Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-10-2008, 07:44 AM   #11
4BabyUnit
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: A Little Help For A Pumping Mom?

Ugghh...hope they will rent one to me cheap..we're broke! I will look into it for sure though. Thank you for the suggestions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdavidsmama View Post
A few things, mama. And good for you!
-Make sure you're using a hospital grade electric pump (you can rent one from a hospital); some mamas need the extra stimulation when they work and are away from baby so long
-Try an herbal tincture, Motherlove Herbals makes one called "More Milk". Take it religiously for a few days and try super pumping for a day or two (pumping every 2-3 hours) to get your supply perked up.
I worked at a breastfeeding resource store for about a year until we closed recently so I've helped lots of mamas in your situation. This usually does the trick! Good luck and good for you, mama!

Advertisement

Old 05-10-2008, 07:50 AM   #12
4BabyUnit
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you for the suggestions and support. To PP, I know what you mean about Mondays being hard...seriously hard to get back in the pumpin' groove. I know I will mourn when weaning comes, but there will be a small bright side...no more pumping...I seriously am getting to the point where I hate it...maybe that's part of my problem. I've tried to keep in mind why I am doing and thinking about my daughter, looking at pics, etc. This does help witth the letdown, but that hasn't really been a big problem (EXCEPT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT PUMPING FOR SOME REASONS..IF ANYBODY HAS ANY IDEA WHY OR A WAY TO GET OVER THAT PROBLEM, PLEASE LET ME KNOW). The middle of the night pumping is the only way I have any chance of freezing more for when I am away on a short trip in July. IF I DON'T HAVE ENOUGH FROZEN, WE'LL HAVE TO SUPPLEMENT, and thought I know it's not poison, I'd like to do what I can to avoid it if possible.
Old 05-10-2008, 11:54 AM   #13
doberbrat
Registered Users
seller

do you pump on your nonworking days? (Sat, sun, holidays?) thats what many have to do to make up the difference.

also, powerpumping can help. pump for 10min then stop for 10 then pump for 10 then stop for 10 and repeat (3 - 4 cycles) do that 1-2x a day for several days in a row (try to do it at the same time you normally pump) and you should see results.

depending on how your dd nurses, you might also try pumping before she nurses - try it on a sat. if she's too fussy to nurse after that b/c the flow is too slow, feed her what you pumped and let her continue nursing. my dd was ok doing this - it just took her a longer time to nurse and she' end up nursing again sooner than she would have normally done so.
Mamma to the best dd 10/05 and Expecting #2 edd 11/29/09 and 2 furkids!
doberbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 07:21 PM   #14
fuzzycakes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I always made sure to massage my breasts before I started pumping, and then "shake them out" a bit- to kind of encourage milk flow?! I don't know. Maybe I'm just silly. I also put lanolin around my nipples. It makes for a tighter seal, and *hopefully* better suction. Maybe I'm just making up my own wivestales though!
~Rebecca~ mamma to DS#1 Emmett (10/26/06) , DS#2 Henry (6/2/08) , and DS#3 Calvin (9/17/09)
fuzzycakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 08:28 PM   #15
kht2006
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

replace the little white rubbery bladder thingys on your pump. When I did I pumped 2+ more oz. on each side each session. Target used to carry them and they are cheap-o.

Power Pumping is a pain, but even if you do it one day a week, it will up your supply for several more days. You can google power pumping for more info. I did this around AF.

When you pump at night can you be in the room with your daughter so that you can see her and smell her.

Oh, and since you're in this for the long haul, you might want to consider a hands free pump bra...
Old 05-10-2008, 11:25 PM   #16
Cryssie
Registered Users

My Mood:

Most of everyone gave all my suggestions.

Cheap hands free bra- Small holes where your nipples are in a sports bra. fit the horn part on your boob and thread it through the hole. Put the pump part on the outside and away you go

Mom 33, Dad 32, Boo 7, Beet 1 , And Bug is here!!
Cryssie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 11:32 PM   #17
emilykaysmommy
Registered Users
seller

When my DD was around 8 months old I quit pumping at work... and pretty much at home too... My DD LOVED to eat solids and would nurse in the morning and when I got home, once between then and bed and at bedtime.
I haven't touched a pump since DD was 9 months and she still nurses every morning and occasionally before bed.

Like PPs said try bigger shields. I was a B/C and had to use the next size up from standard size.
Try WIC to get a hospital grade pump.
and... don't stress mama! you are doing great!!!!
Old 05-11-2008, 01:28 AM   #18
one_lucky_mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Don't know if you have tried it, but I've heard of mama's having a piece of the dc clothing that they have worn to smell/hold while the pumped. Your doing a great job mama.
Old 05-11-2008, 05:49 AM   #19
debmom2boyz
Registered Users
Formerly: n***_n_b**
seller
seller

My Mood:

Mama-I've basically pumped for 16 months!

Yes, try to replace the white membrane.
Eat some oatmeal.
Try to drink more water
Squeeze...that's what I do!

Good luck!
debmom2boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 06:02 AM   #20
haydn'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just want to give you a big hug for doing what you are doing. I've been pumping since my son was born and we didn't actually get to start bfing until 3.5mos. Now he's 14mos and we nurse 3 times/day and I no longer pump unless I'm not with him to nurse at bedtime. I noticed a decrease in my supply as well and tried numerous things: dom, fenugreek, oatmeal, mother's milk tea, more milk plus, and nettle mainly. They made small increases for me but nothing terribly significant. I did supplement some with formula, usually 6oz/day max. Try everything you can and if it doesn't happen, just know that you have done the best for your child and done more than a lot of mothers can. Good luck!!!!
SO to my big papa, stepmom to the fabulous Ben, and mama to my tornado of destruction, Haydn 3.2.07, my precious monkey Emerson 9.8.09 and my two angel babies 1.20.13 and 3.1.13, and cautiously with a miracle
haydn'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote