Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-12-2008, 11:23 AM   #21
mom23girls
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: It's official~ our doctor thinks I'm a fruit loop!

There is one reason that I know that you really do need to do the vitamins and that is if your baby was a preemie. The only reason that I was given was that their rapid growth makes their vitamin stores use up quicker than normal.

No one on here was in that situation but I thought I would pass it along in case anyone was asked again!

Those vitamins STINK though!!!

Advertisement

mom23girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 12:20 PM   #22
mayrain
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i am an extended, exclusive, child led weaning, delayed solids bfer, doctor shunning parent, HOWEVER, my daughter was hospitalized twice this winter, unable to deal with with some of the viruses that were going around. we ran some blood tests to see what was going on - turns out that she was SEVERELY anemic....i never would have guessed it - we are working on correctly the problem through natural food sources but i was shocked because i had always sworn up and down that a BF child could never be anemic.
so just remember that every babe is different....
Old 05-12-2008, 08:39 PM   #23
house-of-boys
Registered Users
Formerly: bsmama
seller

My Mood:

Well the nurse called, and everything was all clear. Bennett's hemoglobin levels were all within normal. I plan on printing off some updated information and dropping it in her office.

Thanks again for all the help and reassurance. It feels so good to have you all.

Audrey
house-of-boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 12:14 PM   #24
mammamo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: It's official~ our doctor thinks I'm a fruit loop!- UPDATED!

The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends iron levels at 9-12mo. range to check and see. I checked when my pedi wanted to have my DD's levels checked. Of course, they were fine....So it is a pretty routine test....

www.greenplanetbaby.com

mammamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 06:44 PM   #25
see_nelle_run
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by graymojo View Post
Our doctor suggests poly visol vitamin drops. It smells bad and tastes worse. I think the peds are required to push the vitamins.
I'm surprised, though, that she suggested baby food and not the vitamin. The only baby food that really has iron is the baby cereal.

Yeah we got a script for Poly Vi Yuck vitamins...which I promptly threw in the trash on the way out the door. =)

Red meat has iron as do many dark leafy greens..not like you're going to fix the baby a steak though

To OP...follow your instincts.
see_nelle_run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 02:53 PM   #26
millerbaby07
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my doc for jacob thinks i'm on the nutty crunchy train but thats ok. your doing great mama! if everything is normal there is no reason to rush solids. my son is 4 months and his doc said i can start feeding him solids this month when i said no way she looked at me as if i had flowers in my hair and dancing around with a naked baby nursing or something.
I'm a a cloth diapern' breastfeeding, baby wearing waterbirthing mama to Jacob (12/29/07), Emma 12/2/09 & New baby Girl due mid July & loving wife to my navy vet. Johnathan (3/24/07) IHA: Core Values NB NIP ISO: Melon Splash OS
millerbaby07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:12 PM   #27
ezzie
Registered Users

I know it's frustrating, but don't hate your dr. just because they're more traditional than you.

I didn't feed my baby solids right when I was told to, and I stubbornly stuck to breastmilk exclusively and ended up in the hospital for three days with my severely anemic, failure to thrive little nine month old. I wish I would have listened to the pediatrician sooner.

But glad to hear your son is fine. And I agree you should change Ped. if you're just not feeling the love.
ezzie is offline   Reply With Quote