View Poll Results: Which Would You Buy?
PISA For $215 8 72.73%
Freestyle for $285 3 27.27%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-13-2008, 11:07 AM   #1
Malenkaya
Registered Users
seller

Definitely A Medela - But Which?

So I found a great deal on Medela pumps and have decided I need to break down and get one. I was hoping for the Pump In Style Advanced and I have found a website that has great deals on both that model and the brand new Freestyle. I figured until this point the Freestyle was way out of bounds (being the newest model and way pricey) but from this particular website I can get the new Freestyle for just a few bucks more than I expected to have to pay for the PISA model. Of course that means her prices on the PISA are lower than I thought I could ever find. So now I'm torn. I was expecting to have to come up with about as much as she charges for the Freestyle just to get the PISA.

I know both pumps would be great. I have no question about that. Part of my problem (that I share with DH) is that we are techno junkies. We always want the newest most advanced model of anything. So as cool as it is to find the lower price on what I originally wanted, knowing I can get the newest model for about what I thought I would be spending originally is kind of tough to pass up.

Here's the breakdown:

The PISA is $215 (retail is $280)
The Freestyle is $285 (retail is $439)

Before this website, the best deal I could get was $260 for the PISA. So $285 for the freestyle is pretty tempting. Of course, $215 is sounding pretty sweet to me as well.

This retailer is in the state of Texas (where I am) and shipping is just $5. Not to mention being in the state means it will get here quickly, and I'd really like it to be here before Ella is born. I have a prescription I will need to fax to her because otherwise (being in the same state) Texas would require her to add sales tax to my order.

Just thought I'd add, here is a comparison chart for features between the two models:

http://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com...oducts/463,352

The gal who runs the website is a lactation consultant and says the Freestyle isn't quite as powerful as the PISA, but most women who've used both don't really notice a difference. (Never having used a pump before I don't think that's an issue for me.) As much as the hands free is cool, that's not so much the selling point for me. The new Freestyle has features the PISA does not - an LED display (for those of us pumping in the middle of the night - what?), a session timer and a memory button (that saves the settings once you find what works best for you). Those struck me as possibly cost worthy add ons. It's also supposed to be a lighter, more portable model, and I've heard complaints here and there about the bulk of the PISA. Although I always felt if that was the biggest complaint, it's got to be a pretty good product.

This is our first child, of either 2 or 3. I plan to use the pump for all our kids, so I do consider this an investment. Despite what I say about being a technology junkie, I do want to buy a good pump just once.

BTW, baby is due next Friday so I'm hoping to make this decision quickly.

What would you do?

Advertisement

Last edited by Malenkaya; 05-13-2008 at 11:08 AM.
Malenkaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 11:11 AM   #2
blossomgoat
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Definitely A Medela - But Which?

I'd get the PISA and spend the extra $75 elsewhere on something else you need. Maybe get a hands-free pumping bra? Or some of those softer breast sheilds, or an extra set of bottles/gel cooler/insulated bag. The Freestyle just seems to have bells and whistles that you don't need.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:16 AM   #3
odentonmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I didn't vote because I have never used a Freestyle. I have owned 1 PIS and 1 PISA and been happy with them. I like to Freestyle concept, but it is so new that I worry that there will be bugs to work out. I hate buying something when it first comes out, then they improve it and come out with another one the next year.

Medela makes quality products. With either one, I doubt you will be disappointed though.

Best of luck for a great birth and BFing experience.
Help Keep Dr. Jack Newman's Breastfeeding Clinic open, click here for info & to donate.
odentonmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 11:25 AM   #4
smilelykylie
Registered Users
seller

I voted PISA. I have one and it worked very well for me. You said the hands free wasn't a selling point for you so that helped sway my decision as that was the only feature I saw being worth any additional money. As for the strength issue. The PISA had way more than I ever needed so I don't think that should matter.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:00 PM   #5
odentonmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What a coincidence. Someone from my LLL group just sent me a link to an article about the Freestyle in the Washington Post.
Help Keep Dr. Jack Newman's Breastfeeding Clinic open, click here for info & to donate.
odentonmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 01:14 PM   #6
Malenkaya
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by odentonmom View Post
What a coincidence. Someone from my LLL group just sent me a link to an article about the Freestyle in the Washington Post.
Thanks! That was very interesting. Too bad each woman had such completely different thoughts on the product. This would be a lot easier if all of them (or at least two of three) thought it was either the greatest thing since sliced bread or the biggest waste of money ever.

For the price difference, I'm leaning towards the PISA. Tried and true, according to most of the people I've talked to. Still, the price break off retail on the Freestyle is something I can't seem to get out of my head. Having no previous pumping experience, I do think either product would be something I'll be impressed with.

Then again, why am I seeing the Freestyle turning into what Vista means to Windows? Yeah, it's new, but boy does it have a long way to go!
Old 05-13-2008, 01:48 PM   #7
Poohb10454
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I voted PISA..I love mine and its held up amazingly through 3 kids...I'd say just invest in a hands free pumping bra.

Id be hesitant to spend that much money on a product that is iffy...ive heard both ways about the freestyle..yet almost everything ive ever heard on the PISA has been great.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:56 PM   #8
Malenkaya
Registered Users
seller

Definitely leaning more and more towards the PISA.

An interesting sidenote - I just got off the phone with my insurance company (Humana, which we get through DH's work) and there is absolutely no coverage for a breast pump. Nada, zip, zero. I've had so many people say check with your insurance because sometimes they will pay for it. I've also had people say have them put it on the hospital bill because they don't itemize and your insurance will pay for it. My hospital does not sell breast pumps, something else I found odd. To top it off, I asked about medical necessity - most insurance plans will cover the breast pump if after baby is born and it's deemed medically necessary - if she would be in the NICU for example. Humana says no. It's up to you, we don't help with a breast pump regardless of your situation. Does that sound crappy or what?

I also asked about a lactation consultant. If I meet with one in the hospital they will cover it. Once we leave the hospital, we are completely on our own.

Humana doesn't sound very BF friendly to me. And they have otherwise been wonderful - the plan and coverage, aside from this, has been better than anything I've ever had before.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:45 PM   #9
llmangan
Registered Users
seller

The hands free option is nice but not a selling point for me... The one thing about the Freestyle that makes me consider upgrading is the smaller size. Lugging the PISA around is a PITA! It is really heavy and my DH and I commute pretty far. I'm glad that he carries it for me most of the way to my office... If anyone knew what was in that bag they might do a double take as he walks by...
Old 05-13-2008, 02:49 PM   #10
ForCryingOutLoud
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have PISA backpack and I love it! I don't use it often, but actually not a pain to carry it around.

I never tried a freestyle, but I would save the extra $75.