Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-12-2008, 09:58 AM   #21
mommyofnoah
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: BFing MUST haves =]

In my case, someone willing to run to the store for whatever I needed (more lansinoh, soothies (a must have), a nipple shield (my nipples were so cracked with chunks of skin missing...one day with anipple shield was all it took to help it have time to heal), going braless around the house and changing my shirt often has helped me. If you are pumping, put lanolin on before you pump...makes it easier on your nipples, at least for me. If pumping isn't working, you may need a smaller or larger nipple shield. Mother's Milk Tea. I love my boppy, but also needed about 5 other bed pillows to make myself more comfortable. and definitely people around you to encourage you when it gets tough, to tell you you are doing a good job and just to listen or let you cry. And this site too!

Advertisement

Old 05-12-2008, 10:13 AM   #22
bobandjess99
Registered Users
seller

MUST have?
boobs.

NICE to have....pillow which gives you good support..some like the boppy, others swear by my breast friend, etc. If possible, you should try them out beforehand, get an idea of which one positions the way you like. At home, I just use a bed pillow, i have an old boppy for when were out, but the breast friend is really better and i used it when ds was littler....

Some lanolin or nursing cream, i have an herbal one that is awesome and now doubles as diaper cream, i think it is from motherlove?

honestly, the best thing is just the attitude. don't "want" to breastfeed.
Breastfeed. Dont consider anything else an option, unless literally starving to death becomes a real possibility. Approach BFing like it is the only option and you HAVE to make it work.
There is the very slight chance you might have a true serious problem, and if that occurs, at least you will know you truly tried your best, and take advantage of science/medicine and feel great about using formula!!!!
bobandjess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 10:22 AM   #23
heathersmoker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My best suggestion is to pump,pump,pump in the beginning to get that milk flowing! After every nursing session pump. Also, keep putting baby to the breast to try feeding often. They are so sleepy at first!
Old 05-12-2008, 10:37 AM   #24
lydiamom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I love the My Brest Friend nursing pillow--I've used the boppy and found my brest friend to be MUCH more supportive--it goes around your back and I'm even able to get up and walk with it on if I forgot to pick something up and not disturb the baby.

Don't use nipple shields unless really necessary because you can become dependent on them, and I also had a friend whose supply dropped when she used them (they don't provide as much stimulation).

Good luck mama!

Baltic Creations co-op now open
lydiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 10:59 PM   #25
paintedbison
Registered Users
seller

#1 Lanolin
#2 Boppy

Nothing is really needed for breastfeeding... but those two things have made my life easier! The lanolin makes great chapstick if you never need it for sore nipples. Or you can use it to lanolize your woolies, lol!
Old 05-12-2008, 11:17 PM   #26
La Mere D'Anna
Registered Users

The best thing is that you really DON'T need anything with breastfeeding. I had a breastfeeding pillow (second hand) that worked great... was free... I used a hand pump the LC gave me that was pretty basic and FREE. I never really pumped much though. The only thing I bought, really, was a thing of Lansinoh. 8 dollars, but I only used a drop or two of it. The LC really gave me all I needed. She even gave me nipple protecting covers that were awesome. I really spent nothing to feed my baby until she was eating table food at 7 months, but even then she was 90% or more breastfeeding until a year old.

My advice is to not stress if you don't get one of those fancy breastfeeding pillows, breastfeeding covers, or 200 dollar double electric breast pumps. You really don't need any of it in the long run. You might want it, though, but it's not necessary.

Good luck!

Edit: I just thought... ONE THING that I did purchase, use, and repurchase were disposable nursing pads which I found to be more comfortable than the reusable ones. I had a set of the cloth ones, but didn't like them. They made me itch.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:55 AM   #27
Mamatoabunch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Breasts, remember mamas have nursed forever w/o any extras. I good pillow of some kind is nice, I just use a regular sleeping pillow and a good bra.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:10 PM   #28
05NavyBride
Registered Users

I got a hooter hider for mothers day....its great for nursing in public!
05NavyBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 02:49 PM   #29
millerbaby07
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

you must have boobies ok i'm just playing ummm i love reusable breast pads or else you will go through a million of the throw away ones. and just make sure to have no formula in the house to tease you into supplimenting you can do this mama! you might look into reading the breastfeeding book by dr. Sears
I'm a a cloth diapern' breastfeeding, baby wearing waterbirthing mama to Jacob (12/29/07), Emma 12/2/09 & New baby Girl due mid July & loving wife to my navy vet. Johnathan (3/24/07) IHA: Core Values NB NIP ISO: Melon Splash OS
millerbaby07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 02:56 PM   #30
MatildasMum
Registered
seller

My Mood:

boobs and water.

my baby hated the boppy. a pillow works just as well.
MatildasMum is offline   Reply With Quote