Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-12-2008, 06:07 PM   #1
earena
Registered Users
seller

pain meds

I am having a root canal tomorrow and all I hear is that it is going to hurt like h*ll and that I should take some good pain killers, but I am nursing my 17 month old. I haver some tylenol with codeine that my dumb dr gave me knowing that I am BF but I have read not to take that. Can I take anything besides Motrin?

Advertisement

Want to make a real income staying at home? Ask me about ChaCha and how much I have been paid!!PM me for details!
earena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:24 PM   #2
MaeghanAlyson
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: pain meds

I honestly think you can esp. since your baby is 17 months old. I have been on lortabs and muscle relaxors with no side effects to my baby. I got the OKAY with taking them. I wouldnt see why you couldnt take them. How many tiems is he nursing in a day?
MaeghanAlyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:27 PM   #3
starsandlollipops
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I got darvaset (or percaset) when I had my wisdom teeth removed- DD was little and had no affect on her, my dentist said that's what they give to breastfeeding women?
Old 05-12-2008, 09:49 PM   #4
lydiamom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think they even give you percoset at the hospital after having a baby if you need something stronger than motrin.

Last year I had a tooth absess and it was the worst pain I've ever been in. I was breastfeeding but I REALLY needed to take vicodin so I ended up having to formula feed for a few days and pump & dump . I only had to do it for a couple of days though so it wasn't too bad. If you are in a ton of pain and need something really strong you could do that.

Oh and FWIW I have had 2 root canals in the past (yeah, bad teeth ) and I think with both of them I got along fine with just Motrin and tylonel.

Baltic Creations co-op now open
lydiamom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 09:54 PM   #5
rebelbets
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lydiamom View Post
Last year I had a tooth absess and it was the worst pain I've ever been in. I was breastfeeding but I REALLY needed to take vicodin so I ended up having to formula feed for a few days and pump & dump . I only had to do it for a couple of days though so it wasn't too bad. If you are in a ton of pain and need something really strong you could do that.
You shouldn't have had to pump and dump while on Vicodin. I was given Vicodin after my c-section.

After I had my VBAC, my doctor prescribed Percoset for the pain from my third degree tear. There are definitely pain meds you can take while BFing.

-Betsy
Old 05-12-2008, 10:46 PM   #6
paintedbison
Registered Users
seller

Darvocet is probably the safest strong pain meds you can take. There is that risk that you could be a fast metabolizer of hydrocodone and baby could get too much (that is in vicodin). We would give Darvocet on postpartum after c/sections. I'd get that.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:39 AM   #7
earena
Registered Users
seller

Thanks mamas! I will ask for the darvocet if it hurts too much or maybe just in case. I already take Paxil so I feel guilty when I take anything. He still nurses alot for a 17 month old I think. It is more for comfort than anything else, I really would love to stop but he will not have it!! He nurses in the morning, at nap time, anytime I sit down!! And all night long.

Want to make a real income staying at home? Ask me about ChaCha and how much I have been paid!!PM me for details!
earena is offline   Reply With Quote