Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-07-2011, 03:11 PM   #31
an_aurora
Registered Users

Re: A Car Seat Primer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysian View Post
I'm looking for a booster seat for my almost 4 yr. old (37 lbs) to take on a trip. I have a Marathon in my car & love it. I thought if I bought a booster for the trip, then we can use it when she is too big for the Marathon. I wondered if anyone could give me their opinion on which of these 2 I should get, or if I should look at something else altogether. Thanks!

1. Britax Parkway $89
2. Evenflow Chase LX $55

Thanks for any help! The price doesn't matter as much as quality/safety/comfort.
Neither The Parkway has a 40lb minimum, and the Chase is a harnessed seat that harnesses to 40 pounds and then converts to a booster, but makes a poor booster.

If you are open to harnessing, look at the Evenflo Maestro ($80) that harnesses to 50 lbs and is lightweight and perfect for traveling.

The minimum for a booster is 4 years, but few kids are developmentally ready at that age. My oldest is 5.5 and can't sit still for long periods of time in a booster. Some kids aren't ready until 6+.

If you want a booster, and the kiddo is over 4 on the trip, the Graco Turbo booster is great for younger, smaller kids. However, I'd try it out at home before you leave for your trip to see how he does. You don't want to get to your destination and find out he doesn't sit well in a booster.

Advertisement

Last edited by an_aurora; 02-07-2011 at 03:13 PM.
an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:50 PM   #32
elysian
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_aurora View Post
Neither The Parkway has a 40lb minimum, and the Chase is a harnessed seat that harnesses to 40 pounds and then converts to a booster, but makes a poor booster.

If you are open to harnessing, look at the Evenflo Maestro ($80) that harnesses to 50 lbs and is lightweight and perfect for traveling.

The minimum for a booster is 4 years, but few kids are developmentally ready at that age. My oldest is 5.5 and can't sit still for long periods of time in a booster. Some kids aren't ready until 6+.

If you want a booster, and the kiddo is over 4 on the trip, the Graco Turbo booster is great for younger, smaller kids. However, I'd try it out at home before you leave for your trip to see how he does. You don't want to get to your destination and find out he doesn't sit well in a booster.
Thanks so much.....I'll check those out. She will be turning 4 right before the trip. I do like the harness, so that's probably the route I will go. Something that is lightweight for traveling is a big plus!
elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:06 PM   #33
Leiiki
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Can someone update this sticky to reflect the new AAP recommendations?

http://www.aap.org/advocacy/releases/carseat2011.htm
Old 03-29-2011, 08:56 PM   #34
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I did update the OP. Since AAP is just an organization that makes recommendations, I couldn't put that children must be RF until age 2. State laws do not reflect the recommendations. So, until then, the bare minimum is still 1/20. I sincerely hope state governments will reevaluate their laws regarding CPS.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:52 PM   #35
hapaimama2b
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for the info!
hapaimama2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:05 PM   #36
Soph's Mom
Registered Users

*bump for others*

This answers a lot of questions!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum and yes my iPhone editor likes to play jokes too!
Soph's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:36 AM   #37
Charleene
Registered Users
seller

Just curious, anyone know where to get a new locking clip for non-retracting seat belt use with car seats? We have 1 and we have been having to switch it out between the 2 car seats in the SUV because I cannot find the other one that came with the other car seat and I cant find them in stores. Any suggestions?
Charleene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:40 AM   #38
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleene View Post
Just curious, anyone know where to get a new locking clip for non-retracting seat belt use with car seats? We have 1 and we have been having to switch it out between the 2 car seats in the SUV because I cannot find the other one that came with the other car seat and I cant find them in stores. Any suggestions?
Babies R Us sells them for like $3 each, I think. They will say Graco or Evenflo, etc, but brand doesn't matter. They are all the same.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:07 PM   #39
Charleene
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackyl08 View Post
Babies R Us sells them for like $3 each, I think. They will say Graco or Evenflo, etc, but brand doesn't matter. They are all the same.
THANK YOU SO MUCH! It was SUCH a hassle to switch the car seats everytime we needed to go somewhere, and then having to get grandma to watch the other child while we went.....this is gonna be so much easier! Im headed out to Babies R Us next week, so I will pick one up then. THANK YOU!!!!!
Charleene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:03 PM   #40
burgler
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Two questions from the original post:

1) What are "Lock-offs"?

2) What is "Tethering", which is also noted is served by an "anti-rebound bar"?

Thanks!!!!