Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 05-12-2008, 01:49 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
My "brand new" breast pump was used

Saturday night my partner and I were at the store and we found an electric pump. We decided to pick it up as when we priced checked it was $45. It was abouyt $10 off. The box was pretty beat up, but it was the only one they had. I'd LOVE to have a fancy pump, but we can't afford it. My supply tanked while I was on vacation, but i've been doing everything I can to bring it back. I have a manual pump, Avent Isis, but I can't get a lot we decided to buy the electric pump.

This morning I was pulling out the pieces to wash them before I used it and one of the bottles had a ring of milk in the bottom of it. It wasn't a lot, but you could tell it had been used.

Yeah I could just wash it and use the pump, but I think that is so nasty. I want to bring the pump back, but i'm worried they will make a scene or act like I left the milk in it or tell me since I bought it on sale it's mine. I know they can't take them back if they'd been opened, or so I thought. I didn't even pay attention to it when I opened it....ugh.

It's just gross....I feel like breastfeeding is becoming a challenge now. I'm doing everything I can to get my supply back up.

I don't know the point of this post besides me venting.
It's just gross.

I packed it all back up and it's sitting in the box in my livingroom now. I don't want to tell my partner because he will be like "that wouldn't happen with formula". He's supportive of me breastfeeding, but he'd be just as supportive of formula feeding...he doesn't care either way as long as our baby is fed. I don't want to feel like I wasted $45 (that's a lot of money to us right now) but I feel like, even though it was on sale, that I was buying a new pump, so I expect a new pump....ya know?

I don't know if this is the right place for this...but I wanted to get it out somewhere

Partner to my S Mama to my Gabby and Duncan
Beaners_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 02:14 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: My "brand new" breast pump was used

Oh take it back for sure!!! Take your receipt and say hey look I just bought this pump, took it home to use it and I can tell its obviously been used...tell them its not safe and they need to be sure NOT to put it back out on their shelves. Which store was it? I know walmart is so great about returns which can also be bad, someone bringing that pump back for one.

Check ebay!
Brittany~ Mama to Aaron(8),Dylan(6) and Tanner (4) and Leila (Oct/09) Cody Feb 17
Poohb10454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 02:18 PM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:

do you qualify for wic? if you do, they can loan you out a hospital grade electric pump so you might want to try that.
Dear Baby in my Belly, Please come out. Seriously. It's like a 100 degrees here, IN CANADA. Your dad has taken to calling me puffy. I get that you're a dude and the last thing you want to do is leave a place you're going to spend the rest of your life trying to get back into, but enough. Your room is really cool, come out and see it. Sincerely, Love Mummy
sourpatch_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 04:26 PM   #4
Registered Users

Yeah, I would totally take it back. If they do make a scene, I would be very insistent. All major retailers (and every not-so-major retailer I've been to) have policies against accepting returns of breastpumps b/c it is considered a health hazard.
I, personally, don't have a problem with used pumps. I just make sure to boil all the parts that come in contact with milk and/or buy new parts. But I really only do that in case the previous owner had yeast or mastitis...
Mama to our beautiful baby girl, born 01/06/08
Donate breastmilk or connect with donors free of charge here.
quietdusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 09:22 PM   #5
Registered Users

Yeah, I would definitely take it back. But like PP post said, you could also just boil it.
melodyjstray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 09:34 PM   #6
Registered Users
My Mood:

I would call ahead and talk to a manager so that you can him/her what happened and find out what the stores policies are. I wouldn't wait, do it as soon as possible, and make sure you have your receipt.
Robyn: soggy mama to Hayley 10, Cameron 8, and Madison 2!
Apart of the best moms club in the Merrimack Valley. GNMC Rocks!
FSOT: Wool, AI2s, Girly clothes, Random goodies, Crafts, Fitteds, Maternity shorts
ISO: Girly ToddlerHawk, Any kind of yarn, A yarn swift, Advocacy Ts in 3T for DD or L/XL for me (BF or CD), PP
aboutachild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 10:42 PM   #7
Registered Users
My Mood:

I would take it back and just tell them that when you opened it you could tell its used. Show them the bottle with the milk and tell them its a health hazard. Unless they are complete a$$es they should take it back without a problem.
Melanie, Wife to Jamie, Doula, and mom to Lydia Vera 7/6/06, Juliet Marin 3/16/08, and Virginia Kay born at home 12/26/09!!

Baltic Creations co-op now open
lydiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 10:45 PM   #8
Registered Users

They can't sell a used pump. They shouldn't have accepted it back from the previous user. I think you need to talk to a manager. They need to give you a great deal on another one, sealed and new.

ETA: I meant to say, way to go!! You are doing a great job and truly giving your baby the best milk. Keep it up--what a good momma!
Jenny-CD'ing for 9 years!
Check my albums! Lots of Hannas to clear out.

Last edited by wear_your_baby; 05-12-2008 at 10:47 PM.
wear_your_baby is offline   Reply With Quote