Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-12-2008, 04:29 AM   #1
thepinkdragon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Acid reflux = stop breastfeeding????

My friend's sister has a newborn that was diagnosed with acid reflux along with the mom having overactive letdown. So basically they told her she needed to stop breastfeeding and put him on Zantac and some kind of special formula that costs $13 a can. Why would they do that? I don't understand the logic. He isn't allergic to breastmilk. I think that my DS may possibly have acid reflux and I do have some issues with overactive letdown and am afraid the ped may tell me to stop breastfeeding, which I do not want to do. Can anyone tell me why they would tell her to stop breastfeeding? I can't figure out why.

Advertisement

Last edited by thepinkdragon; 05-12-2008 at 04:31 AM. Reason: added info
thepinkdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 04:32 AM   #2
Delaney
Registered Users
seller

Re: Acid reflux = stop breastfeeding????

Heck no! Reflux is an issue with the valve being immature! How could breastmilk contribute! I would say that perhaps laying down might be the problem but you could remedy that by laying to the side. Formula my butt!
Old 05-12-2008, 09:46 AM   #3
MamaBink
Registered Users
seller

That is some terrible advice. My 2.5 month old has reflux and is being treated with Zantac. I also have OALD which can aggrivate reflux but my ped said that breastmilk is the best thing for a baby with reflux (or any baby for that matter). Breastmilk is so easy to digest that the stomach empties quicker than that of a formula fed baby thus reducing the opportunity for reflux to occur. Your friend should try block feeding (feeding baby off of one side for a four hour block). I did that and it seemed to tame my supply enough that he's not choking/gagging/coughing with letdown as much. She can also feed her LO sidelying or leaning back in a recliner so that gravity will help her LO to not be overwelmed with the flow of milk. Zantac can help BUT I wouldn't recommend it unless her LO isn't gaining weight due to the reflux or seems to be in pain from it. Just my two cents
L born 01/11
MamaBink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 12:45 PM   #4
mommypockets
Registered Users
seller

Same thing here! My ped said that breastmilk is the BEST thing for reflux bc it breaks down so quickly as opposed to formula!

I also have os&oald. 6-months here. We just weaned from Prevacid and still blockfeed.

mommypockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 12:49 PM   #5
TieNappyQueen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

so many good answers.
tell her to pump for a minute before feeding to slow the flow, cut out diary entirely and keep baby upright all the time! pm me if you need to, btdt twice now!
Old 05-12-2008, 01:37 PM   #6
Irishmommy
Registered Users
seller

I pump a little before each feeding, and keep my baby upright (patting him) for about 30min. and it has really helped my letdown and his reflux!
*****No longer anxiously awaiting Aiden - He's HERE!!****
Irishmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 01:44 PM   #7
keedalee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My little one had acid reflux and I also had overactive letdown. We kept breastfeeding and DD was put on Prevacid. She was able to stop taking this aout 9 months or so. No issues now. I breastfed her until she weaned herself at one year.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:54 PM   #8
thepinkdragon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks ladies! I knew it was terrible advice. Problem is she already stopped breastfeeding and is feeding him formula now. I don't know her just her sister so I will relay the information but I have a feeling we are too late. She probably won't want to do the work to get her supply back.

In other news I did some more research on reflux and I think it is possible my DS just overeats and spits up more than I thought he should. Although if he spits up over an hour later and it is curdled (because of being mixed with stomach acid) is that technically vomit or is it still spit up? Sometimes it gushes out of his mouth and nose but it really isn't ever projectile. I have been block feeding to reduce my OALD and it is getting better but he still spits up a lot even after I keep him elevated for 30+ minutes. It doesn't seem to hurt him though. Any ideas?

thepinkdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 09:35 PM   #9
myakylemom
Registered Users
seller

My dd had reflux and I bfed her until she weaned herself at 9 months (she's kinda independent) and my doc never said anything about stopping bfing. She was on meds until she was 2. I thought my ds had reflux too and again my doc didn't say to stop bfing. It seems like breastmilk would be easier to digest so it would cause less problems??

ISO: CHEAP wool sweaters or sweater parts
myakylemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 09:37 PM   #10
ChunkiBunz Diaperz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my son has had severe reflux since he was born and you just have to make sure he is at an angle when your nursing him, when hes sleeping, he doesnt lay flat onthe floor or bed for long at all. because it comes back up. you just have to watch what you eat so it doesn contribute. but you shouldnt have to stop nursing. my son is taking reaglan, axid(similar to zantac) so she could still nurse!

Check out River City Boutique -Blog & HC You can Fan me at the bottom of my HC
NWI Natural Family Living Fair 8-2010-Blog & Fan Page more info to come
[/FONT]
ChunkiBunz Diaperz is offline   Reply With Quote