Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-16-2006, 10:08 AM   #1
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Red face Really strange question about BFing....

Ok, so I *may* be pregnant right now and I was thinking... Bram will have just turned two when this (hypothetical) baby is due. And I was thinking... well, why not give Bram some of my BM if I can? He'll still be plenty young enough, kwim? I mean, I'm not going to try to nurse him or anything... Its not like he would know what the heck to do with it. LOL So I would just pump it for him.

Sooo, my question is... has anyone ever had a baby, then couldn't/didn't BF (and dried up), then had another baby, and started giving DC#1 BM?

Or, is this idea just silly? Is it even necessary? Because in a way, I'm thinking "Well, he's got this far without it..." And I don't think I've ever heard of anyone doing this.

ETA: I guess I should also mention that Bram is very small for his age (18lbs 11oz @ 16m) and doesn't gain weight very easily.... Would BM would help or hurt his growth?

Advertisement

Last edited by urchin_grey; 09-16-2006 at 10:13 AM.
urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 10:15 AM   #2
Kimmomy2dom
Mmmm Saucers eating chocolate
seller

Location: I'm halfway across the country, but weirdos have a way of teleporting!
My Mood:
Re: Really strange question about BFing....

I say if you wanted to, I don't see a reason why you shouldn't. I don't have much excess milk right now, but I've contemplated adding some of my pumped milk to my son's (he'll be 2 in a couple weeks) sippy cup of cows milk.
It does give them all of the goodies it gives a baby - so it could be helpful to him.
Oh - it can't hurt his growth, only help IMO.

Last edited by Kimmomy2dom; 09-16-2006 at 10:21 AM.
Kimmomy2dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 10:19 AM   #3
Julesmom23girls
Banned

My Mood:

I don't have any experience but I don't think it would hurt any. I mean as long as you pump for him after the baby eats so the baby gets what it needs first. You will eventually boost your supply enough for both. And if he is getting mostly hind milk since you will feed the baby first and then pump for him it should have extra calories/fat to help him gain.

I hope someone else can help you better. If not maybe try to contact LLL, I don't know if anyone there can better answer your question. Good luck
Julesmom23girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 10:23 AM   #4
Hayley
Registered Users
seller

I don't see anything wrong with it what so ever! I have wondered this myself!
Old 09-16-2006, 10:38 AM   #5
KnottyLDSMama
Peachy with a side of keen, that would be me
Formerly: Moonprysm
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think it's an excellent idea! Like a pp said, as long as you're pumping after the baby's done, he'll be getting mostly hind milk, which will definitely help his growth. Good luck!
KnottyLDSMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 10:58 AM   #6
Prettylocks
Registered Users
seller

I think it is a great idea! Do it!

Last edited by Prettylocks; 10-16-2006 at 09:20 AM.
Prettylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 12:05 PM   #7
1bigfamily
Registered Users
seller

My 3 year old asked about about a month ago if he could have some of what the babies were having. The next day I gave him some freshly pumped milkk to try and he didn't like the taste. It won't hurt him to drink it but he may not like it.
Old 09-16-2006, 12:32 PM   #8
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for all the positive repsonses.
I'm kind of looking forward to trying it now!

As for wether he will like it or not... I will probably try putting it his cow's milk first. That's how I got him from formula to cow's milk.

By the way though, I'm still not sure if I'm even preggo or not. I just took another test and it was negative. I'm on CD35 though!! Blah.
urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 01:30 PM   #9
Gavin&Brent'sMommy
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think it's a wonderful idea!

Cristina, that is sooo cute!
Old 09-16-2006, 04:10 PM   #10
babygirls2
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Thumbs up Re: Really strange question about BFing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by urchin_grey
Ok, so I *may* be pregnant right now and I was thinking... Bram will have just turned two when this (hypothetical) baby is due. And I was thinking... well, why not give Bram some of my BM if I can? He'll still be plenty young enough, kwim? I mean, I'm not going to try to nurse him or anything... Its not like he would know what the heck to do with it. LOL So I would just pump it for him.

Sooo, my question is... has anyone ever had a baby, then couldn't/didn't BF (and dried up), then had another baby, and started giving DC#1 BM?

Or, is this idea just silly? Is it even necessary? Because in a way, I'm thinking "Well, he's got this far without it..." And I don't think I've ever heard of anyone doing this.

ETA: I guess I should also mention that Bram is very small for his age (18lbs 11oz @ 16m) and doesn't gain weight very easily.... Would BM would help or hurt his growth?
YAY...I'm not the only one..LOL!!! I did this same thing!!! I BF'ed #1 for 3 or 4 months and wasn't too successful. It didn't go to well. I had NO support and I knew nothing a/b BFing and there are NO LCs in this area believe it or not!!!! So I tried and tried but then my milk dried up. She was loosing weight and the Dr said just give her formula. So then with DD #2 I was DETERMINED not to give up and be successful!!!!! I was and am. DD #1 was a little jealous and curious as to why her sis could get "ninny" and she couldn't. So I shared. She was turned two 2.5 weeks after DD #2 was born. So I tandem nursed until her Nana (G'ma) found out she was BFing and embarrassed her and said that she was a big girl that she didn't need to be getting "ninny"....grrrrrr....I was P!$$ED OFF!!! So then when I asked her if she wanted any she would cry and say she did but then would act bashful like she done something wrong. So then I asked her if she wanted ninny in a cup and she has been getting it in a cup since. Every now and then she asks for ninny then says never mind when I whip it out. So then I just cuddle her and let her know how much I love her and she is better. So I say bravo to you for wanting to "share"!!!! I wished more mama's out there was more willing! I think it lessens the jealousy for siblings and creates a bond between them!!!! Plus mommy gets to cuddle both her babes at once. (That is if you decide to tandem nurse.) If not...your DC #1 is getting your milk, antibodies, and what he is supposed to be getting!!!!! Don't let it embarrass you b/c it shouldn't! Great job mama!!!!!

ETA: I also wanted to say DD #2 got what she needed first. I had an over abundant supply and one boob each filled 'em both up...lol...can I just say....Moooooooooooo.....LMBO!!! When I started pumping I would nurse the baby and after she was definitely "full" I would pump and get a/b 9 oz. So yes I am Molly Milk Cow! I had a hard time letting down to a pump but soon got the hang of it. I have a stockpile in the freezer that I continually replace b/c I use the oldest frozen milk first and then replace it with fresh milk. I also added it to her whole cows milk and added more and more until it replaced 3 servings of liquids in a day. HTHs!!!!

Last edited by babygirls2; 09-16-2006 at 04:24 PM.
babygirls2 is offline   Reply With Quote