Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-16-2006, 04:40 PM   #11
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Really strange question about BFing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygirls2
YAY...I'm not the only one..LOL!!! I did this same thing!!! I BF'ed #1 for 3 or 4 months and wasn't too successful. It didn't go to well. I had NO support and I knew nothing a/b BFing and there are NO LCs in this area believe it or not!!!! So I tried and tried but then my milk dried up. She was loosing weight and the Dr said just give her formula. So then with DD #2 I was DETERMINED not to give up and be successful!!!!! I was and am. DD #2 was a little jealous and curious as to why her sis could get "ninny" and she couldn't. So I shared. She was turned two 2.5 weeks after DD #2 was born. So I tandem nursed until her Nana (G'ma) found out she was BFing and embarrassed her and said that she was a big girl that she didn't need to be getting "ninny"....grrrrrr....I was P!$$ED OFF!!! So then when I asked her if she wanted any she would cry and say she did but then would act bashful like she done something wrong. So then I asked her if she wanted ninny in a cup and she has been getting it in a cup since. Every now and then she asks for ninny then says never mind when I whip it out. So then I just cuddle her and let her know how much I love her and she is better. So I say bravo to you for wanting to "share"!!!! I wished more mama's out there was more willing! I think it lessens the jealousy for siblings and creates a bond between them!!!! Plus mommy gets to cuddle both her babes at once. (That is if you decide to tandem nurse.) If not...your DC #1 is getting your milk, antibodies, and what he is supposed to be getting!!!!! Don't let it embarrass you b/c it shouldn't! Great job mama!!!!!
Aww, thanks! Pretty much the exact same thing happened to me when trying to BF DS. He was in the NICU for 12 days and was getting BM in a bottle. I *knew* that I could get him to nurse eventually but after a few months of trying and not getting anywhere with my LC, I just gave up and decided to only pump. But I also had almost no milk production on one side and after I went back to work (I stay home now though so that won't be a problem in the future) I finally dried up. I am also very determined to succeed next time too.

That really sucks that her G'ma embarassed her like that... that could like, scar her or something, ya know! Poor kid.

I never really thought that going back to nursing would ever work, but if it did for you, I might try it! I guess it will be up to him because by then he will actually be able to understand one way or the other, kwim? If I tried it at the age he is now, I don't think he would know what the heck was going on.. because he still does that with cups. LOL (He still drinks from a bottle most of the time so he's still more used to that than a cup.) And even if he doesn't want to, no big, he can always cuddle with us anyway while the other baby eats.

Advertisement

urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 07:08 PM   #12
ClarebearNkids
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You know, kudos to you for asking about this!! My situation is a little... ok well ALOT different but here it is for all to see. With DS, I tried so hard to bf but no one in my family was supportive and I was young and dumb and knew nothing about LLL or anything, so I gave up and gave him formula. That was almost 7 years ago. Now with DD, I am successfully bfing and also have over supply issues. So, I pump after Lilyana is done sometimes. Well, B (grew up with UBER allergies, illnesses, etc..) found an avent cup thingie with a lid in the fridge full of bm about a month ago and asked what it was. I told him it was milk (i didnt say it was bm) and he came back to the fridge later on and drank it. Being that he has always been prone to allergies and things, I didn't mind and plus, I always felt UBER guilty for not bfing him, since I've been successful with Lilyana. So every few days, he gets a cup of "susu" milk. He knows it's mama milk and I tell him it's ok for him to have that because I love him and it helps him be healthy. He isn't nursing from me.. but he knows where it comes from. I don't know how long I'll let him have it...but I don't think there is ANY reason to feel odd about it. Perhaps if I had bf him as an infant, I wouldn't be giving him cups of my milk now... but I love my DS and want him to be healthy. Makes sense to me. OK OK OK, I know he's older, but same premise. I mix a bit of strawberry powder in it so it tastes better to him. LOL
Ok, you can all think I'm weird now.. go ahead.
Old 09-16-2006, 07:33 PM   #13
twinsmomkatie
Registered Users
seller

You're not weird! That's pretty cool!

