Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-16-2006, 01:43 PM   #1
keegans_mommy
I had the CD wagon impounded!
seller

My Mood:
Non-vaxing mamas: NB in hospital question

Ok, I know that my other babies got the vit. K shot and the silver nitrate in the eyes (am I right in these? LOL) I know the reasons for them but is there other ways to get them? I think I read someplace for the BFing mother to take suppliments for the vit. k but what about the eyes stuff? Is that truly necessary and what are the side effects of it? Is it that big of a deal? And do these things fall under the "no vax excemption" so we would have to take our exemption letter with us?

Advertisement

Old 09-16-2006, 02:36 PM   #2
rxmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Non-vaxing mamas: NB in hospital question

It's not silver nitrate in the eyes, it's Erythromycin. That's to prevent eye infections that lead to blindness - usually caused by an infection or STD in the mother. A large study found it was much, much cheaper to treat every newborn infant and prevent blindness in just a few. I'm sure you could ask for that not to be done but I don't know of any harmful effects from one treatment.

The Vitamin K prevents hemorrhagic disease of the newborn - vitamin K is a fat-soluble vitamin and newborns are born with a certainly supply of it that will last them for a bit. The vitamin is not very well absorbed when taken orally. I know there's more to it than that...but I don't know where my pediatric notes are at the moment, sorry!
Annie, pharmacist mommy to Olivia 8/04, Evelyn 3/06, angel baby #3 10/08, Sophia 1/10 and Isaac 6/12
rxmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 02:42 PM   #3
keegans_mommy
seller

My Mood:

Thank you for the correction on the eye stuff That is a big word for me

Now for the vit. k, it would work for me to take extra suppliments that would go through the BM right?
Old 09-16-2006, 02:50 PM   #4
KnottyLDSMama
Peachy with a side of keen, that would be me
Formerly: Moonprysm
seller
seller

My Mood:

My hospital MADE us do both. I was severely upset, trust me. Nothing like them handing you your precious baby to look at for the first time, and their eyes are all goopy and they can't even see you. PLEASE stand up for your right not to have it. I was so out of it and just...UGH. I am hating myself for letting them bully me around. Unless you have an STD, it is totally and completely unnessisary.

Now the vit K shot I didn't want him to have, either. From what I understand, it has to do with helping the blood to clot. I ended up being glad that we did get it, b/c DS had to have so much blood taken all the time for his jaundice. But I think it's most nes. for people who are circ'ing in the hospital. (As an interesting side note, an infants vit. k kicks in on day 8, and that is traditionally when jews are supposed to circ, so it wouldn't be an issue there.)
KnottyLDSMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 03:00 PM   #5
keegans_mommy
seller

My Mood:

We do not plan to circ. if we were to have another boy and I am clean in the STD department So I will educate myself more on the vit. k area. I guess I will have to take the exemption letter to the hospital then huh?

Ok, just want to have that education under my belt waaaaaaaay in advance OH, plus, my OB is great! He let me have my birth everyway I wanted to, stood back and let me make the decisions and I even told the nurse what size of needle was to be placed in my hand for that stupid IV they make you have So this may not be really an issue at all. He know's I am a "natural" mama
Old 09-16-2006, 03:24 PM   #6
KnottyLDSMama
Peachy with a side of keen, that would be me
Formerly: Moonprysm
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have a really awesome OB, too, but unfortunately she wasn't the one giving him all this CRAP. UGH. And she was like, 7 months pregnant when she delivered Xander, too. lol She even knew we were planning a UC, so she knew how upset I was with having to come in and be induced. But she was great about it. I wasn't even supposed to get out of bed because of the crap they had to give me for my b/p, but she let a really nice nurse stay in my room, and the nurse helped me get on the birthing ball and all (which was a GODSENT...I didn't even know I was in transition until she checked me once I got back in bed and I was 9 1/2 cm). lol
KnottyLDSMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 03:27 PM   #7
janendragon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

if you dont want either, you dont have to do either, you can refuse any procedure, make sure you say its on religious ground if they try to question you about it, and you cannot have your kids taken away because of it either (if they threaten that)

SAHM to my crazy toddler
janendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 03:51 PM   #8
tararaboomdeea
Banned
sitesupporter

We did the Vit K shot because it helps them clot their blood. Since Noah was a preemie, both my MW and the Ped suggested we should just to be on the safe side. We did not do the eye drops and had to tell the nurses BEFORE we gave birth. I also typed up something to hang on my door and on his chart. You have to tell them you don't want it because it is standard and you don't have to sign a waiver for it like you do with Hep B. It's to prevent blindness in case a baby is born to a Mother whose STD status is unkown. But I know mine, so we didn't need it Nobody asked me any questions or gave me a hard time about our refusal of them.
tararaboomdeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 04:13 PM   #9
rxmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm really not sure about vitamin K in breastmilk. I don't know that it transfers well and that's why they give the IM dose at birth. I could look it up but nak, don't want to wake baby! lol. Maybe somebody else has a link for you?
Annie, pharmacist mommy to Olivia 8/04, Evelyn 3/06, angel baby #3 10/08, Sophia 1/10 and Isaac 6/12
rxmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 04:23 PM   #10
janendragon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i reccomend you ask this question on the mothering.com vaccination board. those ladies have alot of info and experience with this.

SAHM to my crazy toddler
janendragon is offline   Reply With Quote