 12 months (maybe later, too -- ours at 15 months wasn't routine, so I don't know for sure.) My son's level was perfectly fine at 9 months, but at 12 months it was low. He was in the middle of a horrendous bout of diarrhea at the time and had lost weight, so maybe that had something to do with it. Anyway, she prescribed iron drops, which he tolerated well, and his levels came right back up. They were still fine at 15 months, after he'd been off the drops for a while.

For what it's worth, he started solids (more than a bite a day) around 7.5 months, but didn't get any fortified baby cereal until after he was measured low.
Cyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 09:25 AM   #18
house-of-boys
Registered Users
Formerly: bsmama
seller

My Mood:

Thank you soo much ladies. I agree and can't wait to "prove" that I am right while using the current data to support myself.

I'll let everyone know when the test results come back.

Audrey
house-of-boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 02:12 PM   #19
Elena"s Mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, I don't have any links to any great info for you.
But I will say that my DD is 20 months old, was exclusively breastfed, and is vegetarian.
My doctor is a mainstream guy, but up to date and totally cool with my parenting choices.
He never told me to give her any supplements, but we did test her iron levels on 2 occasions.
She is PERFECT!
I said to him after the first time when she was really little "good, so no vitamins?" to which he replied that although they do test ALL of the babies that the vast majority of BF babies are absolutely fine.
Elena"s Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 07:51 AM   #20
becca1202
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just my theory, but it sounds sensible to me...I think the getting all the iron from breastmilk only works if the mother is eating enough iron. I know my iron levels tend to run at the low end of normal, so at 9mos if we haven't started solids I wouldn't be shocked if Naomi is iron deficient at least a little. (She's only 6.5 weeks now.) Anyway, seems you can only make iron rich milk if you have enough iron yourself. Something to think about...and I agree with pp that checking iron levels is just a standard care practice because iron deficiency can cause growth problems and such if you don't catch it.
becca1202 is offline   Reply With Quote