My twins (2 when baby wasa born) wanted to know what their baby brother was doing, so I offered to let them try (they nursed until about 19 months). They were pretty shy about it (which I actually found rather strange), and never did want to nurse. But they DO go around nursing their babies and thier stuffed animals!
Old 09-16-2006, 07:51 PM   #14
sharebear2u
Registered Users
seller

When I had my daughter our oldest was 5. She was VERY premature and I had to pump for almost 2 months before I was able to try nursing. Well, I was so worried about not having enough milk that I way overproduced. The NICU had to buy a bigger freezer! By the time she came home (and all the milk, too) I knew that I had more than I could ever use with her. I really didn't want to throw it out, so I asked the DR what I should do with it. She told me that it would be wonderful for me to give it to DS. He had a dairy allergy and couldn't have cow's milk, but human milk is totally different. He LOVED it because it is totally different from other milks and on the sweet side. The antibodies are very helpful for all ages, not just babies. He mostly had it in his cereal or I would make pudding, things like that.

This time around I plan on pumping for a milk bank.

Sherrie
Old 09-16-2006, 08:52 PM   #15
halyled
Registered Users
seller

I don't think giving milk to an older child is weird at all. How long have humans been around? I don't believe at all that mother's have always just weaned their older children at the magical age of 6 months or one year or 2 years or however long. Breastmilk is easily digestible and it's nutritious. It's even been helpful for people that are seriously ill (such as cancer patients), or so I've read. I think BM would be good for your older child and help his growth, especially if it's added calories on top of whatever else he eats. It has lots of fat and is certainly better for him than cow's milk. Good luck!

halyled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 09:25 PM   #16
mercy589
Registered Users
seller

Kudos to the Dr who told you to give BM to the older DS!! You mamas all rock! Way to go! I think its awesome that you are giving BM to the older babies/ kids, totally healthy and wonderful for them!!!
Christy - breastfeeding, cloth diapering, natural living, homeschooling, homebirthing, stay at home mama to Lucy (9), Julia (7), Esther (4), Isaac (2), and Baby in Oct my blog about healthy living and mothering
mercy589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 09:48 PM   #17
Sarah
No Longer Here

My Mood:

I'm kinda doing this,but with a much older child and not on a really regular basis. I was pumping hoping to take some classes this fall. Not gonna happen,Taci is a mama's girl and thinks bottle contain POISON!!!
I had some BM in the fridge and Sophie(4)wanted it(I think because it was in a bottle),so I gave it to her. Now she's begging for baby milk daily and I give it too her as often as possible. She was breastfed in the beginning so I don't have a problem with it.
Sarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 10:10 PM   #18
meganbuffington
Registered Users

Smile Re: Really strange question about BFing....

Nope...Not strange- Awesome!!!
meganbuffington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 01:02 AM   #19
Julie Durheim
Registered Users

I know of a family that adopted a extremely sick undernourished 2yr old little girl from Africa (weighed something like 12 pounds when they got her!) and she had just had a new baby, and tandem nursed the adopted 2yr old with great results!
The only thing I would caution is since breast milk is so much richer than cows milk, to be sure to mix them at first, just in case!
Julie Durheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 02:44 PM   #20
Mom2Natalya
Registered Users

My Mood:

I think it's great too! We as a society think it's normal to give our children milk from another species, but then think it's weird to give them milk from our own species. Hello?! I don't see anything wrong with it at all, and in fact, DH and I have discussed me continuing to pump after DD weans and until I get PG again so I can give her my milk instead of cow's milk. We are vegetarians and try to avoid dairy.
(a note, I do make sure DD is getting enough calcium, protein, etc from other sources so I am not worried about the lack of cow's milk)

You know when you think about it, several centuries ago (and even more recently) upperclass women often hired "wetnurses" to nurse their babies, and today, having another woman nurse your child would be severly frowned upon by the general public. It's all about what society accepts, kwim?