Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-17-2006, 03:15 PM   #21
KnottyLDSMama
Peachy with a side of keen, that would be me
Formerly: Moonprysm
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Really strange question about BFing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Natalya
You know when you think about it, several centuries ago (and even more recently) upperclass women often hired "wetnurses" to nurse their babies, and today, having another woman nurse your child would be severly frowned upon by the general public. It's all about what society accepts, kwim?
ITA. I have a friend that pumps for my DS. And even though she's not directly nursing him, people look at me like I have 3 heads when I tell them that I give DS donor milk!

Advertisement

KnottyLDSMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 08:44 PM   #22
hfitz5051
Let the rabbits wear glasses!
seller

My Mood:

Doesn't anyone find it more strange that we all drink milk from a cow? I'm sure way back it was perfectly normal.
Old 09-17-2006, 08:59 PM   #23
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for all the positive responses. I like hearing everyone's stories and experiences.

I *have* always thought that drinking cows milk is kind of strange! But more so just because I'm a vegetarian. I still put it in my cereal and cook with it and stuff but I have to try not to think about where it came from.
urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 09:11 PM   #24
greenkmt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, I BF my almost 2 year old still and we are not stopping anytime in the near future. My friend actually 'relactated' her DD after her DS was born. She says that the only thing that stinks is that her DD doesn't nurse correctly but I think if she asked her DD to open up and stick her tongue out, and then suck, it would make it easier. Anyway, nope I don't think it would be odd.
VERY COOL!
greenkmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 09:17 PM   #25
greenkmt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

OH, I wanted to add this as a funny side note. I go to LLL and at just about every meeting, I mention the fact that donating/donated milk is great and just comment about it. I wish I would have known about it when I was having problems with nursing my DS... Although we stuck it out... People don't like to talk about it but I DO! heehee... LLL doesn't have a stand on donating or accepting donated milk that is why I mention it. To add some thought and make sure that everyone knows that it is safer than formula.

I am proud of you for trying again! LLL is good for the support and can help you when you get hom,e if you have problems.
greenkmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 09:43 PM   #26
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yeah, I'm definatly going to seek out a LLL group this time. With DS, I saw three different LCs and none of them could help me. All of them gave up because one of the possibly symptoms of DS's condition is Dysphagia. So they all just thought that he *couldn't* nurse and encouraged me to pump. (I guess their reasoning was that bottle nipples are stiff so that's why he could drink from a bottle?) But I don't believe that anyway. His mouth is no where near paralyzed or anything and he sucks just fine. Plus, we've *just* now started noticing any sign of it and that's just a little excessive drool, nothing more. This time I'm going to listen to what's going on in my own head instead of everyone else making assumptions. I mean, he dissproved almost all thier other prognosis, kwim?
urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 10:05 PM   #27
babygirls2
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenkmt
Well, I BF my almost 2 year old still and we are not stopping anytime in the near future. My friend actually 'relactated' her DD after her DS was born. She says that the only thing that stinks is that her DD doesn't nurse correctly but I think if she asked her DD to open up and stick her tongue out, and then suck, it would make it easier. Anyway, nope I don't think it would be odd.
VERY COOL!
Yup...I had the problem of my DD #1 not latching correctly. I tried to tell her how to, but she really didn't understand. I have a dramatic letdown and in the beginning almost drowned DD #2 every time she nursed. So both of them got used to milk being squirted down their throats. DD #2 is done nursing in a/b 5-10 min total for both breasts...LOL...that is.... when she wants both. I just wish that DD #1 had nursed longer and that my dumb MIL would have kept her mouth shut! Ok I won't go there, but YKWIM!
babygirls2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 04:11 AM   #28
hfitz5051
Let the rabbits wear glasses!
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenkmt
OH, I wanted to add this as a funny side note. I go to LLL and at just about every meeting, I mention the fact that donating/donated milk is great and just comment about it. I wish I would have known about it when I was having problems with nursing my DS... Although we stuck it out... People don't like to talk about it but I DO! heehee... LLL doesn't have a stand on donating or accepting donated milk that is why I mention it. To add some thought and make sure that everyone knows that it is safer than formula.

I am proud of you for trying again! LLL is good for the support and can help you when you get hom,e if you have problems.

The birth center that I go to runs a milk bank for donated breast milk. That might be a place for people to look?
Old 09-19-2006, 12:28 AM   #29
Mom2Natalya
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonprysm
ITA. I have a friend that pumps for my DS. And even though she's not directly nursing him, people look at me like I have 3 heads when I tell them that I give DS donor milk!
I wanted to give away my milk- I pumped a lot of extra!! But I couldn't find anyone that wanted it and the donor places would only take over 300oz and I had about 140oz. Had to throw it out. What a waste!!!
Old 09-19-2006, 12:29 AM   #30
Mom2Natalya
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfitz5051
Doesn't anyone find it more strange that we all drink milk from a cow? I'm sure way back it was perfectly normal.
yes actually, I do.