Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-11-2008, 09:40 AM   #21
4BabyUnit
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: A Little Help For A Pumping Mom?

Wow..thank you for the support and suggestions. In reply to previous posts, I will try new membranes, as I already have some; I just didn't know there was any real need to replace them unless I lost them in the dishwasher I just bought new tubing too. I will try having a piece of dd's clothing with me. I know the pump would wake her up if I tried to pump in the same room with her, but I might try it anyway; being in her room always relaxes me. My dd loves solids too, so if things don't work out, we will opt for nursing morning, at noon when I can visit her at lunch, and then several times at night and see how that goes. OH my WORD...somebody recommend a good nursing bra! I HATE ALL mine and lately have just been wearing regular no-wire bras and just pulling the whole thing up while I'm nursing. Any recommendations about where to get a hands-free one? I power-pumped last night and will do so 2 more times today and see if it helps. Time for more water ...Thanks so much Mamas!

Advertisement

Old 05-11-2008, 09:54 AM   #22
emilykaysmommy
Registered Users
seller

I found good nursing bras at Motherhood Maternity. Maybe try there?
I also got 2 decent ones at WalMart....

HTH
Old 05-11-2008, 10:33 AM   #23
4BabyUnit
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wow! You must have really great WalMart...Ours had SQUAT! I bought one from Motherhood, but I hated it. But then again, I'm suuuuper picky about bras!! I was even before I was wearing a nursing bra. I'd rather wear a sports bra and have "Uniboob" any day of the week. I did find one nursing sports bra, but I'm constantly "Nippleicious", so I don't like to wear it to work...hehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilykaysmommy View Post
I found good nursing bras at Motherhood Maternity. Maybe try there?
I also got 2 decent ones at WalMart....

HTH
Old 05-11-2008, 10:43 AM   #24
haydn'smommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I made my own hands free pumping bra. I got a sports bra and made two holes in the area of the nip, just large enough to squeeze the horn/shield through. You put the shield in the bra, onto your breast and slide the small part through that hole, and connect it to the rest of the setup. Cheap and easy. I was even able to pump while driving with that (although I don't necessarily recommend that).
SO to my big papa, stepmom to the fabulous Ben, and mama to my tornado of destruction, Haydn 3.2.07, my precious monkey Emerson 9.8.09 and my two angel babies 1.20.13 and 3.1.13, and cautiously with a miracle
haydn'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 02:16 PM   #25
lilyfrog_flowers
Registered Users
seller

Yaqy for you! I was a pumping mom as my DDs didn't nurse at all!
In order for Fenugreek to work you need to smell like the fenugreek, meaning you need to ingest a lot of it! I always had over production issues Wish I could help more. Some times just relaxing helps, if you are bummed about not having any milk your body responds accordingly.
Best of luck and prayers coming your way.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:18 PM   #26
Deanner03
"Life's tough. Get a helmet."
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkins_mom View Post

First off, YAY you for sticking with BFing and pumping this long!
I am a FT WOHM that has been BFing and pumping too. I have trouble getting enough because my daughter loves to eat! I have plenty of milk when I am with her, but I just don't respond well to the pump, even though I have a top-of-the-line consumer pump. I have taken fenugreek pills - they seem to make a real difference. The other thing that helped me is squeezing my breasts while pumping - so it's kind of like manual expression and electric pump in one. Also, I had to purchase larger breast shields - that has helped, too.
I'm guessing you've tried all of the classic suggestions - like looking at photos of your LO and trying to relax while pumping...
Oh, but the good news is that now DD is 9 months, and I am pumping pretty much exactly what she is eating! I'll keep my fingers crossed that a similar change happens for you.

I agree with that! I had the same problem. I spent the weekends nursing and pumping, and getting up in the night to have a few extra bottles to start the week. It's crazy, and hard. And you're doing the best you can! Keep up the good work!
Old 05-12-2008, 02:21 PM   #27
julieberry
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The feenugreek helped me out alot, and my pee started smelling like maple syrup. Another thing that worked for me is I would loop a rubberband through the hole of my nursing bra and attach the other peice to the hook and taa-da instand hand free pumping bra.
Like the other mamas said- oatmeal, water, and changing out the white membranes are also great ideas.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:47 AM   #28
4BabyUnit
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Again, thank you for the continued support! I'm definitely smelling like fenugreek today, and I'm pumping one more time while I'm at work, and it's working! I've definitely noticed an increase since I'm drinking more water and taking fenugreek again. I just have to keep it up. It's so hard to remember these things when you get busy. I am changing out the membranes tonight and hopefully waking up early enough tomorrow to eat oatmeal for breakfast. If I can't find the time at home, I will bring some to keep at work with me. Thank you again!!!
Old 05-13-2008, 08:09 AM   #29
4BabyUnit
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Another ? for you pumping pros....I pump once at work around 9:30 or 10:00, then I go nurse dd at 12 or 12:30. I'm afraid to pump it all out though b/c that might not leave her much. Am I being silly, or is that indeed a legitimate concern?Ughhhh..just pumped, and only 3 oz...sigh...thought things were improving...more water, more water.

Last edited by 4BabyUnit; 05-13-2008 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Additional ?
4BabyUnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 08:41 AM   #30
shannong
Registered Users
seller

A few tips I use

You get the most milk in the middle of the night because that is when your prolacten levels are highest because you are well rested and relaxed. As long as you can tolerate getting up to pump in the middle of the night (I know it is hard) it is great.

The cup size has little to do with the nipple, or flange size. Some women with not so big breast still need bigger flanges. The real test is to see how your nipple looks and feels when you are pumping. Does it hurt or rub? Does your nipple fill the tube part it gets pulled into, or does it have a bit of space all around? If it has some space all around then you are fine. If it fills the tube part of the flange then it would probably help you to get then next bigger size. This helps with comfort and milk production as well because the flange rubbing can block some ducts and less milk comes out.

More water always helps too. yes, it is hard and I am not going to lecture you, but it works. Also make sure you are eating well.

As for when to pump, that can be kinda tricky...If you pump shortly before your DD eats then she will stimulate more milk for her next time and in the future, but she may not get too much at that particular feeding. Emptying the best will definitely up your supply over time like a few days to a couple weeks. I would say try it and see how she responds. If she is just too hungry then you may have to adjust your pumping schedule a bit and pump till empty on other sessions.

HTH

Shannon